· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / OTF - Problems / Solutions?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
cameronjb756
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 17:37

I'd love to get involved in Simming! I RP a lot outside of OTF and I have OTF Simmed before. I'm definitely in if it gets revived.

I write a lot as well, and have simmed stuff about that but I'd love do other Sci-Fi Rps!

quincyw
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 21:43

*Waves hands* Can we bring this meeting to order?

Firstly, whenever I write "Simming" with a Capital S, it's referring to the Simming Team. Whenever I write "RPing", it's the act of simming, to use characters and storylines etc in conjunction with other players.

I'm reasonably certain we can rebuild the Simming Team. But just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Not yet.

A lot of people think I'm direct and that I'm a pretty heartless son-of-a-proverbial. True. But I'm also honest and fair and I like to think that age and the real world have mellowed me (and a healthy dose of retail management to humble me). I've always come at problems practically and pragmatically. I roll up my sleeves and charge in when there's work to be done. I lead from the front.

But what most people don't see clearly is this. Work ethic: Hands on. Management ethic: Hands off.

My decisions made, as Simming TL, have often been unilateral. Often with little or no consultation with my staff... Such as my decision to disband the team. But I do have reasons for having done so. It was practical and pragmatical.

The big reason I closed Simming in the first place was because we had a lot of good effort run by a bunch of passionate folks that went to waste. Good premises, characters and a whole lot of other things. We built it, people didn't show up. Frustrations mounted.

And, by the way, I'd like to state for the record (because people will bring this up to attack my credibility) 10F partially (in conjunction with a few real life things) actually caused me to have a nervous breakdown. Some of the older members will remember a rather spectacular meltdown many years back. A lot of it was caused by Simming and I got through it, ironically, with the help of Simming.

After Simming, I decided to slowly indulge my passion. Writing for myself. Because my wonderful storylines were being ruined and neglected. Others didn't care, so I wrote for the one person that did care, the only person that counted: Me.

That's why I'm so cautiously optimistic, ladies and gentlemen: Been there, done that. I have the credibility, the experiences and the scars to prove it.

That said, I've never managed to, as Homer Simpson once said "start a project from the ground floor", so I'm going to try and make some prescient remarks here.

We're going to go through our optimism age: We're going to start off with a single Sim. There's going to be modest, but increasing interest. Our second Sim of whatever description is going to be launched. Ball starts rolling. Then a third Sim. Momentum is gained.

Our so-called cathedrals, our monuments, our grand designs start springing up. Simming enters a golden age.

Decay sets in, members start drifting in and out of Simming. Our lovely Sims slowly chug along but start sputtering out after a while. This is our twilight age.

The big big issue we're going to face is entropy. RPs, by definition, are closed systems. Everyone here has heard me wax on about the USS Lexington. Already one person has said they probably won't participate, which narrows down the beginning state.

The reason why Simming goes through this cycle time and time again (and 10F in general) is because people get interested and join up, some bright ones make a big change, but for the most part, people don't stay. Energy leaves the system.

I said I was going to make a prescient remark, so here it is: I give the rebuilt Simming Team one year at most.

I fully appreciate that everyone wants in and make an effort of it and wish you all the best of luck because I'm not going to be part of it. Yes, make your faces, throw your hands up in frustration because I've been the most passionate advocate of Simming in particular, RPing in general and a voice of change to make 10F better.

Because as I write this (been about forty minutes since I started), in collecting these thoughts together, I have run through my own scenario and found it too depressing. My USS Lexington could well launch and run for a good while. My prologue will get rave reviews and comments.

Then entropy sets in. I, once again will get frustrated and while I won't have a nervous breakdown, I'll end up hanging my coveted Simming buffs and walking off into the sunset. Again. My RPing turns into writing for my own enjoyment. Again.

So on that pessimistic note, I thank all of you and especially Tanya for your attention and support. But it's not something I'm going to be participating in.

Thank you, good luck and Godspeed.

quincyw
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 11:40

Well that brought things to a standstill. Some of you think it weird I'm writing separate replies to my posts instead of merely editing them. I believe in letting my posts stand as they are. Flawed concepts, bad grammar, whatever. Which is why I write responses afterwards to (re)clarify a few things.

I speak of entropy. Think of a glass of water. Full good, half full/empty okay. Empty not so good.

The purpose of this thread has been to try and rebuild 10F back to the old days. Glass full. But 10F v2.0 is in the past, it's done, it's over. Now we empty part of the glass to half full/empty. We will literally label it water under the bridge. It's gone. Not coming back.

I suppose you should call it symbolism then, my little pep talk, such as it is. I know it's very demoralising. You can actually see very slight disjoints where I started writing (the optimistic phase and then I went back and wrote everything else) and then changed my tune.

I suppose it's correct to say I represent the 2.0 mindset. The last gasp of legacy. We can't go back to 2.0 again, nor should we. That's why I shouldn't participate. I'm too battle scarred, too embittered from my experiences.

I want the next generation (no pun intended!) to start afresh. A clean break from the old guard. Without any baggage.

You, Trinity, Sidious, Cameron, T'Pel are the next generation. The change that brings us to 3.0 You get to make the latest iteration of 10F the way you want it, not the way it used to be. Make New Simming what it should be.

O Brave New World.

darth_sidious
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 15:45

As a member for 14 years, it's strange to be called the new generation

But I see your point, and I wouldn't want to drag you through something that caused so much pain (as well as good memories too I assume), so I respect your choice, and hopefully we can build something awesome still

I agree that building a clone of the old team is not the way to go, though it may reflect some of what existed. As a member of Simming before, a lot of my ideas where ignored, and I ended up taking a lot of members of OTF to form an RP board called The Pioneers later re-named to Black Moon Rising.

Originally, I had wanted The Pioneers to be a part of OTF, and indeed the first view sims where held in the chat, but affiliating a seperate board never flew with the management, and that's why I took things my own way.

Not that I'm saying that's what needs to be done now, if I remember correctly, there wasn't a OTF forum back then, and I'm not certain how active the current Simming thread is, but it's something that would need to be discussed but a Team once formed.

And a Team is what's needed. I found that when I was on the team before, there where too many members and not enough voices. So I think a smaller team is essential to keep things running smoothly, but we also need to bare in mind suggestions from the Simming community of OTF if we want to survive as well.

So I think the biggest question is now, can we get a role call for those who seriously would like to be on the Team? Then we can start organizing skill sets and delegating work to get things rolling

darth_sidious
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 20:14

Ok, I've got a small team together, we are working on a proposal, and we shall post it in a separate thread soon. If anyone else is interested in joining, please let me know

soka
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 23:22 · Edited by: soka

Quoting: quincyw
The purpose of this thread has been to try and rebuild 10F back to the old days. Glass full. But 10F v2.0 is in the past, it's done, it's over. Now we empty part of the glass to half full/empty. We will literally label it water under the bridge. It's gone. Not coming back.

I believe you misunderstand the purpose of this thread - It's not about how we can go back to v2. It's about what we can improve to make it more attractive to old *and* new people again.

Yes, some things from back then are being missed, and that is the reason why people suggest to revive them. They are known, they have worked (for a more or less long while) and they were fun. And new things are harder to come up with - and even with new things out the old ones would still be missed.

But that is not why I created the thread. I didn't think hey let's make this thread to get teams (enter names) up and running again.

I made it because Robert's had gotten off at a bad start and I wanted a fresh start to discuss what can be done to get it improved again. Exactly how to attract the new generation without losing the old one.

Having said that ... I'm really happy you are all so enthusiastic about Simming and try to get it up again - but if you don't mind, move the discussion to the dedicated Simming thread T'Pel created please.

darth_sidious
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 05:26

No Problem Soka, I was kinda redirected here after the talk turned to Simming, so I only glanced at the first posts. I've now started posting in the Simming Thread

If I have any other ideas on how to improve OTF otherwise, I'll be sure to post here

david1
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 00:32

Awwww yeeee.

Ill put up a servey in the next few days, regarding the core issue at hand with this thread.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0