· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows SPOILERS
ohm
# Posted: 20 Jul 2007 07:09

Read the book yet, need to get something of your chest or perhaps just want to discuss how it all came together? Here's a forum thread just for you, where you can reveal spoilers to your hearts content.

haydenc
# Posted: 21 Jul 2007 19:14

Whew, Im glad they had this.
Im very dissapointed she killed Fred Weasley and Hedwig(I cried when these 2 things happened) :(
Its not my favorite of all the books. Im glad Ron and Hermione got married as well as Harry and Ginny :)
Its disgusting when George loses one of his ears :P  Its a very sad book, because people are getting killed left and right :(
Most of the books is just Harry, Ron, and Hermione which I didnt mind but I do like when we discuss other characters:P
I cant believe Lupin and Tonks get married, have a child, whom they name Harry Godfather too, and then they die
It was definatley the most emotional of all the books
Mad Eye Moody dies also. I like when Harry stuns Umbridge right in the face :D Collin Creevey gets killed along with 50 other people after the end of the battle at hogwarts. Really really really sad :(

krillen488
# Posted: 22 Jul 2007 03:22

All I can say is that this is THE BEST BOOK i have EVER read. That's saying something considering i've probably read close to 75 or so actual Novels and so far i havn't encountered anything that comes close to the fan following or the emotions created by this book and this series. All i know is the lack of new Harry Potter books will be a sad realisation but there are 2 things left to look forward to. The final 2 movies which i'm sure will blow our minds away, though i can't possibly see these next 2 being any shorter than 3 hours.... if they cut out alot that is.

iain
# Posted: 22 Jul 2007 15:30

(Brandi here - too lazy to log in as myself).

Overall, it was a good book. I'll admit it. (Iain says it was a great book).

But the whole wand thing was so technical I thought I was going to stab MYSELF with a wand. It was a lot of ... waffle ... to get through to get to the good parts. Also, in the previous editions of Harry Potter they translated things better from 'British English' to 'American English' and this time they did a horrible job at it. (I mean, motorbike? Totally British. And a few of the terms I had to ask Iain! )

Also, Kreacher really turned around. I hated him in book 5 but in book 7? He completely ruled. Harry figured out how to be friends with him, as Sirius never bothered, and it made a good ending! I mean, come on, Kreacher fighting the Dark Lord? Awesome!

Overall, though, I was happy with it. I thought it tied up things pretty well. My expectations were way too high, of course, but I was mostly happy.

But I'd have been happier with more Luna. =P

(Iain now)

I loved the book, especially after about 400 pages, I was addicted to finishing it. The Severus Snape parts were wonderfully done in particular. It actually brought tears to my eyes rereading the end of Snape's life, after having read the following chapter.

I'm not writing a long waffly thing, like some people, who are glaring at me now, but wonderful book. Go Harry Potter.

~Iain

demonvamp
# Posted: 22 Jul 2007 19:24

Epilogue sucked, other than that, two thumbs up.

QD

leia1
# Posted: 23 Jul 2007 19:27

I definatly almost cried when Percy was so broken over the loss of his little brother.....although i'm glad that it was percy and not george...THAT would have made me cry.  And so this business with Snape....i mean WHAT THE FREAKIN HECK??......it irritated me greatly....but all in all it was an amazing.  Out of the 4 people that have the book here on camp i'm the only one that's finished it....it's irritating not being able to talk about it :(  ok....i'm done
~Paige

crewmannick
# Posted: 25 Jul 2007 01:48

Ahh, kinda sad how this will be the last book...it's almost like Rowling added the Epilogue just to solidify that...

All-in-all, I think this is one of the best of the series. I couldn't believe the deaths though...Fred, Hedwig, Moody, Tonks, Lupin, Colin, Dobby, just to name a few...couldn't care less about Voldemort or Snape though lol.

The Epilogue...Didn't care much for Harry & Ginny's childrens' names, but I'm glad they married...

*sigh* It's like a part of my childhood died when I finished this book...I started reading the series when I was 9  :(

quincyw
# Posted: 27 Jul 2007 00:11

I'm glad one of my predictions bore out: Harry was a Horcrux. Therefore, he had to die in order for Moldyvort to be killed. Albeit I was wrong in that Harry returned to life...

I pretty much cried when Percy returned...

I cheered rather loudly when Mrs Weasley duelled Bellatrix.

Is it just me, or did anyone else smile with Mister Weasley's Patronus being a weasel? (Thus making Draco's comments in Book 2 (sic) about being weasels ironic)

polson
# Posted: 28 Jul 2007 20:24

Well I liked the book.  I found the first half of it rather uninteresting.  I merely plugged away because I knew it would turn out to be crucial to the finale of the book.  I really hate the moody teenage stuff Rowling puts Harry and Ron through in like every book.  I just want to scream "Get over yourselves!" at them.

This book did not make me cry.  I am a big time crier in books but this one had little to no emotional effect on me that way.  I was not shocked by the death of Mad Eye, the closest I got to being emotional was Dobby's death, as for Fred well I didn't really believe it for a while so it didn't really hit me.  Tonks and Lupin made me mad...

Snape, hello, I always knew Dumbledore had something on him, so I was not surprised in the least for part in things.  I was mildly sad at his passing.  But he was a slimeball so not too sad.

Harry's death and resurection.  Well I can tell you I saw that one coming a mile away!!!!  I didn't realize he was a horocrux though until Dumbledore began explaining to Snape how it all fit together and then I just put the book down and said, "Ah, crap, I know where this is going..." and I was right...but I also fully expected Harry to come back, especially the way they kept quoting that thing about death being the last enemy and mastering it or some such.  This book did not shock me the way I thought it was going to.  I found it the most predictable of all, however I did thoroughly enjoy it!!!

Krillen 75 novels?  I think I had 75 novels read by the time I was 10...

But I had no social life and I pretty much polished off two novelettes a week, so novels were merely an extention of that...

Funny.  I don't read much anymore...

polson
# Posted: 28 Jul 2007 20:29

And for the record, the girl they got to play Luna in the lastest movie was FANTASTIC.  She had that dreamy commentary thing down PAT.

darth_balco
# Posted: 28 Jul 2007 22:36

I spent all day reading this book and I must say it was a very good book, one of the best books in the series.

I really enjoyed what she did with Dumbledore, while he was a dead, he still was a central character. More importantly, his past was revealed and it showed that he wasn't perfect. He had flaws and a trouble past.

The mass amount of killing she did not bother me, it's war, people are gonna die. Though I was surprised Moody died, I didn't think he would go so early. Hedwig and Dobby's deaths we're pretty sad.

I had this feeling from the end of Half-Brood Prince, but I had a feeling Snape wasn't totally evil and Dumbledore had something up his sleeve. I was mad at Dumbledore first for basically setting up Harry to die without telling him, just seem a jerk move to do, but was all good when him and Harry had that talk.

Ron was incredibly whiny in the first part of the book and his teenage squabbles with Harry we're annoying, mostly because of Ron, but it was understandable, they we're still teenagers after all. But he redeemed himself when he helped Harry get the sword and destroyed the locket.

I must say that I loved Mrs. Weasley at the end of this book, she has the best line in the whole book.

The talk about the wands and their connections was interesting, though that whole "living connection with a weapon" been done many of times in various fantasy tales. But good nonetheless.

Again, this was a very good book and had a great ending and she basically nailed the coffin shut on any more Potter books with the epilogue. Not trying to bash movie adaptations of the books, but I feel this book will definitely be the toughest to pull off.

bont
# Posted: 9 Aug 2007 21:00

I have to admit i was not surprised at all when the three of them threw the ring into the fire at that mountain .

but anywhoo, I thought this was a great read. although i was so anxious for it i read some of the fan-fics. and i highly recomend picking a couple of them up via your favorite torrent tracker

~ Brett Norton
Aye im alive

lucient
# Posted: 10 Aug 2007 11:16

I thought this book was amazingly done...and I was right on a lot of my theories, and wrong on many more *lol* i honestly thought Percy was gonna die, although I did see him coming back and being good though.

And as far as Luna in the movie... I agree 100,000% with Polson. the actress they got was DEAD ON!!!!!!

Luc

ayanna
# Posted: 10 Aug 2007 22:19

Okay okay time for my comments. since my neice, my mother and my cousin are taking forever to read i suppose i'll discuss it here.

I was surpised she didn't really kill off harry. i expected it to end with him dying in the end shortly after killing voldermont. so i was surpised there.

However i was shocked at who she did kill off and how many people. i was shocked when the first one was Mad Eye mood. and i cried when Dobby died. poor little elf .

I found the first couple chapters to be extremely boring and i skimmed through them some

kayana
# Posted: 11 Aug 2007 13:12

Well I bet the pressure on her was incredible to pull off a book that would really do justice to the entire series. Ms. Rowling should be v. proud of herself.

I guess that after finishing the book, while I enjoyed it a lot, I felt disappointed. The epilogue made things sound so pat, everyone is happy and married and how do things settle down like that after such a turbulent childhood? Though perhaps, Rowling is trying to say as Harry did so many times, that the best thing of all is to have normality not to be constantly plagued with crises...

I don't see Rowling writing any further HP books anytime soon but I dunno, I have a feeling she'll have more wizard books just now with Harry. Will they be any good? I think so, she's done an aamzing job so far.

kayana
# Posted: 11 Aug 2007 13:13

just without Harry I mean.

And yes, all the death scenes were sad, but this book was the climax of the entire series, and she really did justice to bringing the story to a finale..

nobbe
# Posted: 11 Aug 2007 19:16

I'm going to throw in my two cents. I rather enjoyed the book. I found myself racing through it and enjoying the ride. I missed out, I think, on a few details. Overall, I have to say that I was right about the book and saw most of it coming. I was sorely disappointed with the epilogue. I believe it was too... tacked on? I don't know that it was put there for more than just a note of finality. If anything, I think more than a singular chapter would've been more effective. Overall, good job on the book. =)

shakeycat
# Posted: 12 Aug 2007 00:50 · Edited by: shakeycat

The doe, oh, the DOE!

but the epilogue was indeed tacked on and kinda cheezy. She could've added 10 more pages and made it less obvious that she found it very, very important that we all knew what Harry named his kids.

The discussion of death was good. The resurrection stone being important in the "dead STAY dead, they don't want to come back!" bit.

And have you read the interview? How she says she took some inspiration from Chaucer? that is Awesome.

This is really nice typing in white on a white background. Thumbs UP.

iain
# Posted: 12 Aug 2007 03:39

This is really nice typing in white on a white background. Thumbs UP.

Thanks for pointing this out, Tanya! The CSS worked fine in Firefox and Opera, but not in Internet Explorer 7. There's a bug in the Internet Explorer handling of CSS comments. I've worked around this bug.

All should be well now - though you will need to do a hard refresh of the page to clear the cached version of the CSS file. (Hold down Shift, and click Refresh.)

~Iain

shakeycat
# Posted: 13 Aug 2007 00:33

Thanks Iain, now it is re-awesome

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0