· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Online authority and resistance - thesis
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
bria
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 02:50

Hi guys,

As you may or may not know, I'm currently in my last year of college and am doing a thesis for one of my subjects, anthropology. You can read the full thesis proposal here:

Aggression, power and resistance: issues of authority and respect in an online environment.

Since I'm planning to base it largely on OTF, I figured I would let you guys know and all that. If anyone has comments, ideas, suggestions or concerns to share, please feel free. Similarly, I will be approaching a good few people about having a chat etc to find out how they see the matter. If you really WANT to be involved, if you think you have valuable insights to share, or even if you just want to talk to me regardless, please do let me know - either here, or by email, although going by past experiences here is probably more likely.

Most importantly of all, note that this is a thesis, it is an academic paper which will be researched etc, and therefore is definitely NOT going to be about who's right or who's wrong. I'm interested in how people interact and influence each other; the minute I bring personal (or other) judgement into it, I've failed. Just in case you were concerned about that.

That's about it. Like I said, feel free to voice whatever comments you might have. But just bear in mind that the idea is not to discuss the issues in my proposal, I don't want it to end up as another forum war. I just want to talk to you guys about your experiences etc, I'm supposed to do the analysing myself, see.

Bria

polson
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 06:21

I ALWAYs have insights. But since we share a brain, you probably know what they are. I'm still up for discussing it!!!

fat_man
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 06:55

You could ruffle a few feathers with that =p

bria
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 07:06

Polson, thank you! =D

Stapler, true, but if people are going to complain they'd do so no matter what I do. And my aim is to analyse things as objectively as I can, not to take sides, pass judgement, or annoy anyone.

But I actually forgot to say - anyone who's interested in reading this at the end is welcome to do so. And all names will be changed, so there's less chance of people getting annoyed at each other.

crazytexan
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 07:54

Bria - Do you prefer a one-on-one chat via e-mail or MSN messenger, or air our grievances on the forum? I think you'll have a more positive response and honest (albeit brutal) insights if folks contact you directly and their comments are strictly confidential with the assurance that you won't write a book of "He said/She said this about OTF..." although I would like an autographed copy should one be released.

I would be happy to share my insights with you especially since it is beneficial to your education and gets you closer to a degree. I'll look for you on MSN or please send me an e-mail at your earliest convenience with a list of questions/ideas you would like for me to expand on.

bria
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 08:02

Ceet - mainly I just want to talk to people. I'm not interested in resolving a conflict - in fact, I don't think there's one to be resolved. Mostly, it's just about having a chat with people. But I definitely don't want it to be "He said/She said", hence names will be changed and so on. I don't want to cause a war.

But I'd love to talk to you about this stuff! My MSN address is briaterrik@hotmail.com (and if anyone else reads this and wants to add me, work away). Thank you very very much! =D

ajcardall
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 09:00

I'll give you my very frank and brutal views and opinions, don't worry about that. I'll even name names, which you can, at your discretion, edit out

aeon
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 14:02

I already told you that I'm more than happy to help you out wherever I can.

The reason why I pointed it out here... no idea.

polson
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 14:47

I want AJ to name my name in his discussion of our torrid love affair.

voyman
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 19:53

I'd look forward to reading it. I'm afraid I'm a bit out of touch with OTF to contribute.

bria
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 08:21

Thanks very much, lads. I'm really glad to get such positive feedback - at least so far, fingers crossed - from you. No, really, it means a lot, it's very encouraging. So thanks for showing an interest, and even offering to help!

sg8472
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 11:42

I'll ***** about people if you want? There's folks on my list that I wish to spread rumours about.

You, Andrew, Ray, Iain, Annie, Pols, IronSaberMajin, you, QD, FM, that SG guy, ALL the Gims, you, The Treehouse folk, Vic, Bob the Polar Bear, you and Patrick Stewart (together), and Han Solo (and his restraining order on you).

But, seriously, you want my industrious opinion, then you may have it.

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 12:06

Me more than once? Not fair!! Also, Han has no restraining order on me, he doesn't need one, he has a blaster. And a wife. Oh, woe is me.

And thank you!

polson
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 12:35

Bob the Polar Bear?

sg8472
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 12:39

Svenja: Yeah, well, you really annoy

Pols: Bob's been getting a little jealous of Munky the Fire Monkey of late so there have been issues.

Svenja-again: Can you also examine why the "higer-ups" feel the need to lock a thread before it's died because they don't like where it's going? God forbid anyone get's any closure. *lmfao*

Oh, seriously, I miss the forums. I think I'll go revive the Cabana for my amusement.

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 13:28

Shane, I'm not THAT bad. And sure, hey, I'm already getting enough stuff to write half of the thing.

polson
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 13:39

SG, they fear my mouth. Let's start a rumor!!!

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:05

Shane and Polson starting rumours together?

We're doomed! Doomed, I say!

Especially me. Four times. Apparently.

sg8472
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:08

Pols: We could bring down entire governments!

Svenja: Doom!!! 4 times! ... coz you're that bad!

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:23 · Edited by: bria

Hey now, I can do more than 4 times... 'cause I'm that bad.

...oh, you meant doom. I do apologise.

polson
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:24

We can doom her four different ways? How fun! Can one of them involve chickens and duct tape?

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:26

Four times and in four different ways?

Oh my...

sg8472
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:51

Oh, brilliant! Pols and I do... ...om Svenja in 4 different ways.

I feel like talking to you people drags me back in to the gutter. I don't know whether to be happy or not.

osiris
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 14:56

eh, you have my msn, I don't mind answering questions.

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 15:04

Shane, yay, welcome aboard!

Osiris, thank you, may well take you up on that!

polson
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 15:18

We were in the gutter? Why didn't someone tell me? You all know I don't get these jokes.

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 15:23

I dragged Shane into the gutter. It was my fault.

sg8472
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 15:24

Oh Pols, you're just so used to the gutter you can't distinguish between gutter and non-gutter humour.

Svenja: I've lost my boarding ticket!

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 15:29

Shane, that's not all you've lost... or are going to lose if you haven't already.

sg8472
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 15:35

Now I feel you're bringing in that innuendo thing we talked about.

However, it has been lost... for some time now... however I can be "born-again" if you prefer "freshness"

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.091
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0