· Outpost 10F · Forums · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / In 10F
. 1 . 2 . >>
a_searcher
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 22:26 · Edited by: a_searcher

I know that this is the 20th Anniversary of TNG...but does that mean we can't have icons from other ST shows in the chat room? Geez.

polson
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 08:58 · Edited by: polson

I want my Ezri! I refuse to chat without my Ezri!

aeon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 16:54

Seriously.

We're celebrating the 20th anniversary of TNG. The other avatars will be back soon. No need to make such a big deal of it.

skevington
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 16:56

They'll be back in a few days so i wouldn't worry yourself too much...

Dmitri

polson
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 17:53

I stand by my opinion.

a_searcher
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 21:28

I just don't see what one has to do with the other. We each celebrate in our own way. It's not that I don't like TNG, I did. I'm glad it was on. I just like the other icons better.

darth_balco
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 00:44

Can we celebrate something without people whining like a five year old over friggin avatars being missing to honor said certain events? Seriously people, they're avatars, they'll be back, they aren't going away forever, quit whining about them and deal with it.

polson
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 07:54

Jeremy...well think about it. If all those without it use can't use anything but TNG avys, they should revoke custom use also.

polson
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 07:57

P.S. When I'm making a fuss about something, you'll KNOW I'm making a fuss about something. Some people have a hard time telling the difference for some reason. Apparently "voicing opinion" is a big deal around here. Get real. If people can't voice their perspectives on a topic without getting jumped all over, they're not the ones with the problem.

From the people who claim OTF used to be more tolerent and fun than it is now. Interesting.

polson
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 08:07

Jeremy...to be honest, I felt attacked by you, very attacked by you. I don't give a damn if you didn't intend it, you were a jerk about my comment. I presented my reasoning very considerately and logically and your response was to call it down.

If your response had been, "Here's why we did it, and here's why we think it's a good idea..." then at least you would have been participating in a discussion instead of simply imply my concerns had no validity in them.

So far no one's given a real reason for doing it other than "it's the tng celebration" and "it's not a big deal". Because those are oh so convincing. I could say that about anything in life. "Hey Polson, why'd you punch that guy in the face?" "i'ts punch a guy in the face week and it's not a big deal".

Doesn't make it a good idea.

a_searcher
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 11:48

I'm not 'whining like a five year old.' I understand the concept of the 'celebration'...but I still don't see the correlation. How does my using a TNG avatar make me a part of the celebration? Because I'm FORCED to use it and it's not a choice? I could see a pop up message at log in saying "Hey , we're having a TNG celebration for the 20th year anniversary which will end on (list date)...think about using a TNG avatar to show how much you enjoyed the show." Then it's a choice and shows camaraderie and true celebration instead of a "Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated" approach.

And Yes...this was my opinion and I voiced it. I don't understand why the answer would be "you're whining." If that's what this place is about, then I probably will just allow my 'membership' to lapse. I'm not a frequent visitor (I have real life to deal with as well) but I've enjoyed many of my interactions here to date. However, if the answer to a post of an opinion is "Stop whining" then this is probably NOT where I need to be.

bria
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 12:19

Valid points, as far as I can see. Personally I'm not too bothered about avatars, since I have custom access. But I can see why it'd be annoying to not be able to use your favourite one; I'm pretty sure it'd be a nuisance to me, as well.

At the same time, it's worth keeping in mind that it's only for the time being and that it'll be reverted back to normal soon enough. I don't mean that you shouldn't voice opinions about it, but I don't think there's any need to get annoyed, defensive, or aggressive about it, you know?

But here's something that confused me and that, in all honesty, made no sense. I was looking through the list of normal avatars in TF and now I have a question. If you're cutting out the avatars from other ST series because it's a TNG celebration thing... why are the Pokemon and Buffy (etc) ones still there? I don't mean to stir up another dust cloud here, but it just honestly made no sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

hobbie
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 12:24

That's because the Senior Playground avatars are included automatically when you have custom avatar access, something that makes no sense to me as well. I was planning to address that, but I've been too lazy to so far.

bria
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 12:29 · Edited by: bria

They're... wha? I didn't even know we had SP avatars. Clearly I'm not taking this CL7 business seriously enough. Sorry about that.

PS: Seriously, Pokemon? Someone was taking the "playground" thing a bit literally, no? *g*

a_searcher
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 12:52

but I don't think there's any need to get annoyed, defensive, or aggressive about it, you know?

My annoyance is simply due to the concept that it's a 'forced' thing. If you choose to take my simple voicing of opinion and subsequent interaction as being defensive or aggressive, fine. That's an assumption and not at all what was intended by the continuation of the conversation. So be it.

However...this makes it obvious that if one is not 'assimilated' and walking in lock step with the things being done or said, then perhaps it's just as well to let it drop. I'll need to reconsider re-engagement.

aeon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 13:35

Pokemon avatars... and now I really want to make CL7.

aussielore
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 13:38

Oooh, here's an idea... how about we just delete all avatars entirely? Just chat without them, like the good ol' days? That way, we won't have this problem in the future.

(yes, folks, that was sarcasm.)

aeon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 16:00

While we're at it... custom avatars for everyone. That would be the best idea.

(Yes, folks... that wasn't sarcasm.)

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:39

I think we should get rid of all other avatars and just have Star Wars avatars for all the rooms.

(Yes, folks... that might or might not have been sarcasm.)

bria
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:42 · Edited by: bria

Quoting: a_searcher
If you choose to take my simple voicing of opinion and subsequent interaction as being defensive or aggressive, fine. That's an assumption and not at all what was intended by the continuation of the conversation. So be it.

If you choose to believe that I was addressing you in particular with that, fine. I assume you have your reasons for thinking that I was calling you defensive or aggressive; I don't pretend to know said reasons, and far be it from me to question or challenge them.

Attempting to clarify: my statements were merely intended as a reminder of the fact that this isn't, generally speaking, something that's worth getting hugely upset about. The adjectives I used were intended as examples of the general category "emotional" or "upset". I have nothing against people discussing their opinions, my concern was more with someone taking it too personally and getting upset as a result. Which I don't like to see happen.

But, you know, if anyone wants to take what I said as an insult - go ahead if you really want to. I think that in itself speaks volumes.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:45

Svenja is mean. Everything she says is an insult.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:48

And I must have missed something in this discussion. Looks like a lot of posts were deleted. Damn. I love to read arguments like this.

bria
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:49

No, no, no. Everything she says could be taken as an insult, but is in fact a compliment in disguise.

Don't tell Andrew.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:50

I stand corrected.

bria
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:52

Good, good. Also, that was a lie. But generally I only insult people if I like them. Or if I actively dislike them. But more the former.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 19:01

I know how that goes. I'm pretty much the same.

I guess that means I really like myself then.

a_searcher
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 19:03

If you choose to believe that I was addressing you in particular with that, fine. I assume you have your reasons for thinking that I was calling you defensive or aggressive; I don't pretend to know said reasons, and far be it from me to question or challenge them.

It seemed to be aimed in that direction. The issue was about voicing opinion. I had done so and had stated as such. The post was the very next one and did not appear to be addressing the world or thread in general. Thus, it looked to be exactly that, a specific address I was simply responding to the statement. If I was incorrect, I will accept that.

I was NOT hugely upset. I simply stated that I was annoyed that this format to celebrate was forced and not by choice. A forced choice does not show alignment with the concept or the purpose. It simply shows that the person is following that forced decision since all choice has been removed from them. It is like saying. "We have only turkey sandwiches. If you choose a turkey sandwich, then you obviously enjoy turkey sandwiches." One does not correlate with the other. It is faulty logic.

It is also an assumption to state outright that by bringing up the issue a person is upset, defensive, or aggressive. None of those things may be true. The person may SIMPLY be stating an idea, concept, opinion. It is also an assumption that by bringing up an issue that the person is "whining." Just because a person does not agree with the chosen format to celebrate does not constitute whining.

I understand that in the larger scheme of things, that the avatars do not mean squat. I know that this is only temporary and "not a big deal." I never meant to imply that it was up there with the things are "are a big deal" (which BTW varies from person to person.)

Still, the fact that a simple...

I know that this is the 20th Anniversary of TNG...but does that mean we can't have icons from other ST shows in the chat room? Geez.

could be taken this far tells me a great deal about this site in general. Besides...since the last episode of Enterprise was a de facto TNG Episode, then all the characters shown in THAT episode would be fair to use as avatars by the arguments presented to limit them to only TNG to 'honor and celebrate it.'

I'm done. Please tell me how I remove myself from 10F.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 20:41

Man, I'm glad that we didn't limit the Star Wars avatars to only A New Hope when it was the 30th Anniversary day. That would've stirred things up.

bria
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 04:36

Quoting: a_searcher
Still, the fact that a simple...

could be taken this far tells me a great deal about this site in general.

Now, I'm pretty sure that if someone had responded to this with, say, "Can't you just use the TNG ones for a few days? Geez." you would have interpreted it as a personal attack. This is an assumption. Based upon the fact that you interpreted my post (which was intended to try and defuse the situation a bit, but hey) thus, simply because it was posted after yours and contained the word "aggressive". Have you ever thought about how the wording of your post might make someone feel who was involved in staging this celebration?

People have put time, thought and effort into putting on this TNG celebration. And apparently, the only thing we can do is nitpick and give out about what we don't like. And speaking of which, well done lads! I like the chat top, actually, it looks cool.

As for removing yourself – I think generally, you just don't come back. If you're feeling particularly nice, you might email your Sector Commander to inform them that you no longer wish to be a member.

And Mike - me too.

*hits "Post Message", slams door*

ajcardall
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 08:09

*shakes head*

They're a bunch of little insignificant pictures on a chatroom. Why are people getting so worked up over this?

It beggars belief, it really does.

Step away from the computer, and go outside. Maybe even meet people in real life.

God almighty...

. 1 . 2 . >>
This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.

Page loading time (secs): 0.058
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0