· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / School project please come and help me out
jamesypoo4
# Posted: 13 Jan 2008 10:46

So I am writing a paper for school dealing with how people use media such as television, movies, and video games to escape reality. I have a few questions anyone can answer these (actually the more the better)

Why do you like a particular T.V show or movie so much (be it Star Trek or Star wars any thing will work) what about that program do you like so much?

how much time on average do you spend in front of a media unit a day (watching something or playing video games) and do you feel like it is time well spent?

have you ever gone to any conventions or do you buy memorabilia?

If anyone could answer those questions that would be awesome

polson
# Posted: 13 Jan 2008 14:58

I'll help!!

1. My favorite show is Stargate, so I'll answer based from that. First, I like it because it makes me laugh and I love to laugh (even though I am in general a very depressing person - don't laugh, it's true). Second, it's the coolest to imagine life really like that, with space battles and sword fights and shoot outs and drama. My life is boring compared to Stargate, and yet filled with far more stress. I love watching people who love to be together experiencing insane situations and coping with it. I experience mundane usual runofthemill every day life with people I want to strangle and my first thought every morning is "how can I get out of today?" My life would be a lot simpler with alien abductions and over the top bad guys in weird clothing.

2. Oh...boy. Um, on a day off that I have entirely too myself I probably spend upwards of seven or eight hours in front of a computer or a tv or a nintendo. On a regular work day, that's probably shortened down to three hours. To be honest I feel quite guilty about it, so no, I don't feel like it's time well spent, nor is it time always enjoyed. I often flit from one to the other and back again in a space of fifteen minutes because I'm bored, or can't decide how I would like to best waste my life.

3. I've been to a Star Trek convention and a Stargate convention. I buy magazines and books mostly, I have a few odds and ends like buttons and key chains and toys, but I'm not into the collectors thing. I always ask myself before I purchase stuff like that "will I use this?" if the answer is no, i think about Kevin and the bird lady in Home Alone 2 talking about his rollerblades and then I don't buy it. I do intend to buy some Stargate clothing though in the new year. I wear clothes on occation and I wouldn't mind proudly displaying my favorite show.

polson
# Posted: 13 Jan 2008 15:00

Plus, in addition to question number one, I've always believed my dream job should encorperate firearms.

majin_fett
# Posted: 13 Jan 2008 15:41

1. Pretty much everyone here knows that I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Why do I like it so much? I don't really have a straight answer to that. Pretty much, it's because I grew up with it. When I was really young, 2 or 3, I first watched Star Wars, and it really just captured my imagination: the weapons, aliens, space ships, all of that. As I grew older, I actually grew to like it more. Yes, even the prequels to a certain degree. I think it's all because of the whole "good vs. evil" approach, and the hero's journey. It's a great escape from real life that I can visit every day. The characters, while being in worlds completely alien to us, are very realistic. Heck, how many of us want to just go waste time with our friends instead of working? I thought so.

2. I spend a lot of time on the computer, whether it's fun, work, or school. For the most part I feel it's time well spent. I don't spend as much time in front of a TV as I used to, since I'm so busy with other things. Generally I'm on the TV for relaxation by watching a good TV show, a good movie, or playing some video games. On a normal day, I probably spend about an hour to two hours at a TV. On a less-than-normal day, I'll spend no more than five hours, usually playing a video game.

3. I've been to two Star Wars conventions so far: the Star Wars Celebration III and IV. They were very fun, I got to see/meet people who helped create the movies I love, and I also got to meet other people who share that love. I do buy a lot of memorabilia, generally SW books and comics, and the occasional action figure, which I mainly collect figures of the clones and figures based on the concept paints of Ralph Mcquarrie. Sure, they just sit there on a shelf, but they look pretty!

ice
# Posted: 13 Jan 2008 17:25

1. Not a big fan of general tv, I'll watch a good film if theirs one on & enjoy doing that but never sit to watch a series unless theirs a particular point of interest.

2. I spend 90% of my waking life in front of the pc, both for work & for fun, but I for the most part enjoy my work so the fun part spans most my time sat in front of it. I'm not to sure why it appeals to me so much but its been a huge part of my life to so long now its second nature. I always view it was "wasted" time because I could always be doing something different but its a choice I make to do this & either way anything I do theirs alternatives making my choice a potential "waste" but life goes on.

3. Never been to conventions (unless computer fairs count), and memorabilia not to much, apart from things for my kid's I tend to buy them alot of stuff at 1 point on a topic of their interest (fifi, bob the builder etc) but nothing rare or valuable.

Hope it helps Sorry im not a tv maniac & mine were v.pc based lol

david1
# Posted: 14 Jan 2008 08:50

Why do you like a particular T.V show or movie so much (be it Star Trek or Star wars any thing will work) what about that program do you like so much?

I love stargate, its one of the "freshest" tv shows to come out for a few years. Star trek use to be an awesome favorite of mine, i loved watching tng, voy, ds9, tos, because they gave an idea of what the future might be like, and its very imaginative, creative, ghowever when they brought out the new series, enterprise, it kinda of took a sharp twist, as a die hard fan, it irritated me so much that there was many contradictions with the other shows, it really bugged me and makes me ask, "why did they do that to the origional fans" argh.

how much time on average do you spend in front of a media unit a day (watching something or playing video games) and do you feel like it is time well spent?

before i got my job, i was in front of the computer, 12-15 hours each day, i know thats bad, back then i didnt have a life either, however these days i spend 0 - 5 hours depending on the day.

have you ever gone to any conventions or do you buy memorabilia?

ive never been to any conventions, however i do buy starwars and startrek memorabilia.

David - XZ

szekeylys
# Posted: 14 Jan 2008 16:56 · Edited by: szekeylys

1. My favorite tv show would have to be...hmmmm.....I gues i would say "family Guy." I know it's juvenile, but it's also crude, blunt, rude, and humourous all in one. I like shows that have a short attention span, because I'm usually in front of a computer. But I also read, so I'm not a media "junkie".

2.I usually spend about 4-5 hours a day/night at the computer, unless I don't have to work the next day, then I pull an occasional all-nighter.

3. I have never been to any conventions or or bought any memorabilia. From anything.

Donatien de Sade

darth_balco
# Posted: 15 Jan 2008 21:32

1. My favorite TV Show at the moment would have to be Heroes. I think it has a great cast of characters and the writing is pretty strong a majority of a time. I haven't seen a show draw so much interest in me since Supernatural.

2. I say I spent about 4-5 hours these days, possibly more on my days off. There isn't a lot to do on the internet these days so I just play some Madden 07 on my PS2 or go over to my friends house and play rock band. I usually spend 4-5 hours working out and jogging/walking around the reservoir.

3. I've been to one convention and that was Vision-Con that's hosted annually in Springfield, Missouri. I have a bunch of Bleach Memorabilia like games, posters, etc. Also, I collect a huge amount of Sports Trading Cards, specifically in football and basketball.

Hope this helps you out.

Patrick Ryan Moore aka CL5 PR Moore

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.026
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0