· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Outpost10f Reboot
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
daecrist
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 10:20 · Edited by: daecrist

DON'T PANIC

Changes are in the works here at the Outpost, as many of you who have been following the Updates are well aware. What no one but the Executive Council has known, however, is just how far reaching those changes will be as we proceed with what Iain has affectionately dubbed the "Outpost10f Reboot."

We're taking advantage of the reboot to completely redesign and rework several key parts of the Outpost in an effort to streamline the old girl and help her take the first steps into a Web 2.0 dominated Internet. At Iain's suggestion, and everyone knows he is a long-textblock Jedi Master, I have broken this up into handy bullet points for easier reading.

1. Chat Consolidation

The biggest change is also a simple change. We will be consolidating all of the current chat rooms into one main room and getting rid of all of the auxiliary rooms. Think of it as the Outpost chat plus. This single room will feature different chat tops based on what genre affiliation you choose in your profile and will initially feature the old chat rooms you have come to know and love over the years.

2. New Genres

We won't be stopping there, however. Over time we will be adding new genres that Outpost members can choose to affiliate themselves with along with new chat tops and new ranks to go with it. All of these new genres will still be feeding into the same main chat room, but the individual user's experience will vary based on their personal preference.

This also means that the three genre system that has dominated at the Outpost for the past few years will be done away with as genre affiliation becomes a less important aspect of the Outpost experience. Currently an affiliation change involves contacting your Sector Commander and asking them to flip a switch, but under the new system a genre affiliation change will be as easy as picking an option from a list in your profile. The old system of Sector Commanders and Deputy Sector Commanders will also be removed, though there will still be a small team occupying the same role that the SCs and DSCs currently fill along with Iain and I providing leadership on the Executive Council.

The system of multiple chats just isn't working anymore. There was a time when the Outpost was still new, Star Trek and Star Wars were at the peak of their popularity, and there were enough chatters to keep both main rooms full. These days, however, most people chat in one room regardless of their genre affiliation and are more interested in chatting with friends than they are in the window dressing on their room of choice. One room will eliminate the silly choice between various rooms as well as keep the chat more active for people who are coming to the Outpost for the first time.

3. The End of Departments

The second big change will be coming to departments. Right now the departmental system is old, bloated, and broken. The system just isn't working. There was a time when departments provided a great opportunity for people who wanted to contribute to the community, but these days there are a few active individuals and teams who are pulling the weight for their entire department while the rosters sit full of chatters who have long since moved on from the Outpost and redundant management positions.

We thought long and hard about what to do to fix the departments in the reboot. Iain and I even got started on departmental "repairs" at one point before realizing that restructuring the departments one by one would be a nightmare since we were just reorganizing people into other departments that would themselves be getting restructured, creating an endless and neverending loop of fixes that didn't fix anything.

So rather than try to "fix" the departments one by one, we've decided to just dissolve all of the existing departments and refocus our efforts around small teams. The departments might have been an effective management structure at some point in time, though I can remember people complaining about how broken the system was as far back as early 2002 when I started working in Entertainment.

What's clear is that the department structure isn't working today. With that in mind we're making individual teams the organizational unit of the future at Outpost10f. Teams that are currently working well will be reorganized after the server transfer and continue their business as usual. Some teams will continue as-is, some might be consolidated with other groups, and some will be put on hold while we come up with a few new projects for the new Outpost. Also, unfortunately, a lot of the inactive old teams and departments will close their doors for good.

We will be contacting the Team Leaders for the groups that will remain active once the server transfer has taken place. We hope that this downsizing will serve to streamline the Outpost as well as free up promising individuals to tackle new and exciting projects. These are major changes to the Outpost, but drastic is what is needed at this point to get rid of a decade of dead weight that has been holding the Outpost back.

-CL12 Daecrist
Outpost10f Commander in Chief

polson
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 11:17

Holy Hannah Batman.

I am pumped. I love the chat consolidation with the chooseable chattops. I love the idea of scrapping deparments and focusing on teams. I love the idea of adding more genre's to the current ones instead of getting rid of them.

I'm terrified too *l* But I'm excited.

ice
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 11:43

Personnally i can't see where these ideas come from; quite frankly I think their rediculous.

1) Although different chattops per affiliation would be nice, scrapping rooms & going solely sci-fi is gonna lose a hell of alot of members (and restrict the new comers since minis tirith the only non-scifi room is gone), maybe expand would of been a better idea than consolidation.

2) Removing depts, ok your promo recommendations say "work for your rank" but instead you put half the staff out of work, very clever move now the next step is saying "you dont need to be in a department to get promoted" so all those depts (well the majority some of us do the dept work for fun) just walk out & give up, then everyone who's anyone can move up without ever "giving" to OTF.

Personally i'd love to see Maxwell's take on this, yeah he aint cic anymore, but it's destroying everything he worked to make.

lzrman
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 12:03

I totally agree with Ice on the dissolving of departments, It said that they are going to talk to team leaders and keep some projects active, but I'll bet that everyone is gonna say oh keep this project and keep this but not actually take the effort to work on it.

In regards to promotions, are you guys going to guarentee people there jobs or just throw in the axe? how does one make the next clearance level without "contributing" to the outpost?!

In regards to the chatroom consolidation, I like the idea and STARGATE theme it, it would make many people happy.

We should make a group of totally entertainment type people, and another team of programmers and make key groups to help contribute to the outpost.

This is an exciting chance for change.

sg8472
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 12:35 · Edited by: sg8472

Haven't been to the forums in quite some time, so this is a bit of a shock to see but...

This. Is. Awesome. News!

I love that the idea of consolidating the chat is finally going ahead. It was pointless having so many rooms that weren't being used. And to counter Ice's point on this, the fact that we'll also see the addition of new genres will open it up to more people rather than detract them. I'm sure there will be something to appeal to anyone who visits the rebooted OTF, and I can't see it in anyway effecting current members. Everyone chats in one room regardless of affiliation or how the rooms looks. And this way you get the best of both worlds. You still get to choose how the room looks based on your own genre affiliation and chat in a populated chat room.

And, I totally agree with disbanding the departments. True, they're probably the best way to go up in rank, but there's only a small group taking of advantage of that. There's too many divisions within teams, and teams within departments, and not enough people to man them. The only organised event that people still pay any attention to is Trivia, and that has been waning too due to the lack of activity.

It's good management practice! Downsize what doesn't work, and hasn't for a long time, and has little possibility of providing anything of worth to the overall community. And then when we see an influx of new members after these changes... and I do say 'when'... we can possibly see a re-development of departments and teams if there's enough interest.

polson
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 12:50

I highly doubt this was a "Andrew's gone let's do whatever we want!" kind of move. A lot of these plans are far reaching, and this kind of stuff has been on the table for the last couple of years. Also, even though Andrew's handed the keys over so to speak, his opinion would matter to the EC. I'd be surprised if he didn't know about it long before we did.

daecrist
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 13:01

Quoting: ice
Although different chattops per affiliation would be nice, scrapping rooms & going solely sci-fi is gonna lose a hell of alot of members (and restrict the new comers since minis tirith the only non-scifi room is gone), maybe expand would of been a better idea than consolidation.

Did you read the whole thing? We aren't getting rid of Minas Tirith. We'll be adding more Fantasy genres, actually. They'll just feed into the same room now. Expanding chats would be a disaster. How many people use the D'Deridex, Rotarran, or MT these days? They're ghost towns. Adding more chats would just make the problem worse, not improve it.

your promo recommendations say "work for your rank" but instead you put half the staff out of work, very clever move now the next step is saying "you dont need to be in a department to get promoted" so all those depts (well the majority some of us do the dept work for fun) just walk out & give up, then everyone who's anyone can move up without ever "giving" to OTF.

Chatters will still be able to help OTF in teams. We're just eliminating a lot of the red tape and bureaucracy that has gone up around successful teams. Trivia doesn't need an SM to tell them to keep doing their job, they do it well enough on their own. More teams will be created giving people opportunities to work. We aren't getting rid of opportunities towork for the Outpost and gain promotion, we're just changing the basic organizational structure to streamline the command structure.

Personally i'd love to see Maxwell's take on this, yeah he aint cic anymore, but it's destroying everything he worked to make.

Iain, Maxwell, and I have been in talks about this for months now. The plan to bring changes to the Outpost and try to breathe new life into the place was one of the reasons that a new CiC and VC were put into place. We're not destroying what he made, we're cutting off dead wood to give the place new life.

Quoting: lzrman
In regards to promotions, are you guys going to guarentee people there jobs or just throw in the axe? how does one make the next clearance level without "contributing" to the outpost?!

You join a team and contribute. I can guarantee you that the active members of the Outpost are not likely to find themselves suddenly out of a job, and if they are then we will be doing our best to find a new place for them.

tiamai
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 13:05

I think it's a great idea!

And assuming that the genres include non sci-fi, a good way to get new members. For example a lot of Dr.Who fans would never think of themselves as sci-fi fans, even though Dr.Who kinda is...

A lot of the departments are obsolete. Take Marketing... there it is taking up space and it's dead.

I love the idea of replacing departments with 'teams'. I have noticed that departments can get stuffy, with the same people in them and very closed off feeling. Teams would be a much better way of going about it. Hopefully it would remain friendly and eliminate those members who do not work well in a team, as frankly there are certain people within departments who think that their way is the only way. Which is very sad... and just a bit pathetic.

It's good that OTF is moving with the times, it means it is going to be here well into the future instead of being forgotten about and empty, which may have been where it was heading.

dierna
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 14:17

Cool! I like these ideas!!

Making everything one chat is an excellent idea. As is adding more genres.

As for the scrapping of the departments. Well...that's different for sure. Gonna be odd since I've been in Comms since it began 10 years ago. *lol*

drop73
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 14:27

The first thing that comes to my mind is a recognition that OTF is a site put together mostly by volunteers, or essentially a volunteer organization. The problem with volunteer organizations is that folks who join don't necessarily have to do anything in order to feel as if they belong.

When it comes to departments at OTF I can't help but think of the countless hours of effort that individuals have put in to make those departments what they are now. Granted OTF has come into a time in its history when it seems department members are disinterested in making observable contributions, but I would be careful about completely disintegrating (or breaking up) certain departments (now teams) within OTF where members are still proving themselves to be active and contributory and good working partners.

The idea of "teams" as opposed to "departments", "divisions", or "sectors" in many ways is a preferential use of terminology that won't necessarily fix the problem that people don't want to be involved. Failure to kick non-contributing department members out does more to hurt a department than trying to keep them around hoping that some day they will contribute again. If the new idea is to have "teams" perform the same function as what departments used to do, then I simply see a group name change. I'm very curious as to how these teams will be developed, what they will look like, and who will come to lead them. How they will be structured, not to mention how will communication occurr within them, and I'm not just referrring to E-mail communication is something that needs to be revealed.

I am concerned about how promotion recommendations will occur since the departmental structure for how this happens will also be getting scrapped. I am very concerned about how frequently accessed and used projects such as Media Downloads will be "restructured" (especially since I am its Project Leader) and the fact that it is an on going project within Research and Maintenance of Engineering. I would hope that members that are in positions of leadership now would be considered for positions of leadership within the new leadership structure. Since non-Executive Committee members are not privy as to what teams will be emerging, it is a bit unnverving for those who have put in work on a regular basis and still don't know what is going to happen.

If folks are going to latch on to the new team structure for getting work done at OTF, then more information about how those teams operate needs to be available to non-E.C. OTF members. To put it another way, we need more information about what teams are going to be formed initially, how these teams are going to function, and who those teams will report to, not to mention who the teams will consist of. More information would be nice, please.

As for consolidating chat rooms and adding more genres into one big "melting pot", perhaps this might break down barriers between folks who are interested in different genres by sticking them all in the same room together. However, for those who are looking for sites dedicated to particular sci-fi genres, it might come as a shock to some that the Star Trek or Star Wars site they were looking for no longer exists.

Bottom line? Those who care about what's going on need more info on the changes.

My two cents,

CL5 drop73

lzrman
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 14:51 · Edited by: lzrman

So what type of teams are being created?

maxwell
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 14:57

Hello everyone,

Yes, I have been in discussion with Andrew and Iain in regards to this topic for some time. I do agree with the moves they are making and do not feel as if it's destroying the past; the new leadership is simply aligning the offerings of the community with reality.

The Outpost is now supporting a smaller group of active people. Having a large structure and too much room (i.e. chatrooms) is problematic in this situation.

My understanding has been that the idea of working at OTF in exchange for promotion credits will still exist. The difference will be that instead of having large departments the work will be focused in smaller, more streamlined teams. This will make it easier for specific tasks to be addressed and allow the active people to be in closer communication.

Andrew did not extrapolate much on what the future holds for teams as membership picks up again, but I've been under the impression the structure would adjust to enable folks to work and gain promo credits. There is a balance between structure and the number of active members wanting to increase in rank. It is important this balance always be considered and managed. Years ago we had far more active members and as a result more departments and teams. Today it is different.

I was pleased to see the mention of "Web 2.0" in Andrew's announcement.

However...I have been reading the forums over the past few weeks and picked up on comments that have irked me. The outpost 5-10 years ago is a whole different package than it is now. I agree the structure we have in place now is cumbersome and doesn't make sense. However, at that time the structure was needed and worked very well. The Outpost grew and flourished under division of management via departments. I was and still am very proud of those who dedicated their time and energy to make the Outpost the successful community it is through their efforts in our departments. We certainly have not just slogged through a decade of "dead weight."

I believe there are folks out there who at one time or another felt snubbed in a department. Maybe they were reassigned to a project they didn't like. Maybe they didn't receive the promotion the felt they had coming. Since we've been openly discussing restructuring I have sensed an almost rebellious tone; a chance for these folks to jump on the bandwagon and state how horribly wrong everything was and finally, finally the world will change for the good! Fortunately for them most of the folks who dedicated their time to make OTF a better place through departments – the Zilettes, Deannas, Henris, Josh Hals, Sonatas, etc – are not here to form any form of rebuttal. Further, I've sensed newer members who have no concept of what OTF was like years ago have joined this great "party."

I am not against change, I am not against these fine ideas from the new leadership, and I am certainly not pointing fingers at any people in particular. We have moved from a very active, busy state to smaller, more reflective one. The Outpost needs to redefine itself to survive and I fully appreciate those wanting to be part of its rejuvenation. I do ask everyone to respect its past, its history, and those who have been a huge part of bringing it to the point such that we can work to refine it. Changes are being made to update the Outpost and align it with the realities of today, not fix something that has been broken since day one.

I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed in our departments up until this point in time and trust you will find a new role within the upcoming switch to the team environment. Please give the new leadership an opportunity to make this work; these announcements are not simple undertakings and will require our support. I am certain more specific information will become available soon.

Andrew Maxwell

sonata
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 15:48

"Fortunately for them most of the folks who dedicated their time to make OTF a better place through departments – the Zilettes, Deannas, Henris, Josh Hals, Sonatas, etc – are not here to form any form of rebuttal."

Guess again.

For those who don't know me, my handle was Sonata Form, and I was very involved in the inner working of Outpost 10F from 1998 until 2005, when I let the community have it and stormed off. And rightly so. I've spent my time since focusing on my own projects and working for Andrew, who is now a partner in a very successful business. As such, I've spent the last several years trying to convince Andrew to shrug off some dead weight that's been consuming his time and resources. *cough*

I'll be as brief as I can (ie: not very). The reason I left the Outpost was politics. Governments have them, offices have them, and Outpost 10F has them. At some point, certain people at Outpost 10F decided that contributing a few web pages or graphics to the Outpost entitled them to have a say in the workings of the Outpost. "This project is MINE. This department is MINE." I'm a strong proponent of democracy, but the Outpost is not the place for it. People will bicker, creative directions will clash, nothing will get done, which leads to more bickering. That's why I left, and I suspect it's part of the reason why many others of my generation have left as well.

No one asked me if it would be okay if they replaced the forums I designed to use more recent software. No one asked me when they terminated the OTF Desktop. No one asked if I'd mind if they replaced the interface I designed for the CCC. And you know what? I don't care. Because this is what we call progress. Progress is something the Outpost hasn't had in years. The internet is rife with Diggs and Facebooks and Flickrs: full-on Web 2.0, baby. Yet the Outpost has remained fundamentally unchanged, why?

Well, the answer is exactly the same as any corporation: bloated middle management. The people at the top of the Outpost have had plenty of good ideas over the years for reforming the Outpost, but they all had one fatal flaw: they were bound to piss someone off. (see above: "This is MINE").

Outpost 10F needs radical changes to stay alive. It needs small group of people with a modern and cohesive creative vision to revamp the entire site, without having to form committees to ratify decisions and make sure everyone will be "okay" with the results. Outpost 10F's new management have taken the first steps towards that goal by nuking the departments and salvaging the persons therein who are actually doing stuff. They've made the hard choice to go ahead and piss-off all the self-entitled middle managers who are holding OTF back (the "dead weight" if you will). And I applaud them for that.

Daecrist and Iain, I wish you the best of luck. You'll need it.

- CL9 Sonata Form
aka "GeekMan"

polson
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 16:22

I have and always will be in love with Sonatina.

That said, I have the utmost respect for the folks who have put together this place, who have dedicated themselves selflessly to it and who are working to see it grow and change and succeed. Jesse, Andrew *nods* I know I've caused grief, but I do hope you guys know my heart for this place.

darth_balco
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 18:05

This is very great to hear. I'm really glad to see that the wheels are in motion. Great job guys, keep up the hard work.

maxmeieriii
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 20:16

Personally, I have foreseen this a long time coming. I knew that OTF was going to a v3 just by how I noticed minute changes, and how the Departmental structure was slumping. This of course is meant in no ill way towards my fellow department members, or it's leaders, but it is my perogative.

I do like the idea of multi-genres, as well as consolidation of the rooms into one. It allows a Fantasy buff to remain of their "affiliation," all while being able to speak with everyone else without segregation of the Outpost in whole.

The disbandment of Departments into Teams, is good, partly, because as stated, the red-tape just was holding too many things back. I, being a Team Leader, would have to go up my chain of command just to get a "Can I have these two people I approved for my team added to my roster?" I think this rectifies the issue with the red-tape and encourages other Teams to congregate and share ideas. This, I feel was something that was rather... to bluntly put it, held up by SM's and the like.

My only concern now is how promotions would be held. That's not saying I'm dying for one, but more or less for let's say a team member who is in the makings for one. Granted, I haven't been the best when it comes to handing in recommendations, but I still feel that unless something specific is written, describing to us how the process would work, it might keep people's "panic" disorder going.

I've been around here for over eight years now, and I am not about to give up, just because some change happens. I look forward to the changes ahead, and the challenges that await me.

wedge
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 20:37

I applaud the courage of our leaders in the face of this extremely difficult decision and put my full support behind their initiatives. In the words of John Adams, "This is a revolution, damn it! We're gonna have to offend somebody!". We can only hope that under their dynamic leadership the Outpost will be able to once again flourish in a golden age of activity and excitement. Here here, Andrew!

ice
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 21:15

I've sat and read every post now (completely and in full) although its 5:09am as i start typing i'll give it my best shot to give a response with some meaning.

My viewpoint on the "merging into one room" is for a start is isn't competely rubbish, but when you merge fantasy in with sci-fi theirs bound to be some really wierd out-comes, in my view that cant be good for otf, maybe merging DD, Rot, CCC, TF would work as its all Sci-Fi but mixing in lotr will just be odd, how would the armory work? Someone has shot someone with a phaser? but that doesnt suit lotr, someone has banished someone using a staff, that wouldn't suit scifi, the av's wouldn't mix in at all etc, as for new members they would barely know if their coming or going etc. But fair enough i could easily live with these changes even though i don't think (in my view only mind) its the best idea thats been come up with.

As for the splitting depts down into teams, they did that within the depts & it solved nothing, i cant see how seperating it (although removing the red-tape which im all for) would make too much difference, their would still need to be a team for deciding/centralizing & if this turns out to be just like all the sm/ec stuff we deal with now it won't speed up any processes. But yet again i'll live with the changes.

Im not sat here trying to say, these changes will make me leave or trying to put up a paddy about how its all happening. I'm attempting to voice my opinion that their are far better avenues for otf. As you said earlier deacrist "You can rant even as a civilian", well im ranting as an LT & im pretty sure my opinions will just be argued rather than listened to.

I would be more than happy to have a full drawn out conversation to explain my reasons for my views etc but im sure not a single member of the command will take the time to listen. I am used to that & quite frankly im over it, I like otf although i disagree with the way its tackling the future, im here because I enjoy 'some' of the members. I contributue because I enjoy programming/webdev and may aswell give back to the community that allows me to keep in regular contact with those people.

I unlike some have no particular morale belief where I must agree with all command decisions; you may be wondering "does anyone" and the answer quite frankly is 90% of otf wont say whats on their mind they would rather agree (not mentioning any particular people here but its true), how do i know this? Several people will speak to me on msn, via email etc and say one thing & come onto the forums, or in chat & say the complete opposite. I dont know why & frankly i dont care.

I've said my piece & the outcome will be as it may, giving my two cents (whether or not its welcome)

shakeycat
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 22:29

Awesome.

rpmobsession
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 22:42

*dances and offers inactive Cl2's as sacrifices to the Gods*

I love you both.

airen
# Posted: 17 Jan 2008 23:38

Awesome ideas for changes

Max, I in no way speak for the people in charge, but what I IMAGINE (IE, guess) is that promotions will be handled in much the same manner, except with a lot of the middle men cut out

For example

TL recommends so and so
recomendation gets sent to the now much smaller EC, which votes on it?
Rec gets sent to VC then CiC who approve it or deny it
promotions are thus made simpler and fairer, since it doesn't require the approval of an SM who has little or no involvment with the work of some junior member he's not entirely familiar with.

again, just my GUESS

rpmobsession
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 00:26

One question!

Office? Does it stay or go?

iain
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 01:57

Thank you, everyone, for all of your feedback so far. In particular, a massive thank you to both Andrew Maxwell and Jesse for coming out of the woodwork, to offer their comments. It means a lot to me.

These are certainly bold moves, which we have announced. In fact, I'm (pleasantly) surprised at the lack of total outrage. I was expecting some sort of rebellion. (In fact, I'm almost tempted to assert that the lack of open rebellion has disappointed me - and that Andrew B (HAL) and I are therefore going to have try even harder in future to lead to total outrage. )

Joking aside: these are exciting times. I know that there has been clamouring for change for a long time now, without any real change happening. Well... this time we actually mean it. And I have complete confidence in our community here at the Outpost for us to pull this off.

I have nothing but respect for the leaders of the past. The systems in place at the Outpost worked wonderfully in the past. Our primary goal here is to (as well stated by Andrew M) "align the offerings of the community with [today's] reality". Wonderfully put, Andrew. Our next, almost as important, goal is to reduce the politics, bureaucracy, red tape, and sheer inertia which have grown at the Outpost. Keeping what works, losing what doesn't, and in the process clearing the space to allow new ideas, projects, teams to thrive, and individuals to shine. The energy going into these positive outcomes; not into overcoming politics and inertia.

Just as Polson wrote, this is no "Andrew's gone let's do whatever we want!" move. The easiest path by far for Andrew B and I to take would be an approach of simply treading water, while the decline that we have all seen continues, until it's no longer worth keeping the Outpost on the web. Not stirring things up, not making bold moves, just sitting there. Well... that's not happening on our watch.

The Outpost holds dear spots in our hearts too. We believe that these bold moves are not only beneficial to her, but necessary for her survival and rejuvenation.

Finally, I felt it appropriate to offer a little clarification about where the name "OTF Reboot" came from. On the Executive Council mailing list, QD independently realised. As QD wrote, about the name "OTF Reboot", before I admitted that this is precisely where the name came from:
Quoting: QD
What I really really think might be interesting is like that bit in Jurassic park, where they have to reboot the park and are left with nothing but a blinking cursor and <s>velociraptors</s> a fresh start.

This is the precise mental image I had in mind. But without the velociraptors.

~Iain

iain
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 02:06

To respond to a couple of individual points/questions:

Quoting: airen

Max, I in no way speak for the people in charge, but what I IMAGINE (IE, guess) is that promotions will be handled in much the same manner, except with a lot of the middle men cut out
For example:
TL recommends so and so
recomendation gets sent to the now much smaller EC, which votes on it?
Rec gets sent to VC then CiC who approve it or deny it
promotions are thus made simpler and fairer, since it doesn't require the approval of an SM who has little or no involvment with the work of some junior member he's not entirely familiar with.

Precisely, Brandon. This is almost exactly what we propose. To us, this seems like the cleanest, simplest, common-sense way to handle promotions. And common sense is at the core of our leadership.

Quoting: rpmobsession
Office? Does it stay or go?

The Office has been superseded by the rise of instant messaging, and (fast) email. It's on the preliminary list of "to go", at least in its current form: as a secondary chatroom, barred to some community members.

Quoting: rpmobsession
*dances and offers inactive Cl2's as sacrifices to the Gods*

Mmmm. Tasty database records... full of bitty goodness. (Pun intended.)

~Iain

kayana
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 02:41

I imagined velociraptors, I don't know about you guys..

Why not give HAl + Iain's idea a try and see where it goes from there?

Kayana

monny
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 03:03

This is exciting!!!

Yay team!

I wish all of those who are implementing the changes the best of luck. I hope that both Henri and I will be able to pop in more often "when things cool down" on the RL side.

For those pundants among us. Let's give them a chance folks.

Godspeed,
V

monny
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 03:06

Quoting: polson
I have and always will be in love with Sonatina.

You too? Wow he gets around

ice
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 04:01

As stated previously i have no intention of causing an uproar im just posting my opinions, if it turns out im wrong I'll be the first to point it out & if not then i won't go about doing the whole "i told you so" crap, im just a small guy posting an opinion.

After all, if we all kiss the commands...rear, then who's left to annoy them?

daecrist
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 04:37

Quoting: iain
This is the precise mental image I had in mind. But without the velociraptors.

This is a Unix system. I know this!

daecrist
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 04:41

As stated previously i have no intention of causing an uproar im just posting my opinions, if it turns out im wrong I'll be the first to point it out & if not then i won't go about doing the whole "i told you so" crap, im just a small guy posting an opinion.

After all, if we all kiss the commands...rear, then who's left to annoy them?

Ice, no one is even responding to you or saying that you're trying to cause an uproar. Please stop trying to troll the thread.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.036
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0