· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Outpost10f Reboot
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
amandasp
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 06:24

Ice and Lzr, with all due respect.. you two of the most voiced people in getting a change and now you're the ones complaining. This is the change. Downsizing. I'm not going to be a DSC anymore... I've worked darn hard over the years to make it here, but I'm stepping back because this is what is needed for OTF. Just... stop complaining. You complained there was no changes... you're complaining now that there are changes.

We listened to the public and we took down their thoughts. Andrew, Maxwell, and Iain have done it. We are taking the suggestions and now putting them into action, because that is what you wanted. How about instead of complaining, we get to work once the changes take place? There will be plenty to do. Let's act instead of talk. I'm tired of talking.

ice
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 06:35

Ok that was directed at me (not trying to troll).

Amanda as stated i'll work with whatever changes are made just voicing an opinion, i agree this is change. Its just not exactly change that i've seen suggested but as stated fair enough i have no intention of arguing over something way out of my hands.

Andrew, i apologize if you feel im "trolling" the thread and i assure you it isn't my intention, although i was responding to the comments that stated people should give it a try, since im one of those people who disagreed with this I can only assume it was partially in response to my posts.

Just to re-iterate, i'll work just as hard as i do no matter what changes are made, im not trying to start any form of uprising I was merely voicing my opinion, for those who agree with Amanda's point of basically "you asked for change its here so stop complaining" then im afraid it is my right to do so, i dont expect things to change but its an opinion. I'm not wanting to cause a fuss & because of such to avoid any more posts such as this (or the ones directed at me) this will be my last comment on this topic (on and off the threads).

athos
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:07

*waves at people he knows* Hi folks!

This is excellent news! I may even come back for a chat this way. Sounds partially like a return back to the original TF days. I commend those bold enough to initiate these changes.

crazytexan
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:35

Give the proposed changes a fair chance before you pre-judge the results. Most folks don't like change or the disruption of the status quo, but every single type of organization needs to reinvent itself, grow, and change. I challenge y'all to a positive part of the future of OTF, not a hanger-on to the past (especially the red tape, politics, and unnecessary layers of management).

Things change, people change, priorities change, life goes on. Good luck to the OTF leadership in taking OTF to the next level.

Y'all wanted change. Here it is. Accept it. Adapt, and have fun.

dommy
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:46

This might be just what we need , and you have my full support !

That Is all I have to say to this !

GOOOOOOOOOOOO OTF

polson
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:52

I hate change and I'm totally good with what's been proposed.

Ice, I never have, nor ever will, kiss ass (Except when I smooze CT and Iain to get my way, but they know I'm not serious). I say what I'm thinking 100% of the time and 80% of the time it gets me into trouble. And I'm saying right here, right now, I think this is a good idea. Some things they'll hit snags with and have to tackle new problems, some things will work fabulously. I also think it's fine for you to say you don't like it. I don't think it's fine for you to accuse those who do like it of being ass kissers.

And I think if you give Iain long enough, he'll figure out the problem of the armory postings.

polson
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:53

Iain, I can start a rebellion if you like...I like rebellions...

crazytexan
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 07:59

I really wanted velociraptors....

tiamai
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 08:06

Good job Andrew is not a Politician, he would have said 'Departmental Shake up' and right now be in 'Crisis Talks' at a top hotel at OTF's expense with a lady in a very short dress and limited education on his arm... not to mention the state of the bar tab.

tiamai
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 08:09

Quoting: crazytexan

and with no glasses on that looks so wrong...

jj
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 08:47

Maybe that'll be v4!

jj
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 08:55

Change is scary, but OTF has been through a lot of it in its history and most of it has turned out well. Will these changes work? No one knows for sure and only time will tell. (All in time.) Hopefully this "back to basics" approach is what the community needs to grow again.

I wish the current leadership the best of luck as you move forward!

majin_fett
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 09:34

Now that my password is up and working again (thanks Iain! You're awesome!), I'd like to voice my "opinion".

First of all, I was one of the people who suggested narrowing down to one or two chat rooms, so I'm sure you can tell where I stand on that one. Why have five rooms when only one is used?

More genre affiliations? Great! I think it's needed too.

I wouldn't say I'm weary of the department "destruction". I wouldn't say that I'm super happy either. I just want to see how it works out. I'm mainly neutral on it, leaning more on the "agree" side of things.

In conclusion, I can't wait to see how this works out!

Another question though, just out of curiosity (since the question about the Office (minus Ricky Gervais) has already been answered), is the Spycam yay or nay?

And just for clarification, I'm not be agreeable just to kiss ass or anything. Some of the changes that OTF will be going through were some of the things I suggested (along with other people) or just kinda hoped for. It's kind of nice to actually be listened to instead of just "Oh, it's the crazy Trivia guy from Alaska again..."

And that's when the attack came! Not from the front, but from the sides...

drop73
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 09:58

Thanks to Andrew M., Andrew B., Brandon, and Iain for answering my question on the promos and hierarchy. From the looks of things, more questions are naturally coming out of the woodwork. I think open dialogue like this is constructive. Plus, I think there must be some tension in the form of questioning anytime changes like this happen.

As for projects, how are some of the old projects going to be "transferred" over to the new hierarchical system? And, how does one go about submitting a suggestion for continuing a particular project from under the old system?

If you need help with the transfer, you know where to find me.

majin_fett
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 10:03

Quoting: athos
*waves at people he knows* Hi folks!

Hi Athos! LTNS!

Quoting: jj
Maybe that'll be v4!

Don't you mean Site B?

hongjun
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 10:37

Well,

I think it is a good move, and I know that Hal and Iain and whoever stays on in the EC will do a good job.

I do know that OTF needed to change and when I was Vcic I knew that I didn't have the time to do it. I believe that now we are seeing the folks that can take OTF and move it on.

Yep change is never easy and I guess the fact that Andrew opened it for discussion suggests that he is looking for ideas possibly.

I know Ice commented on the armory not working if you had such a mix, but I dunno why not come up with a new armory and new commands?

sg8472
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 11:25

I'm looking forward to this change. These are all the ideas I asked for specifically or voice my support of in previous threads in which we discussed how to revitalise our little community. What worked so well in the past, for quite some time too, has finally seen it's day and it has become outdated. OTF is coasting by in a web 2.0 environment where there's a new social networking site popping up every day.

I'm glad to see these moves have majority support, but it was the majority calling for these changes. We're downsizing and streamlining. It's what we wanted, and it's what we're getting.

Oh, and to give my opinion on Mike's Spycam query... get rid of it! It was created for ISA to police multiple rooms. That won't be a problem in the New OTF, and it's only use will be as a lurking hotspot.

As for the armory, to be perfectly honest, I think it'll be quite fun to see a Wizard's staff send a lamer from the room in the same chat as a phaser going off. But, if it really could cause some discomfort for chatters seeing such irregularities, it shouldn't be difficult to code the room to format such commands to be genre specific, aligning such output with the user's initial genre choice.

I love change. Change is fun, and exciting... and different! Embrace the change! *waves hand*

majin_fett
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 11:34

Quoting: sg8472
As for the armory, to be perfectly honest, I think it'll be quite fun to see a Wizard's staff send a lamer from the room in the same chat as a phaser going off. But, if it really could cause some discomfort for chatters seeing such irregularities, it shouldn't be difficult to code the room to format such commands to be genre specific, aligning such output with the user's initial genre choice.

Now we can actually have a Klingon fight a Wookiee. What's not to like?

dierna
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 11:41

Quoting: majin_fett
Now we can actually have a Klingon fight a Wookiee. What's not to like?

Let the Wookie win!!

Nah.. I'd rather have something cool like a Parasaurolophus or a um.... Edmontosaurus perhaps??

polson
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 11:42

Quoting: majin_fett
And that's when the attack came! Not from the front, but from the sides...

Oh, oh, oh! I have the most amazing chatsave for that but no way to host it!! And it's on my dad's computer! Aaagh!

It's HAL even I think talking about me instead of raptors.

tiamai
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 11:51

Oh wait, am I kissing ass because I agree?

Oh dear, and here I thought I had a will and opinion of my own...

No I seem to be just agreeing to kiss ass...

*sarcasm anyone?*

dommy
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 12:07

Quoting: dierna
Nah.. I'd rather have something cool like a Parasaurolophus or a um.... Edmontosaurus perhaps??

Yay for Google

bria
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 12:46

I like these changes. I just want to say that you guys have my full support in all of this and I'm a definite fan.

Just one thing. Did you have to put these changes into effect while I'm writing my thesis on this stuff? Couldn't you have done it afterwards?

I mean, now I can write a lot more as far as describing OTF is concerned. But my advisors are going to hate me for that, it's longer than ten of Iain's emails chained together already.

(by the way, I'm joking. I'm not really complaining. I didn't really expect Iain to implement changes without somehow inconveniencing me. Good work, guys! )

polson
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 13:00

I hope Bria's thesis has a chapter about me.

ajcardall
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 13:22

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

The scrapping of departments especially. I said personally to a few people they should go. I was an SM, I did exceptionally little work. It was all the TLs. Scrapping the superfluous structure is a excellent step forward. Well done, guys.

bria
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 13:40 · Edited by: bria

Quoting: polson
I hope Bria's thesis has a chapter about me.

Not a chapter, but if you'll consent to an interview of some sort, I shall certainly give you a mention. Which, knowing me and my rambling, might then constitute a chapter.

polson
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 14:04

Woo hoo!! I consent.

babel
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 14:28 · Edited by: babel

Well.

I am utterly opposed to the scrapping of the departments. It in no way addresses the crucial issues facing OTF, in my view. It is short sighted and nonsensical.

However. I will not be participating any further in this debate, or offering an alternate set of suggestions. I've been basically told to 'shut up' by people who know me well and I will follow that advice.

Good luck with your new OTF.

sg8472
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 15:40 · Edited by: sg8472

Not to cause a fuss here, but it's seem that some folk are missing the point of the removal of departments. It's not really a removal either... it's downsizing. Remove what isn't working, and keeping what is. And if you want to try and determine what is working, think about the teams that are consistently performing. Here's how far my knowledge of such performing teams extends... Trivia.... and that's it! There are probably a few others, but it's hard to tell among the vast selection of idle teams and projects we currently have. It's simply allowing more focus to go to what works so we can build on that and maybe see the (re)development of other teams and projects in the future.

We can't redevelop everything at once, so let's go with what works, give those a chance to grow, and build from there.

lucient
# Posted: 18 Jan 2008 15:45

It's not that we are completely scrapping every inch of every single department. We are taking what works and keeping that as a starting point and moving from there, which is going to include roster adjustments and the like.

It's going to take some getting used to, for all of us. I've been here 8 years, back in the days where you needed seperate accounts to go between the CCC and 10F, so this change will leave OTF as foreign looking to me as anybody else...except for people who haven't been around since the pre-V2 days.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0