· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Outpost10f Reboot
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 .
polson
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 13:11

I like the one chat room. But I also think it would be fancy awesome if they could have a second chatroom for trivia and simming and special events that is only accessable during those times.

As for regular chatting, we won't need more than one room unless all the "retired" folks decide to come back.

Ever notice how quickly the chat fills up when Maxwell is in? Or Crazy Texan or JJ? Or Deanna? It's like magic really.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 14:05 · Edited by: kaela_donos

I like the idea but I see some problems with it. Who is going to open these rooms during special events? Often there will be lag time or clearance simply will not be given to people who host these events. Also these “retired people” come in at random times, will they remember to open up this secondary room every time they come? Rooms have filled up in the recent past with out there being a VIP around and people have moved over to other rooms because of the crowding in the primary room. Who is going to open the room in this case?

We could have a clear primary room and a secondary and or tertiary room with out having permit locks on it. If you still wish to funnel people into a primary room maybe it could have all these suggested added features and any other rooms could be more like current rooms? If you are set on only having one primary room and like the idea of a lock, I am suggesting this not recommending it , you could have the secondary rooms only open once there is a preset number, say 2 or 3, people already in the Outpost. I would keep the number low or have an override command so that hosts can enter a room before an event such as trivia or simming.

Allot of these goals could be achieved with well made aesthetic changes as well, such as having the main room appear larger and the second or third room being smaller and to either side. You could also improve things by having the number of occupants listed directly below the image or the names of the rooms on the front page. You could do this instead of having only one room or a lock and still clearly direct people into the main room.

Just to be clear.
I belive It would be best to have more then one room available at all times and I stand by my statment that eliminating all but one of the rooms will not help increase patronage but instead severely decrees it.

polson
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 14:33

Actually, my point was if they want to see OTF more active in order to justify all the extra rooms, they just need to encourage the retired to visit more often.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 23:10 · Edited by: kaela_donos

Before I make statements that completely alienate my target audience I have a suggestion about V3.

I suggest that we put in a Bata tester, not primary to cheek for code. I am sure Iain, Ohm and whom every else is doing the coding will do a near perfect job, and any mistakes they may make will be quickly caught.

A Bata test would be to see what features people liked, what features don’t they like? What is working, what is stupid what do they miss the most, what don’t they miss at all and what other ideas do they have to make it even better.

Have this bata test go on for a month or two before you put it into larger use. Even after you finish a car, or a vacuum cleaner you put it out into the world for a while to see what happens. And after it’s been out there you have to be willing to make changes, because this is what it’s about. It is about REALLY seeing what is working, and what’s not working. Time and time again, doing this turns up unexpect result that no amount of planing could have seen. Still keep the main room as is, but test out the new stuff before you put it out there.

The Stanley Toos Jobmaster screwdriver took one year to develop. That is to design it not to implement it, market it or sell it. If you do things right, they take time, but they will last and be effective. Testings takes time, but testings is worth it.

gentry
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 08:48

daecrist - Agree with everything in your post - the Outpost needs to change or otherwise it will become like an empty parking lot, the way it was - was of course wonderful - the time when I was an active member was a lot of fun and I made some good friends, what you have outlined seems like a growingup step for the site. And I think I would consider coming back with some of the changes.

gentry

jj
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 11:30

Quoting: polson
Actually, my point was if they want to see OTF more active in order to justify all the extra rooms, they just need to encourage the retired to visit more often.

So now you're coming trolling to the Retirement Home to entertain and entice the masses? I dunno about that, these rocking chairs are mighty comfy...

polson
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 13:56

JJ Come on, you know you want to. I promise not to put a woopie cushion on your barstool.

majin_fett
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 14:00

Polson promises, but I don't.

tiamai
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 08:46

My experience of retirement homes is that the seats already have whoopee cushions under them... or so the old ones claim...

You know the expression Old Fart???

darth_balco
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 21:21

*sings*
Just hit the Cantina of the O-T-F
on a mission trying to find Mr. H-A-L.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.025
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0