· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Trivia, Take 2
majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 15:53

Alright, simple "yes" or "no" will do.

Off-topic Trivia events more often than 1 to 2 a month?

lzrman
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:11

yup

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:11

What is love?

alane
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:38

I'm not a smart man....but I know what love is....anyway...off topic trivia twice a month sounds good......psssst...how about comic book characters......ZOMBIE

wedge
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 18:47

Baby, don't hurt me.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 19:08

No more.

tiamai
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 06:43

YES <3

tiamai
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 06:44

*hurts people*

jaquaia
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 08:05

YES!!!! Especially if we get Dr Who/Torchwood trivia *swoons*

tiamai
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 09:55

*swoons cos that guy who played Spike was in Torchwood a wee while ago and Jaq just reminded me*

and

*takes Majin's topic an ruinses it* hehehehe...

I had a really nice dream last night about Daniel Craig....

dierna
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 20:54

Quoting: tiamai
*swoons cos that guy who played Spike was in Torchwood a wee while ago

And Capt John Hart will be returning. It's a reacuring role!

tiamai
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 06:40

Quoting: dierna
And Capt John Hart will be returning. It's a reacuring role!

I know!!! Wonderful isn't it? *swoons*

Poor Majin can't start a thread without it being hi-jacked anymore.

soka
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 08:45 · Edited by: soka

Being Majin's Assistant I'll keep my vote to myself... so a clear Jein for me
(I don't think there is a English version of it, it's a mix of yes and no)

But about what has been said in these 2 threads so far I now have to comment on.
The first time it was all about StarGate being wished, this time Dr. Who (which I have no doubt you all have seen announced for today on the updates-board, so I expect all of you to be there).

Polson complained about avoiding Trivias because she didn't know any of the Topics - about that I have 2 things to say.

1 - Trivias aren't only about getting answers correct, there does exist something like SPs (Silly Points) which you can get just by being funny (within the PDs), no matter if you have any clue about the topic or not. And even if you don't get any of those either, it's still possible to have a good time by reading other people's posts.

2 - You know who we Trivia-peeps are (since yesterday it's Majin for Capella, Richard Smith for Phoenix, Pat / PR Moore for Gemini and me (Soka) for Nova), if you don't know who currently is running each division check the roster. None of us really is an evil slave-driver, if you have any suggestion to make, feel free to suggest it to us, either in the chat or via email or IM or whatever.
If you do it in the chat there is even the possibility of people agreeing with you that it would be a good topic, raising the chances of it getting used - because you know, we *do* think about what topic might be well-known or popular enough to make a Trivia about.

Mentioning which, we actually did *ask* for people to send in topic-suggestions to us a while ago.
To be quite honest, not many people did that. Had I not written down things that were said in the chat directly after the update-post had been made it would have been limited to 3 topics or so that people sent in via mail.

So really, if you have an suggestion, don't be shy and poke us - we promise you'll get away alive.
We can't always promise that it will be done within the month or two as we do plan a bit ahead, in some cases not at all because we have to know a bit about it too, at least if the questions we make should be of any decent quality and not too easy to google.

About StarGate as topic ... in 2006 it was one of the topics of a Nova-Trivia, and failed completely. I hear you saying Of course, Nova didn't have many participants, but this one was in 2006 and did have quite a few.
Noone had any clue about SG so we ended it after 2 questions and instead asked 2 or 3 more of ST and SW each. The only time in Nova's history that that has happened so far.

But I don't want to warm up this SG/Who discussion again in here, just wanted to display the view of someone who is in Trivia, has been for a total of about 3 years, and still loves it.

Soka
Nova DL, Trivia ATL

PS: Online Division ... that one's been officially gone for over 2 years.

tiamai
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 09:20

Online has been gone for 2 years! I remember playing it!

I gave my idea, arrange 3 topics and have a vote. If I remember correct, you all have to send in questions anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange 3 topics, the ones that are not used can be recycled. If nobody answers on the forum, a quick vote in chat may work??

I do like the new way team trivia is being played. I admit to never having taken part in TT because of the 'finding a partner and logging it etc'. I will no doubt have a go now. Although, I can't usually stay for a full trivia, so my poor partner will be left all alone.

I think trivia topics are very hit and miss anyway, ST and SW get boring after a while and it's difficult to pick a subject that most people will know about. For example, super bowl, I didn't even know what exactly it was, but I tried... a bit... was fun...

I had something to say but i have rambled that much I have forgotten what it was....

So, I love trivia, it's fun, and I always get at least one SP, which makes me happy.

I'd like to see more off-topic trivia too, something a bit different. But less of the questions that Richard writes, he does them so you can't Google them

Hows about a trivia on Children's TV? I'd be good at that.... pleaseeeeeee......

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 14:20

I'd actually like to eventually get rid of the terms "on-topic" and "off-topic". "On-topic" really only refers to Star Wars, Star Trek, and Fantasy. If we get in a lot more topics, more variety, and make it seem random, then what is truly "on-topic" and "off-topic"?

polson
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 17:18

Had the 2006 Stargate trivia event been held at a time other than a Saturday afternoon, I'd have attended.

You see, I have not had the luxery of attending trivia on a regular basis due to my work schedual. I have made it to trivia maybe a total of 5 times in the past five years and not once has it been on a topic of which I actually know about (i.e Star Trek or Stargate or an off topic subject i know about). While SPs are fun, for once i'd like to go to trivia to actually play trivia. Go figure, I must be some kind of freak of nature, and therefore not entitled to say I don't like the way trivia operates.

And I've been very vocal about all of this for several years, so no one can accuse me of not sending emails or posting in threads. I've done all I can short of joining trivia and taking it over.

polson
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 17:18

Majin, that's a good idea, actually. Do it!

polson
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 17:25

In addition to that other post there, you can't try something once and if it doesn't go totally as planned say "oh well, we tried, now we never have to do it again" and keep pointing back to a failed event as justification for never moving forward.

If something doesn't work, you examine it to find out why and adjust peramiters. You alter what needs to be altered and omit what needs to be omited and add what ought to be added - if OTF didn't do this, it would have died a long, long, long time ago. And sometimes, the "good enough" is the enemy of the "best". If something works all right and we can get by on it, we often leave it as is for years on end because why fix what's not broke? Stuff doesn't have to be broken to get upgraded.

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 19:03

Quoting: polson
Majin, that's a good idea, actually. Do it!

Sometimes I have good ideas.

And hey, I know we've had at least two Trivia events in the last month that were on Sundays. Yes, we know that people work on the weekends. I also know a lot of people who work on the weekdays. No matter what we do, someone is going to be left out. And yes, I'm all for change, or I wouldn't be pushing for things like "Operation Revolution" and some of the other things I have up my sleeve...

I just don't want Trivia to be left behind when OTF goes through it's big genre-bending/expanding changes. Instead of just saying "Here's what I think we should do", I feel that we of Trivia should see what the other patrons of OTF think, and try to take into consideration what they have to say. Well, instead of "STARGATE TRIVIA!!!" All Stargate Trivia is henceforth banned....

Kidding. For the time being, we have an *shudders* "off-topic" event every month. While it won't be happening next month, maybe a Stargate Trivia within three months after that? On a day other than Saturday...?

And I tend to think of trying to earn SP's as "playing Trivia", but that's just me...

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 19:04

And don't let it be said that I don't listen to people.

I just don't do everything they say.

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 19:07

And if I hold a Stargate Trivia, and no one who's there knows anything about Stargate, I ain't having another Stargate Trivia ever.

soka
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 19:27 · Edited by: soka

Polson, you say you have been very vocal about this for several years ... well, I've been in Trivia a total of 3 years (with a break) and one of the Division leaders for nearly 2 years, and before yesterday never heard a word of it.

Maybe you were vocal about it to the wrong people?

This one time we gave it a try it was such a huge failure that you can hardly imagine it, I don't want to go into details right now.
But what are the chances more people will know their SG this time? I can think of 3 maybe 4 people in the whole of OTF who like it, if 1 or 2 of them turn up it'll be a good number already. And the others... well, if they go the way you do they probably won't bother coming to a topic they don't know/like.

Anyway, trust me, we do think about how to improve things, more than you can see from the outside. Because well, not all ideas get implemented, or not yet or just are internal to begin with.

Which brings us back to the original topic ... More offtopic, yes or no?

polson
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 19:36

I have a different work schedual now that rotates all over the place and yeah I work the next month of saturdays and sundays. But I'm not asking you to make it work with my schedual, for years there have been more than just me saying the timing of events just doesn't work for them.

I absolutely love trivia, and I love being an insufferable know-it-all(surprise!!!). Earning SPs has nothing to do with "trivia". It's something to do for folks who don't know the answers - but I can play THAT game any time with pretty much anybody I know, and it doesn't have to be on a Saturday either.

And if your Stargate trivia doesn't work for you, I hope in thirty years OTF is still around and Stargate has whooped the ass of Star Trek into the ground and Trivia sticks to their principle of "it didn't work when we tried it so we wrote it off". Because then you will have sure showed me.

And I don't think I'm the only person who gets frustrated with Trivia events and timing. Lots of stuff has been posted over the years. I used to LOVE trivia and I came to every event I could and I enjoyed it. When it stopped being accessable, and stopped being fun, I spoke up. And i'll keep speaking up.

soka
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 20:12 · Edited by: soka

Like I said, it's been the first time I heard you actually complain about it in all the years I've been in Trivia.

And you keep complaining about 2 things all the time - not being able to be there and about there being no StarGate Trivia. Sometimes one person being very loud about something and saying it several times can make it appear to be general opinion, and maybe even has resulted in some of the bad choices of topics we have made in the past.

Face it, at least around here StarGate isn't the most popular show - personally I like it and watch it occasionally so you don't have to claim I gave it no chance because I disliked it myself or whatever you have been implying there.

And about the question of times, we actually did address that long ongoing discussion by creating a poll on it months ago, directly on the Trivia-page.
http://trivia.outpost10f.com bottom right corner if you need an exact location.
As you might be able to see, more than half voted for it to remain at the same time, a good quarter asked for sunday from time to time - which we plan to do and already started doing.
And noone at all used the Comment-option to suggest another time alltogether.

I now ask you to stop hitting into those two holes, because you know (or maybe you don't) people stop posting about the original topic of the thread if there is a discussion about something slightly off-topic going on, and this thread is about changing something! Or at least getting the general opinion of if it should be changed.

And yes, we asked for opinions, and you've made made yours sufficiently clear, so there is no point in pointing out that we did ask for opinions.

darth_balco
# Posted: 9 Feb 2008 21:17

The only thing I got to say is.....

Majin, do you still have that one email I sent you of the Trivias I wanted to do?
I magically deleted it.

tiamai
# Posted: 10 Feb 2008 06:01

Yes, more off-topic trivia!

Especially about stuff I know!

We should do like Trivia and then Pub Trivia, where we all get drunk and start making eyes at the bar man....

jamesqsoul
# Posted: 10 Feb 2008 17:46

I would suggest a good old fashioned pub Quiz!!!

but then there is the issue that questions i'd be able to answer might not be the same as someone from US.

So after all that I decided against suggesting it..

I just wanted to let myself know in the form of a post

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.030
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0