· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Career Change, and whats over yonder
stoth
# Posted: 7 Mar 2008 00:58

Hi guys, just a little note to let those who care know that I'm out for a career change in real life.

For those who dont know the story, I'm a chef, have been through the hard slog of my apprentership, and working in a kitchen for just over 5 years. To do the math thats 50 weeks a year, doing normally 5 days a week, say 50 hour weeks (ALOT more some weeks, some less, so its a good average). So, basically 12500 hrs in the kitchen. My body simply cannot handle it anymore. I'm too tall for starters. Also, I love cooking too much to think of it as a chore like i do at home at the moment.

So in a moment of brilliance (or just common sence - equates to the same thing in chefdom) I have decided that I need to move on, but where to?
Well, I asked that, and decided I needed help, So I recently saw a Careers Counsellor. And after the first meeting she thought that teaching maybe a good idea.
I will, however be going back to do some personality tests and what not in a couple of weeks to "confirm" her opinion.

I wont be running out of the kitchen just yet, but I will be walking to the future, either teaching mature aged students, or maybe working with students about to leave school, or something else entirely.

Not many people would have guessed I was going to be a chef 8 years ago, and now I'm not sure where I'll be in 8 years from now.

Aint it exciting?

The Soon-to-be-Ex OTF Chef
Sean

ryo_crimson
# Posted: 7 Mar 2008 18:18

Getting out in the big scary world is difficult and confusing, so I imagine one or even several changes of heart are not uncommon. Since my degree was somewhat vague, I guess I was afforded the luxury of several options for careers, one of which I'm actually about to start pursuing. I'm actually starting a teaching gig overseas in about a month, so if you'd like I could keep in touch and tell you how it goes, and share some of my experiences should the teaching thing remain something you want to consider. At any rate, best of luck to you, man.

Ryo

christena
# Posted: 7 Mar 2008 21:20

I know you will excell in anything you do SEany! Best of luck to you and many, many hugs to ya!
Miss ya!

Chrissy

stoth
# Posted: 8 Mar 2008 04:25

Ryo,
that would be wonderful, thanks.

Chrissy, I'm not so sure about that, but who knows, eh?

dierna
# Posted: 8 Mar 2008 06:04

Sean,

You could always get a job on the Food Network. They don't have an Aussie chef on there yet.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.017
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0