· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / The very, very, very serius debate about very. very important stuff, more important than OTF V3!
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
tiamai
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 11:05

Well? Come on.... how do we get it off track?

Seeing as we should all stop getting the actually very important threads off track, I thought, lets start one allready off track.

Now I'm betting nobody bothers to reply on this one, except Majin, to say 'Well really now, back to the topic'. And Polson to add a quick witted remark about something. And someone else to say how this is not very important at all and Tia dear, have you been sniffing your nail polish again?

master_chief
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 13:27

Okay, so if you'd clarify for those who don't know what the major topic is aside from the otf3 then it would be helpful... especially for a noob like me

david1
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 14:35

How much did you bet.... and loose?

XZ

majin_fett
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 16:19

Well, see, now this one truly doesn't have a topic, so how can we get back to the topic?

I rest my case.

tiamai
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 16:27

The topic is simple.

Very, Very, Very Important Stuff.

I bet my mascara, so I guess I lost it. Which is good, I needed a new one anyway.

master_chief
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 18:39

A very. very important thing... the fact that it's almost friday in my mind hahaha *resumes conversation with myself*

polson
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 19:05

Tia, God bless you.

tiamai
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 19:41 · Edited by: tiamai

Polson, God gave up on me a while ago and decided to let me do my own thing. We get on better this way

polson
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 23:43

You know what I mean. It's about time someone forced us to stay on topic. AFter all, in the real world, we all know what happens if you make a comment that is not on topic. Why, we could go off on a tangent, or worse, change the topic all together permenantly and then we would never, ever, EVER be able to go back to the original topic. Why, countries would crumble, democracies would topple, 7-11's would run out of slurpees. There should be LAWS against going off topic. There should be penalties and police to enforce the rules. Every conversation taking place everywhere will be recorded and examined to determine if someone went off topic and then they will be persecuted for their insolence and blatant disregard for the destruction of civilization as we know it! My lanta...can you imagine if friends chatting about the structure of their favorite chatroom went off topic?? The consequences could be dire! How dare they!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!

majin_fett
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 00:04

I think some people need to take a chill pill.

cellucci2
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 00:11

*peeks in* very very interesting.

cellucci2
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 00:17

Spring is here, the sky is blue,
Birds all sing, as if they knew
Today's the day, we'll say I do
And we'll never be lonely anymore

Because we're going to the chapel and we're gonna get married
Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married
Gee, I really love you and we're gonna get married
Going to the chapel of love

Bells will ring, the sun will shine,
I'll be his, and he'll be mine
We'll love until, the end of time
And we'll never be lonely anymore

Because we're going to the chapel and we're gonna get married
Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married
Gee, I really love you and we're gonna get married

Moon

Feeble
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 00:33

Alright, if we're gonna do this... the difference is in real life things are happening in real time, tangents are used as diversionary tactics because you can't think for an hour about what you want to say. Tangents in a forum - where you are trying to improve stuff or stick to a debate of some weight - are just silly because you don't have to say anything.

Meanwhile, Polson, I am sorry that you took my post to mean anything directly about you, and I am sorry that you felt you had to vilify me for pointing out that forums are not talking, and not chat, and given that when you go to a forum and want to read something about a specific topic and then get silliness, well then, it gets irritating.

I also was not saying anyone's intention was to belittle, but, when someone tries to pull conversation back on topic, and then gets blatantly ignored, it hurts.

That's that.

As for off-topic, how about them musicians?

majin_fett
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 00:41

I still blame Skrulls for everything.

Feeble
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 00:46

what does the colour blue taste like?

mezoti
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 02:36

am I the only one who hates the forums, still, after all these years?

..and who really doesn't care if people go oftopic?

'cause, yeah, otf is meant to be ... you know ... fun?

majin_fett
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 03:15

I'm okay with fun topics and what not. I just get troubled at times when certain threads get taken way off topic for pages when the topic is supposed to be something constructive.

But oh well.

tiamai
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 09:20

The colour blue tastes like vaniilla. I know cos I had blue ice cream last week and it tasted of vanilla. It was nice.

Ice cream is very, very, very important. And not to be taken lightly and poked fun at.

Well... I suppose it's light if it's on a cone and you can poke fun at it with a Flake. A wafer is even more fun... oh look, you must be poor, you have a wafer.... nah! My Mummy and Daddy love me more cos I got a flake... well I got two so boo-hoo you big stinky head.... Now that I am 5 again I can go play with my play dough and make a pony.

polson
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 13:20

See, I'm not the one who needs a chill pill. My post was to point out the completely ridiculous notion that you (by you I mean the "stay on topic!" ers) somehow have the right to tell people what they can and cannot comment on in the forums, and where they can and cannot make those comments. Us topic derailers aren't the childish ones here. If you start stamping your feet and go running home crying because someone made an unrelated comment or series of comments, that's got more to do with you than it does with us random posters. In generally I simply just shrug it off when you guys get all pissy, though lately I gotta say I'm losing my patience. There's demands being made that are unrealistic, inappropriate and in my opnion, unacceptable.

Unless this place suddenly became the UN without my knowledge, I can make random silly comments as I damn well please - and it certainly doesn't mean I haven't put time and thought into whatever topic has been derailed (or any previous posts within said thread), nor does it mean I can't think of anything to say. In fact if I can't think of anything to say, I usually don't say anything. If I'm posting it's because I thought of something. Even if it doesn't relate.

And the world doesn't revolve around you. If I ignore your attempts to bring me back on topic, surprise! It actually has nothing to do with you. So if anyone takes that personally, not my fault and not my problem. I'm not going to hold your hand so that you can cope with people who don't follow your self-imposed forum rules.

If a serious discussion cropped up in a random silly thread, would you shut them down for being "on topic"? Certainly not. Why? Because the content is more important or more useful? Well, I suppose some people do think that way. I think they're wrong. I personally find just as much value in random insane discussions as serious ones. People need those outlets. I don't think you can hold one over the other and say "stay on your side! I'm more important than you!" I think silly and serious can co-exist. Rather, I know they can. I do it every day.

And sometimes, a "serious" thread goes off topic because it's been beaten to death and the people who regularly post have posted, and posted, and posted and at some point you move on in the conversation. You can only talk in circles for so long.

tiamai
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 14:50

My gosh Polson! You have went all serius on a non-serius Very, very, very serius thread!

Besides, most of the time the topics go of topic is because one, it has been done before, two, it got beat to death and trampled down by the heards of replys and all that was left was a rather grotty bloody trail. And three, we got bored?

I do wonder if it will get closed for going off-topic even if the topic was rather vague and obviusly a joke to begin with. You all got that bit didn't you? It's supposed to be fun? If not, no problem. We can start one called the Great Debate of OTF where we can all throw little strops and tantrums.

Now me, I don't really mind because I will still poke my nose in and demand attention regerdless of the topic. Why? Because I still think that the topic going off topic and that people are still having fun here is far more important than anything else.

If I wanted to read long threads about how and why we should do this, and post well thought out serius replys, then I would let Dmitri drag me to a political forum.

Bac to the seruis, seruis stuff, did you know that Chimpanzees have a far superior short term memory than us? And not just me, but clever folk too!

I love chimps, they sort out arguments by throwing their arms about and charging around. How simple.

majin_fett
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 17:26

I'm done. I'll stop pushing my point. You were right. I'm being unreasonable.

tiamai
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 17:49

Quoting: majin_fett
I'm done. I'll stop pushing my point. You were right. I'm being unreasonable.

No, see you are the voice of reason. And you can do it without throwing a strop like my 3 year old. Or even my 6 year old.

Your like the little Good Homer. It's just a shame that all anyone remembers is the Dancing Homer. I am evil Homer, I am evil Homer! Cha cha cha!

Now, what colour should my nails be today? I'm fed up with gold.

alane
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 21:03

Well....as the Joker said to Batman......."Why so serious?"...

polson
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 23:07

Tia, I have failed you. *cries*

majin_fett
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 23:30 · Edited by: majin_fett

Why so serious?

polson
# Posted: 30 Apr 2008 23:40

It is a trap! Don't click it!

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 09:29

EEk! I clicked it! I didn't mean to! It was the eBay gene taking over!

babel
# Posted: 1 May 2008 10:51

Polson - that post of yours looks very much to me like a personal attack.

polson
# Posted: 1 May 2008 13:23

Jeremy - I did not include any names for the very reason I did not want it to become a personal attack. I haven't any personal issue with anyone who it was directed at - rather I like several of them as people and friends. I also did my very best to phrase everything from my personal POV instead of making assumptions about other people's intentions - a curtosy which was not given to me.

And I'll admit it - I was beyond pissed off when I wrote that. And I'd been awake for 44 hours straight.

I am, however, not wrong. Slice it anyway you want to, pick apart my post and disagree with how I said it, but when it comes down to it, nobody has the right to force anybody to post on their-personally-approved-topic, or the right to impose their own rules on forum posters.

Even in all important high and mighty conferences and congresses and meetings around the world, people are bound to depart from the topic at hand, however so briefly. On a scale of "it's vital we stay on topic" A UN meeting about world peace is a 9. When your grandfather calls you into his hospital room to tell the family that he's chosen to let pnemonia kill him instead of starving to death due to cancer, that's a 10 on the old stay on topic-o-meter. And don't think that there weren't jokes cracked in that hospital room. And don't think for a second that it meant we didn't respect the topic at hand. (I use that story not for sympathy but for perspective) This is a Star Trek web site forum. I'd say this place is about a 3 on a good day. It's unbelievable that some folks are trying to treat the forums like they're an 11.

A tip for anyone who cares: If you want to discuss a topic, post on that topic. You'll find a more than a few folks who will respond on topic. You cannot however force generate conversation by saying, "You're not on our topic. Post on our topic. Ready, set, go."

Perfect example: I've posted seriously in a seriously non serious thread. And look! I have generated conversation on this topic. And in between there are unrelated posts, which by not being related are in fact, on topic. Either this thread defies all logic, or we have actually succeeded in posting on topic and off topic, seriously and sillyly (uh...I think I just made up a word) all in the same thread without collapsing the forums.

babel
# Posted: 1 May 2008 13:25

Correction: you *think* you're not wrong. That is an opinion you are entitled to, but it is a *subjective* opinion. I, as you might have guessed, am on the counter-side to your opinion in this instance. And I honestly don't believe that simply by not including names you made it any less obvious who you were talking about.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0