· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / The very, very, very serius debate about very. very important stuff, more important than OTF V3!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
polson
# Posted: 1 May 2008 13:28

P.S. And I am going to name two names here just to be perfectly clear: I very much like and respect Majin and Pheebs. I consider them both to be friendly, intellegent people.

polson
# Posted: 1 May 2008 13:31

Jeremy, in my opinion, my opinion of this topic is not subjective.

Remember when you and me and Teek went on a topic derailing mission? That was a fun day.

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 15:53

Pah, this stuff is not serius....

What IS serius is the fact I am out od nail polish remover and I have a college interview tomorrw and will have to go in with very chipped gold nail polish!

In the grand scheme of things, my nails are way more important.

Anyway, I have vegetable kung po coming along nicely on the cooker and I must go dunk my noodles.

majin_fett
# Posted: 1 May 2008 17:08

I love it how a comic book forum can stay on topic better than we can, and they actually seem to have fun doing it.

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 17:21

Direct us to it and we will learn.

Maybe the forum just manages to have fun eh?

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 17:41

It seems that the forums, especially this topic and the others related to change, boil down to people complaining and b*tching but not offering any viable solutions and it makes those of us who do want to offer some quality, thought out, and intelligent solutions not even want to bother. Sitting here watching people become just personally attacking each other, while also not understanding the basics of change management, makes me really just frustrated. Grandit, I've not been around enough to contribute a fair deal to these forums and I respect those who are in seats of being the rain-makers but when you look at the people who are supposed to be projecting viewpoints of rational leadership based on experience and past positions turning into bickering little monkies.. it just makes me wonder.

I sit in the chat helping people and providing a good voice and offer to be there to solve problems yet I see people in these forums who really don't have the basic premise of leadership down yet. That is 1. Tolerance towards other's opinions/viewpoints and 2. The ability to, when approaching a problem, give a rational and thought out set of solutions which, while may not be correct, add functional and practical level of crticial thinking towards the debate at hand.

Format of Post in point:

Problem: Changes at outpost10f
x, y, and z

Possible Solutions: a, b, and c
Projected Reasoning: d, e, and f

While tying in personal experience and understanding of the current system at work and working towards a mature response to a problem would be effective here... I, personally, see none of it. I understand it's suppose to be a 'fun' place but each of us has to contribute to a solution and approach this forum, and our teammates, with respect, dignity, and tolerance.

As I proposed a problem as I see it, considering my format above, there are many solutions I recommend.

Solution 1: Get together with those people who you work with, whom you may have an issue with, and suggest to each other your own views and how you see the situation and try to step into the other person's shoes for a little bit. Step back and understand the shadow you're projecting on those who are supposed to glean respect and leadership from you.

Solution: Ignore the person.

Solution: Try to approach the personality clash with an understanding of 'how can I deal with this person, or group, amacably(sp?)" Doing so will change your perspective and give you a more broader viewpoint instead of focusing on the smaller things and realizing that it's an issue which needs many heads to solve and no one has the correct answer.

Anyway, sorry for rambling.

majin_fett
# Posted: 1 May 2008 17:56

You lost me somewhere in the first half of your post.

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 17:58

Quoting: majin_fett
You lost me somewhere in the first half of your post.

*tries to find you. Hehe, if you're interested in hearing a more in-depth explanation I can try to provide one.

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 17:59

THIS topic is not about the big change. This topic is about serius, serius stuff.

You people keep forgetting that

Also nobody has yet came up with a solutin to my lack of nail polish remover dilemma either.

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:03

Quoting: tiamai
THIS topic is not about the big change. This topic is about serius, serius stuff.

Given that I don't know the definition of serius, serius... I chose to respond to the disagreement between babel and polson and point to it on a more broader level applicable to some of the issues going on now in otf. I'm sorry if it was incorrect to post here.

Solution: go buy more?

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:22

Quoting: master_chief
Solution: go buy more?

Can't brats are in bed.

Found alcohol instead.

Now to drink it or remove nail polsih with it?

Remove nail polish, dilemma solved, drink it, I forget that I am even wearing nail polish!

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:23

Remove nail polish, dilemma solved, drink it, I forget that I am even wearing nail polish!

Now that sounds like fun *l*

majin_fett
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:28

Oh dear....

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:33

Quoting: majin_fett
Oh dear....

yes?

majin_fett
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:34

Your name is "Dear" now?

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:38

I was kidding hahaha.... they can call me whatever they like... but still they call me *l*

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:41

Alcohol didn't work! But painting on clear polish and wiping it off many times did. So now you all know how to remove nail polish if you have no remover.

So what do I wear to a college group presentation followed by interview? I figure something tight cos there aint no way I am getting in on brains alone is there?

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 18:46

black suit with your hair tied up... skirt, mini preferred ... glasses, fake nails?

tiamai
# Posted: 1 May 2008 20:05

it's a college interview, not an Adult Film Audition

master_chief
# Posted: 1 May 2008 20:52

it's a college interview, not an Adult Film Audition

yes, well... *turns on Adult Film Auditions 5* haha.

majin_fett
# Posted: 1 May 2008 22:55

So, did this whole on-topic/off-topic "war" (I use the term very lightly) really need to get as heated as it did? It seems that people think that us "on-topicers" want every single thread to be "on-topic." For me, that's not the case. I don't think there should necessarily be a topic for every single thread. I was only trying to keep certain topics (recently, just one topic actually) on track because I felt it had an important topic, like the changes at OTF. I agree that it does get annoying when you have to root through several pages of nonsense in order to get to the meat of the post, and every time I saw that someone posted a new message, I would actually get kinda excited to see someone else's opinion on the topic, only to be disappointed by someone having fun and derailing that one particular thread.

Now, threads like this? I really don't give a damn what gets talked about, because the point of this thread isn't some big huge important topic like changes at OTF, which is important to me. So please don't think that I'm trying to "suck the fun" out of OTF. I just like something serious from time to time. Is that really too much to ask? From what I see, it seems to be too much to ask for some people (not naming names because this isn't some kind of personal attack, just observing).

I just think some people are taking this way too far. I might be one of them. And this is just my opinion. I am in no way saying that I'm right. I'm probably wrong, and actually, I'm not afraid to admit that I might be wrong.

And hey, I'm guilty of at least once posting something that helped derail a thread, but I had no idea that it would go that far. We all make mistakes.

majin_fett
# Posted: 1 May 2008 23:02

So, I guess the whole point of my above post is this: Can't there be some kind of balance?

Feeble
# Posted: 1 May 2008 23:43

I also want to say that I was specifically talking about constructive topics... and pointed to forums where there could be off-topic conversation.

Polson, I really don't want to get into all of this, but I go back to my original point of all of the incidents you sited to Jeremy where diversion is necessary (Dying grandfather, UN etc) - yes, but these things happen in real time, it's a way of coping with uncomfortableness and pain, of saving face. A forum, you can always close the window, get up, go outside, find another forum, take an hour or seven before responding - it doesn't have to be fast or flash point conversation... Hence, if you read my comment to another thread suggesting that we all give knee-jerk reactions when it comes to OTFV3, post as soon as we've finished reading, that's where people end up getting hurt... The beauty of email and forums and even IMs, to a degree, is that you can think before you respond.

But, I'm sorry if it comes off as me being all policey, it was not intended as such. I just think in our society as a whole we use this 'inevidability' as a way of excusing behaviours - yes, many that are far, far more serious - rather than challenging them because, clearly, 'it's always going to happen'... But I can see how that comes off as policey and whatnot, and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings - but - it really was not an attack at you at all Polson. There are many people who derail serious conversation about OTFV3 in almost every single thread just because they can. This causes more threads than anyone can possibly cope with reading, and then belittles the issue and what people are trying to achieve - I stand by that, I'm not saying that you mean to belittle anyone, but it trivialises the conversation by association.

Sure, if things go off topic, which maybe sometimes they will - but I believe if someone asks for something to come back on target, we owe respect and friendship to eachother in saying 'ok, I'll respect your wishes on this'. That's the sort of community we're trying to save. That's what the prime directives are roughly about, if anyone finds something offensive or it rubs them the wrong way, they have the right to say so, and do so without descrimination. The chat is founded on a principle of mutual respect for beliefs and culture, so why can't the forums follow a similar principle?

And, overall, my sentiment still stands - why read it if you're not interested or you think it's going in circles and therefore want to be silly?

daecrist
# Posted: 2 May 2008 03:19

So if a thread is about something specific, it's not unreasonable to expect it to stay on topic. If we're talking about Superman in a forum then I can see why some people would be annoyed by random silliness derailing the thread.

If a thread is all about the random silliness then have fun! Go wild! Enjoy yourself!

There's a time and a place for both types of discussion here on the forums. Let's all live and let live without all the bile and vitriol. Please.

polson
# Posted: 2 May 2008 19:19 · Edited by: polson

Show me the PD or the charter of rights or the legislature that states I cannot post off topic in a forum, and that someone else has the right to force me to stay on topic. Please. I am very, very interested in being educated.

polson
# Posted: 2 May 2008 19:25

P.S. I was arguing for balance, btw. You may have missed it. I wasn't arguing for the extreme of derail everything all the time in every way.

majin_fett
# Posted: 2 May 2008 19:31

*lol* You're right, Polson. Absolutely, 100% right. We shouldn't have started this argument in the first place. Whoops.

I have more to say, but I don't know how to say it without it being ripped to shreds.

cellucci2
# Posted: 2 May 2008 21:56

this is the craziest forum I've ever read to be serious or not be serious, that is the question

tiamai
# Posted: 2 May 2008 22:05

Quoting: cellucci2
this is the craziest forum I've ever read to be serious or not be serious, that is the question

I don't think it matters anymore. Everyones head are that far up their own asses it's no wonder they talk ****.

Besides babe, me+you+msn, happy days! Even better when we have another +1 eh?

You got my email, I have your number somewhere....

cellucci2
# Posted: 2 May 2008 22:13

tru dat

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0