· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Klingon Paper
sociologypap
# Posted: 5 Nov 2008 21:18

Hello. I am conducting a paper for my College Sociology Class. This paper is on Cross-Racial/Ethnic diversities and I was wondering if anyone would be able to answer some interview questions in order to help me. I decided to choose the Klingon race due the lack of understanding of such. The following is the purpose for my paper and the questions I will be asking to answer. After answering the questions if you could please provide counter questions to me similar to the questions I have asked that would be of great help. Thank you.

“Objectives: This assignment is another “Applied Sociology” experience in which you will both conduct an interview and experience being interviewed on the topic of racial and/or ethnic identity. The issues associated with race, ethnicity, privilege, disadvantage, racism, etc. are often challenging topics for people in our society to discuss- even among close friends. The conventional wisdom seems to be to avoid discussion or acknowledgement of differences at all costs, particularly with people who are different than you. However, it is actually critically important that we engage in honest, respectful discussions with people of different races or ethnicities from our own. This is the only true path to greater understanding and hope for decreased tension. “

[list]
What race or ethnic group do you consider yourself a part of?
How important is race, ethnicity to your overall self identity?
Do you identify more with your racial group or your ethnic group?
How has your experience of your racial, ethnic identity changed over time (i.e. from childhood until now)?
Discuss experiences of privilege and/or oppression/racism associated with your racial or ethnic identities.
How tolerant are others about your race/ethnicity?
Do you feel like others are ill-informed about your race/ethnicity?
Is there a bond you feel between others of your same race/ethnicity, if so can you describe it?
Was there ever a time you wished you could change your race or ethnicity?
How do you deal with social intolerances?
Are there stereotypes or negative messages about your race or ethnicity that are particularly disturbing to you?
For recent immigrants: Tell me about why you came to the United States?
What has been the best/the worst part of life here?

How often do you discuss your race/ ethnicity?
How comfortable do you feel talking about your race/ethnicity?
What feelings do you get discussing it?
Are there any other things you would like to point out that I have not asked that you feel would be a benefit in understanding your race/ethnicity?[/li]
[/list]

Thank you again.
Serious responses only please. This is going to be a graded paper and I need only honest answers.
My email is mseidler88@live.com if you would like to email me your responses instead of posting.

iain
# Posted: 5 Nov 2008 21:26 · Edited by: iain

Are you serious?

I am almost certain - even without having taken the course - that your professor will be expecting a paper about a real group of people.

EDIT:
If you just want responses from Outpost 10F members, great.
But there are no Klingons here - and you said you wanted to find out about the "Klingon race"(!).

EDIT 2:
It implicitly sounds like your professor is expecting answers from US citizens only. Outpost 10F has many non-US citizens. This may disqualify the site as a valid group of people for your paper. It may be worth checking with your professor first, as I am sure that this is not what he had in mind when he set the assignment (although that doesn't mean that he wouldn't accept it, if asked!).

sociologypap
# Posted: 5 Nov 2008 21:36

It really does no matter, the more the merrier please.

polson
# Posted: 5 Nov 2008 22:35 · Edited by: polson

I'll answer your questions, but you should know, I am not now nor have I ever been a Klingon. I don't know what it's like to be Klingon, and even though I can say, "Where do you keep the chocolate?" in Klingon I highly doubt I will ever have the opportunity to use this skill in real life.

I also highly doubt my answers will somehow be useful for your paper, but I'm bored and I like to hear myself type.

1. What race or ethnic group do you consider yourself a part of?
Answer: I'm Canadian. My ancestory includes Scottish, Irish, British, Swiss but primarily Sweedish. If people ask what my ethnic group is, my answer is "Canadian." I'm caucasion if that matters (though imo it doesn't). Technically, my great great grandmother was First Nations (I have no idea which tribe) and I could apply for treaty status, but frankly that's a total joke and I would never do it. I'm as fair haired as they come and my skin is computer paper white. Even white people make fun of how white I am. My legs have the ability to blind people.

2. How important is race, ethnicity to your overall self identity?
Answer: I'm extremely proud to be Canadian. It's important to me for people to know that I am Canadian and not American (it is long joked that the definition of Canadian is 'not American'.) Beyond that...it's inconsequential. Being white means nothing to me.

3. Do you identify more with your racial group or your ethnic group?
Answer: No. People are people. You can always find common ground with pretty much anybody if you try.

4. How has your experience of your racial, ethnic identity changed over time (i.e. from childhood until now)?
Answer: Where I grew up I rarely encountered anyone of a different color or ethnic background. When I did, I can't say that it crossed my mind to think of them differently; people are people no matter what they look like or believe in. I didn't understand racism, or why the USA was so obsessed with it because I had not encountered it. As an adult I have still not personally encountered racism, though I know it exists in the world. I am extremely bothered by the way American TV makes everything about race (i.e. the recent presidential election). Even when it is intended positively (the hyp about America's first (or sixth so I hear) black president for example), I feel that it only serves to point out "people of this race are a different classification of person". It bothers me a lot.

5. Discuss experiences of privilege and/or oppression/racism associated with your racial or ethnic identities.
Answer: I have never experienced any issue with this within my own country. I've experienced uneducated assumptions made primarily from Americans via the internet, however every American I've met personally has rarely acted ignorantly of my country. When I've traveled to other countries I receive privilges due to being Canadian; cheaper prices, kind treatment in markets, a great deal of friendly service. In Mexico I received extra attention over my two friends because of my blonde hair.

6. How tolerant are others about your race/ethnicity?
Answer: In my experience, very.

7. Do you feel like others are ill-informed about your race/ethnicity?
Answer: Again, it depends. I've met well informed people and ill-informed people, often from within the same people group. And I dare say I know very little about the culture and life style of other people groups, so it's not a cut and dry question to answer.

8. Is there a bond you feel between others of your same race/ethnicity, if so can you describe it?
Answer: Yes, but again I think that goes to common ground. For example, I can make jokes that only Canadians will get, jokes that I know will get a laugh from those who live here and will fall on deaf ears for any other culture. However the same thing goes for my friends here in OTF - "nerd humor" as I call it, is very specific. I can make references to almost any sci fi show and someone here will know exactly what I'm talking about, whereas my friends irl will look at me like I'm nuts. I think we are drawn to people with which we have common ground, regardless of what that common ground is.

9. Was there ever a time you wished you could change your race or ethnicity?
Answer: No.

10. How do you deal with social intolerances?
Answer: Depends. If someone wants to discuss it or hear my side or explain their side, I'm happy for a discussion. If they're determined to never hear any opinon but their own and determined not to analyse why they believe what they believe, why bother wasting your time on it?

11. Are there stereotypes or negative messages about your race or ethnicity that are particularly disturbing to you?
Answer: I hate being mistaken for an American, does that count? Besides that, there's just the usual stereotypes, the thing about all Canadians living in igloos and whatnot. But that says more about the people who perpetuate that kind of ignorant BS than it does about me so I can't say it disturbs me.

12. How often do you discuss your race/ ethnicity?
Online mostly, and not all that often. Usually only when I run into someone who's got mistaken information about what Canadians are like. In real life I only really discuss it when it comes up in conversation, or we're sitting around watching Royal Canadian Air Farce (a political satyricl comedy show that pokes fun of Canadian politicians primarily, but also devotes a lot of time to satyrizing the USA).

13, How comfortable do you feel talking about your race/ethnicity?
Doesn't bother me.

14. What feelings do you get discussing it?
Well, just like I said before...I get annoyed that we make such a big deal out of it. Like somehow being a member of an ethnic group or minority or majority means you are more or less. And we spend so much time avoiding accidently treating a person of another ethnicity like they are not a member of another ethnicity that we often make them feel like they are different. It's annoying. For my job I often have to ask clients what ethnicity they are and I detest it; in my opinon, it doesn't matter what they are. I hate that I have to ask that question for statistic's sake.

Are there any other things you would like to point out that I have not asked that you feel would be a benefit in understanding your race/ethnicity?

Some people think that Alberta specifically is very racist. I haven't personally experienced this. I went to college up north where there was exactly 1 black man. He was in fact half black, and married to a white woman. Never occured to me to think anything of it until he joked one day that he was the only black man living north of Edmonton. Which isn't true at all, but it was funny. And that's the world I live in...we joke about the big deal people make of ethnic differences. For example, great conversation while sitting around at lunch one day. I have no recolection of what preceeded this, just that the discussion ended this way.

Brian (the previously mentioned half black man): "You're just saying that because I'm black!"
Yuya (Japanese-Canadian): "That's right, my brother from another mother! They're oppressing our people!"
Clinton (my cousin on the side with the First Nations ethnicity who looks just as white as I do): "Get off my land!"

My dad uses racial slurs on a reglar basis - not to anyone's face of course, just when he's at home with us, other people wouldn't get it, but he does it because he thinks it's funny the way we assign so much power to those words as society. I get mad at him every time because TV teaches me to get righteously indignent at racial slurs - which kind of proves his point. Words only have power if we give it to them.

Last thing I wanted to say, simply because I can. This was a conversation in the lunch line (in front of a primarily Canadian audience, peppered with Americans, several Missionary Kids and one fellow from Kenya) and I don't remember what the argument was, and it was in general a total mock argument between two best friends so it doesn't matter.

Jake (white Canadian): Oh sorry, I forgot you were Chinese!
Lunch Line: OoooooOooooOOOOoOooo....
Yuya (Japanese-Canadian): American!
Lunch Line: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

aeon
# Posted: 6 Nov 2008 12:53 · Edited by: aeon

As a Klingon, I consider myself of course part of the Klingon ethnic group.

Oh, Klingonesque is very important to me. Especially as a Klingon.

I identify myself with the Klingon ethnic group, because... you guessed it... I'm a Klingon.

How has your experience of your racial, ethnic identity changed over time (i.e. from childhood until now)?
It was all fun until the Age of Ascension. I was pretty much a pacifist until that time, but my father made it clear, that the rite of passage was mandatory in order to become a warrior. And as all Klingons - more or less - are warriors, and I didn't want to bring dishonor over my family and descendants, I participated in the rite. And now? Whoo hoo.. .bat'leths rock so much.

Discuss experiences of privilege and/or oppression/racism associated with your racial or ethnic identities.
We have a pretty serious racist problem with the Romulans. Despite the fact that we have been allies some time ago, that treaty has been disbanded ever since we wanted to have better relationships with the Federation. And of course that attack at Khitomer was not so very pretty either. Well anyway, the Romulans don't think too nice of us Klingons. I wouldn't say we're oppressed by them, but racism is a serious problem.

As for privileges... I don't exactly know any. We are notorious in the galaxy for being warriors, and some cultures like the Sk'tuu and the Andorians secretly admire us for that, but privileges... I don't know any. Oooh.. wait... the thing abou our third lung and second heart and so on... yeah, it is an advantage at the Olympic Games, but... yeah privilege? Hmm...

Varies. The 24th century is actually very tolerant and open-minded, and racism is not really a problem anymore. However, some people think that the Klingon Empire shouldn't expand anymore, because all we do is fighting which has led us almost to the downfall of the Empire (Praxis etc.). Maybe they're right, who knows...

Oh very much. They almost all think that we are nothing but warriors, always yearning for blood and stuff, but they don't really know about our soft side. The arias of Barak-Kadan are something that makes your knees weak and your heart set out for a second in joy.

Is there a bond you feel between others of your same race/ethnicity, if so can you describe it?
All Klingons are brothers, unless you have a feud with another house. But if it comes to war, all Klingons stick together, because we're all warriors. That bond is strong.

No.

On Qo'nos it is a problem when warriors think bad of scientists and doctors and make fun of them. I try not to do that... anymore.

Are there stereotypes or negative messages about your race or ethnicity that are particularly disturbing to you?
No. I usually just kill anyone who makes fun of me or thinks negatively. That's how we Klingons roll.

I don't know any Klingon who has immigrated to the United States. I know that we have an ambassador in San Francisco, but wasn't San Francisco part of the United Earth? I'll have to check Memory Alpha for that information...

Well, I never lived there, but... the best part about Earth is anything Mongolian... and the worst part is that humans are so weak.

Not that often.

Very.

Is that supposed to be a naughty question?

Are there any other things you would like to point out that I have not asked that you feel would be a benefit in understanding your race/ethnicity?
If you want to fully understand how the Klingon heart beats, you need to know this: From distant Qui'Tu the gods came to Qo'noS, which burned with fire. They took the fire of Qo'noS and shaped it, forming it into a heart that beat more powerfully and more forcefully than anything in the cosmos, the heart of the first Klingon. But the beat of the first Klingon heart was a lonely one, without equal in the universe. So the gods shaped from fire a second heart, as mighty and powerful as the first. Those two hearts beat together in unison and the gods trembled at their power. The beat of the two hearts grew stronger and stronger, until the gods could not withstand their might. United together, the first Klingons slew the gods that created them, proving there was nothing two united Klingon hearts could not accomplish.

Hope I could help you trying to understand the Klingon race better. Q'apla!

*edited for typos*

iain
# Posted: 6 Nov 2008 13:14

(The first successful Klingon Turing Test.)

aeon
# Posted: 6 Nov 2008 13:57

The Wookiee Turing Test was even easier.

bria
# Posted: 6 Nov 2008 21:48

First off: In my opinion, "race" is an outdated term at this stage, "ethnicity" is often substituted for it. There's a lot of literature on both, but the opinions differ vastly. "Race" has been discounted as subject to too much interpretation to be of any analytical value. I mean, can you define the term, maybe, before asking people to identify according to it? If you are looking at the Klingon race, are you looking to us as members of the human race (actually, one case where the term "race" is, I guess, legit)?

Aside from that - you do realise that the Klingons are fictional, right? And that none of us here are actually Klingon?

I'm human.

It isn't. My nationality is, to an extent, especially since I'm living abroad.

Is this an "either or" question? Maybe you can explain the difference to me? I've read a lot of academic stuff on both, and no one seems to agree which is which. Some equate the two. I can't answer that question.

It hasn't. It never really played a role.

There hasn't really been either.

It isn't really an issue. I guess the answer is "completely".

I don't know, how much do Klingons and other races know about humans?

Having the same skin/hair/eye colour as someone else doesn't automatically endear them to me, and being human as opposed to an elephant or a Wookiee isn't always a positive thing either.

No.

Generally, I ignore it and spend my time with people who are tolerant. They're easier to find, anyway.

The view propounded by some that humans are fundamentally flawed and horrible is disturbing to me. I'm neither.

I didn't immigrate to the United States, I immigrated to Ireland, and it's been awesome. I just miss the food sometimes.

This is the first time.

I'm fine with it.

I'm feeling a little silly. Also a bit incredulous that this is such an issue. Honestly, I think the whole "race" thing has gone on long enough, we should drop it. It's been proven as subjective and changing, making it all but useless as the base for any semi-serious enquiry.

I'm not really sure which racial or ethnic group I'm belonging to here, since you haven't defined either word and the conventional definitions vary a great deal. So I guess that understanding my race or ethnicity is impossible, because it's not defined. I would urge you to read "Ethnicity and Nationalism" by Thomas Hylland Eriksen, he's got some good comments on the whole issue.

polson
# Posted: 7 Nov 2008 03:01

Aeon, you SLAY me...

polson
# Posted: 7 Nov 2008 03:03

Iain...know of any online things where you can ask a computer questions for the fun of it? we had one on MS DOS when I was a kid, some Dr. Somebody and it was hilarious...

iain
# Posted: 7 Nov 2008 05:03 · Edited by: iain

Polson- Here's one (albeit not top of the range), an Eliza Bot. And here's a much better one, ALICE (click the "Chat with A.L.I.C.E." link to the top-left of the page).

EDIT: I had to add Dr Romulon.

quincyw
# Posted: 7 Nov 2008 09:16

I've gotta say this. I think culture and ethniticity is a myth.

I was born in Hong Kong and migrated to Australia when I was about seven. I've been living in Australia for about two decades now and have been a naturalised citizen for... I think fifteen years.

When I talk to someone, I talk to them. I don't treat anyone differently because they're of a different nation, or "race". Similarly, people talk to me and respond to me because I'm me.

My parents brought me up the way they brought me up. They taught me a set of values, of which some I proscribe and some I disagree with. They are not me, I'm me. They may have taught me Anglican-Christian values, but I don't necessarily obey them, as an example. I am "officially" Anglican for census purposes, but I'm Agnostic, I don't believe in any one Higher Power as such.

If I eventually have children, would that make them, by definition, culturally Chinese-Australian? Quite possibly. But would they be just Chinese-Australian? Definitely not. I shall try and pass onto them a set of beliefs and values that get me through life and I would encourage them to figure out what does and doesn't work for them.

To simply label people by their culture and ethniticity is stupid. You would deny each person their identity. You want to call me Chinese-Australian? You may do so, but you will find I certainly don't fit the mould at all.

I am me. I am unique. I belong to no true, simply labelled nationality or ethniticity. And I'm proud of that.

mezoti
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 02:10

Oh please.

*shakes head*

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.015
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0