· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Kirk or Picard?
<< . 1 . 2 .
babel
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 14:18

Captain James Tiberius Kirk all the way.

Jean-Luc was admirable. Thoughtful, brave, steadfast, compassionate, a born explorer. These are all qualities Kirk and Picard share. I don't dislike Picard. In fact, I think he is a wonderful character and starship captain.

But I suppose it is no surprise that I should go for Jim. He's not the arrogant womaniser hot-head many portray him as. He was forceful when needed, strong-willed and he disliked bigotry and tyranny immensely.

Jim was obviously loved and respected by his crew. One of my favourite moments for the character is in the episode 'Dagger of the Mind'. The Enterprise is about to beam up cargo from the penal colony Tantalus V, but the transporter won't work. The transporter technician is baffled until Kirk reminds him that as a penal colony, it will have an anti-beaming shield that must be lowered. sS he is leaving the room, Jim turns and says 'You might re-familiarise yourself with penal colony transporter procedure' (or words to that effect, but he says it with a small smile. The crewman says 'yes, sir' with a small smile (of relief) of his own. Only a small moment but revealing of how Kirk was regarded by his crew.

Also, I won't have Jim Kirk being dismissed as a shoot-firsdt warmonger. If yoy want to see proof positive of the opposite, check out 'The Corbomite Maneuvre' in which Kirk goes back to rescue a ship that not long before had been threatening to destroy the Enterprise.

'Risk is our business,' Kirk once said, and he obviously felt that the Enterprise and her crew had a duty not only to the citizens of the Federation, but also to every life form encountered - and to that still to be discovered. To the unknown - or, as he himself put it, 'there is no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily misunderstood.' He was a pioneer, an explorer, a very human (and flawed) individual who inspired the utmost loyalty and love in those around him.

Yes. He was a womaniser. I can't deny that. But his relationship with Carol Marcus had broken down, with her telling Jim to kepe away from a son he was not to meet for decades. Then there was Edith Keeler, a woman he was forced to allow to die right in front of him. Bearing in mind that straight after tjat his brother Sam died, and his devotion to duty, to his ship . . it's no surprise to me that while Kirk sought out encounters with women, they were not deep or long lasting affairs - he would not allow anyone to get that close to him again.

If I wanted to sum up Jim Kirk I would use one of two quotes to capture the essence of the man . . .

'All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.' (Jim quoted Masefield in 'The Ultimate Computer' and 'The Final Frontier'.

Or, at the end of 'The Motion Picture' when Chief DiFalco asks him the heading they should take:

'Out there . . . thataway!'

babel
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 14:19

Quoting: llyssa
Is it too late to vote for Janeway? I thought she was a perfect mind-meld of all that was best in all the other captains...

Oh, dear, Llyssa, I musrt respectfully diaagree with you! I think she wa sa meld of all the worst qualities!

trekkymccoy
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 13:21

Majin, let's keep it Star Trek related and out of Comic books.

trekkymccoy
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 13:24

babel: You m,ake very good points. I've always been more of a kirk person myself. But I do like some of the crew of Picard's ship plus Q and Lore.

soka
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 15:38 · Edited by: soka

Quoting: babel
But I suppose it is no surprise that I should go for Jim.

... wait a sec, Babel prefers Kirk? He likes TOS even?
Next thing you'll tell us is that you actually like Dr. Who

Ok, back on topic ... if the question is Kirk or Picard I'm undecided ... I think they are both good captains, just different.
DSN used to by my favorite ST-series, but that's for more complex reasons I don't limit what series I like best to the captain.
Force me to make a decision and I'll say Shelby
Not Janeway for sure .. never really liked her.

But then I haven't really watched ST in ages - the movies at most for several years. Blame the TV stations for not showing DSN.

polson
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 16:38

I proclaim and defend Majin's right to post off topic!!

polson
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 16:39

Jeremy likes Dr. Who? Whatever. That's like saying I'm obsessed with Stargate. It's a passing fancy at best.

Shelby?????? Oh my lanta. I wanted to strangle her.

darth_balco
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 18:07

You know who's a good Captain? That guy who pilots the broken down airplane at for United Airlines, who currently resides in the dumpster.

soka
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 18:57

*lmao* I expected such a reaction. Even had aimed at it

And yes ... in TNG she was horrible. But I like her in New Frontier

polson
# Posted: 8 Jan 2009 20:21

I also hated, uh, crap, he was played by Ronny Cox. Chain of Command I and II. You guys know who I mean. *shakes angry fist*

soka
# Posted: 9 Jan 2009 11:05

lol you don't like good old Jellico?

trekkymccoy
# Posted: 14 Jan 2009 00:56

ALL RIGHT!! I am sorryto say that this forum is coming to a close. The wnner of the Kirk/Picard question is *drum roll* :

Captain America!!!
(mostly because I made people mad when I yelled at Majin not to get off topic.)

THat's all folks! I have enjoyed this very much and I will starting a new forum shortly. I would like for you all to comment on that one too!

Se you in OTF chatrooms,
~TRekky MCcoy

majin_fett
# Posted: 14 Jan 2009 01:17

Captain America always wins!

Except for when his girlfriend shoots him at point-blank range.

darth_balco
# Posted: 14 Jan 2009 03:19

Well that's what happens when she walks in on him and Wonder Woman doing the good deed.

jbeavis100
# Posted: 14 Jan 2009 15:59

Pic-A-Card Is My Choice He always was so distinguished

trekkymccoy
# Posted: 14 Jan 2009 22:09

But now, I guess I kinda like Kirk better. I mean, Picard is too indesrtuctable lookng and all.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.031
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0