. 1 . 2 . >>
lzrman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2009 19:59 · Edited by: lzrman

Yes
No

Post your answers.

david1
# Posted: 5 Jan 2009 20:01

abstain, i think its use should be monitered, as currently its just being abused by users.

lzrman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2009 20:02 · Edited by: lzrman

15 Minute Time Limit, After that It will auto log you in

shakeycat
# Posted: 5 Jan 2009 20:14

I think it's fine just the way it is. Spycam is part of the fun here.

majin_fett
# Posted: 5 Jan 2009 21:50

We're riding the spycam? How tall do you have to be?

lzrman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2009 23:34

above ----- line

kaela_donos
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 02:38

NO, Spycam is a usefull toll and adds to the appeal of outpost10f.

I wouldn't put in the effort to change it but

if anything more people should be able to see who is it in. something like, cl7s should be able to see who is in the spycam. and maybe cl8 could kick some one out of the spy cam or something like that. or maybe cl6 can see who is in the spycam at that moment, cl7s can see who was in the spycam though out earlyer in the day, and cl8s can remove people form the spycam

the bottom line is that spycam is a valuable tool, a few days ago i was in there because a lamer kept coming in and threatening people in the chat (in really nasty ways like i will rape your mom and that kind of thing), and i was able to remove that person from spycam. I wasn't interested in talking, i was busy doing other things, i didn't want people to expect me to answer them when they addressed me but using spycam i was still able to maintain that safer atmosphere we strive for.

lucient
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 05:24

getting rid of the spycam is an idiotic idea. the spycam was created for a reason - and although it isn't generally used for that reason anymore - it is still a necessary tool for the ISA. It makes it easier for them to do their job, so there is no reason what so ever for it to be gotten rid of

polson
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 05:47

Okay, I CAN actually see who is in the spycam, and to be honest, there's really not that many people using it, leastwise not the way folks tend to imagine. It's often completely empty, or occupied by people who are currently in the chat (I'm guilty of that) or it's by old timers who are just peeking in on the chat, they usually don't even know the patrons. Or it's just Al, logged in sixteen times.

As for me, I need it. When I'm swamped with OTF work, I can't always be chatting but I like to keep an eye on things. As one of the more active ISA people, I think I'd have a heart attack if it was gone.

polson
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 07:01

I am not opposed to making spycam access restricted to ISA and maybe CL8 +

david1
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 09:01

Question: why do users use the spycam and not the chatroom?

Answer: because they want to know whats going on but not the participate. i.e. be nosey.

I personally think the spycam is hated by so many because they've been here too long, and its started to make people feel insecure in the chatroom - whos watching me - type thing. It happens in real life, and you know what people protest, yet goverments wont get rid of their camera's.
One thing some do it make viewing those camera's freely available, and personally i think there should be somthing in between the spycam, and the chatroom, maybe a "window" which is text based (i.e. no images), mobile phone freindly, and all you can do is view say the last 10 posts.

soka
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 13:26

I'm not sure about getting rid of it entirely.
I suggested cutting down it's use, which then led to the suggestion of removing it entirely.

I do think it does have some use ... so it should remain there.
Make it accessible to less people as Polson suggested might work - and yes, I don't mind losing the access myself. I only use it for a few seconds each month (it says I use it more because I don't bother to log out sometimes, and the timeout-time has been increased)

And remind those people who do have access that if possible they should enter the chat instead of lurking there if it's possible.

While for regular use the last 10 posts would be enough, for ISA-use it would not necessarily.

skevington
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 15:35

This is a little bit of a ridiculous suggestion and it has been raised many times before. Restrict it to the ISA? Well I counter that by asking who IS in the ISA anymore? I know of only one person. So that doesn't really make much sense, right?

Some things should just be left alone. Sometimes people like me like to just pop in to the spycam to see who is about and to see what is going on if we don't have much time to chat. It's just part of the otf furniture. Everything else has been stripped away already, can we not leave something alone?

Dmitri

mezoti
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 16:53

As ISA director, I use the cam to keep track of who is in chat (especially when it's someone who has previously been shot out) and to keep tabs on who may or may not be a new recruit.

And I can see who is in the spycam. Guess what - barely anyone. Normally when I'm logged in no one else is. Or if they are it's someone who has since logged into chat.

polson
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 17:19

Or someone timing out.

soka
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 17:48

In that case I wonder why the moment an oldtimer pops in 5 people come in ... do they monitor the Personnel list? do they get a popup on their computer that person x has entered?

polson
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 19:26

I personally obsessively chck the Personnel list. Always has. I never spycam to see if anybody "good" is in, or if the conversation is fun or whatever. If I'm camming, it's usually because I can't come in.

osiris
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 19:46

If we remove the spycam, I demand that we remove the personnel list, and the "receive" button! I feel like people are watching me, and the receive button, lets people watch, without participating!

bria
# Posted: 6 Jan 2009 23:22

I've come across people who check the personnel list very frequently. Yes. Personally, I don't; I log into the spycam, check the list there, and then either log into the room or leave altogether.

I don't see the point of removing it. It's not going to make people login more. You'd be fighting a symptom, not alleviating the actual problem. Whatever that problem is. Personally I don't get it, but hey.

So, no, don't get rid of it.

babel
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 00:08

Little did i know that one little spark dropped casually into a forum would cause this debate.

jbeavis100
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 02:15

Nevar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lzrman
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 03:37

Quoting: polson

I am
Quoting: babel
little spark

Indeed.

lucient
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 04:54

Quoting: polson

maybe it's because I'm CL8 and it wouldn't affect me the same way it would most other people who have access to the spycam, but I would actually support the raising of the access level required to use it. the spycam is basically designed so that - when necessary - you can keep an eye on the chats without having to feel "involved" so I say leave it as part of OTF, and if anythign rasie it to CL7 or CL8

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 06:00

I'd be up for raising the access level.

skevington
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 12:04

Why is it that every time this place gets a little boring or people aren't coming in so much we think we can solve it by tweaking things like spycam access? It will ultimately make no difference. If you want to encourage more people to come in, leave the spycam alone and dedicate your brain power to more intelligent ways of boosting our frequent chatter base. I'm sure you can all come up with something.

Dmitri

darth_balco
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 16:31

Quoting: osiris

If we remove the spycam, I demand that we remove the personnel list, and the "receive" button! I feel like people are watching me, and the receive button, lets people watch, without participating!

Ya know, he's got a point. *nods*

polson
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 17:17

*pets Dmitri* It's okay, Lee. Good puppy! Good boy!

(I'd prefer we leave the spycam as is, simply because I actually know who's in it and it's not the crisis situation most people imagine.)

polson
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 17:17

Jeremy, if OTFers aren't debating, we're dead!

bria
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 17:22

I agree with--and I can't believe the words are coming out of me mouth--Captain... I mean, Lee.

Also, please don't take the spycam away from me. Wah.

skevington
# Posted: 7 Jan 2009 17:33

I don't know if it is intentional or not but I was actually making a serious point so I'd rather not be belittled.

Dmitri

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.028
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0