· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Enterprise
polson
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 06:22

This isn't to start a war or an argument or a debate (though I won't kick you out of my thread if you do those things). Rather I need some info for a comic I thought of.

Raise your hand if you hate Enterprise, especially Scott Bakula!

kaela_donos
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 07:28

i dont hate scott bakula, and the character had B- blood!

I just felt like a fanfic not the real thing

polson
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 08:04

I need volunteers who hate Bakula!

babel
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 09:44

Wasn't keen on him in Quantum Leap and he was worse in this.

So . .

*raises hand*

Enterprise sucked!

polson
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 11:04

I'm so happy to hear you say that Jeremy. You have no idea.

demonvamp
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 19:15

I didn't hate it in the beginning, but came to loathe it by the end. It was dull.

babel
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 22:32

Why, Pols?

polson
# Posted: 22 Feb 2009 23:46

Jeremy, because I had you in mind for the cartoon anyway but I couldn't remember your thoughts on Bakula. So now I get have my way with you, so to speak.

QD, do you have a photo or a description of yourself that I can use to create a cartoon version of you?

demonvamp
# Posted: 23 Feb 2009 18:11

Quoting: polson
QD, do you have a photo or a description of yourself that I can use to create a cartoon version of you?

I'm mostly hair, so think Cousin It *l*. Failing that, I'm just kinda tall with butt length wavy hair and specs. A demon tail is optional

babel
# Posted: 23 Feb 2009 18:49

Pols, I'm sure I'm overrated

christena
# Posted: 23 Feb 2009 22:48 · Edited by: christena

*raises hand too* it was trash

QD as cousin it? never thought of you that way*L*

but saying all this.. not for the cartoon.. but cause I hated the damn show

mezoti
# Posted: 24 Feb 2009 02:23

..i never get to be in cartoons

polson
# Posted: 24 Feb 2009 04:44

Okay, sold to Jeremy, QD and Cinna! *pounds desk* Now I can draw.

dierna
# Posted: 24 Feb 2009 23:19

Quoting: polson
Raise your hand if you hate Enterprise, especially Scott Bakula!

Hated Enterprise and hate that the new movie has a connection to it... Scott Bakula on the other hand I love to bits and I love his music. The only thing I really liked about Enterprise was the dog and in the new movie Scotty accidentally kills him in a transporter accident! WTF?!

codtsq
# Posted: 24 Aug 2009 10:32 · Edited by: codtsq

Why do people hate Enterprise?! What was wrong with it? I don't get it. It was my second favorite series. Scott Bakula is okay.
*doesn't raise hand*

babel
# Posted: 24 Aug 2009 18:12

Because it was

- a bad premise
- poorly casted
- poorly written
- had a weak Captain
- had little or no link to what made Trek great.

It just trashed what had gone before. You want to see how to reboot a franchise and keep the fans happy? 'Star Trek XI'. 'Enterprise' was an object lesson how not to achieve it. It was trite, boring rubbish.

codtsq
# Posted: 25 Aug 2009 02:20

Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I liked it, you didn't. All of the things you said were wrong with it, I think the opposite of. It was a great play-off of the other series' before it. The only bad thing was the last episode. Besides, how can you NOT like Beagles on starships? I loved the idea of it starting before everything was great with the Federation and showing it's roots. Granted the series' before Gene Roddenberry died were the best. They did a great job with it, but some people just can't appreciate hard work and good writing skills... Oh well. It's over. Wish it wasn't, but it is. Here's hoping they make another series, though for some reason I doubt they will.

babel
# Posted: 25 Aug 2009 05:54

Yeah, a Beagle being on the ship redeemed it from everything else.

Yep everyone is entitled to their opinion but the proof of the pudding is that both mainstream and fan opinion was very critical and if you liked Enterprise you were in a minority. By that test - and there is no other test for a TV series looking to be renewed - it failed. The new movie, fortunately, succeeded brilliantly.

quincyw
# Posted: 25 Aug 2009 09:46

Enterprise could only be enjoyed one way: Ignoring the fact that it's called "Star Trek" and is a science fiction show that very coincidentally has a lot of common themes and elements stolen from a show created by Gene Roddenberry.

dierna
# Posted: 25 Aug 2009 20:43

Geesh! What's with the Scott Bakula hate?! I love him...he's one of my fave actors, an awesome singer, he's hot....and he's done a playgirl spread...

Enterprise isn't my fave Star Trek series.... I only watched it mostly to drool over Bakula and to cheer on Porthos (I love Beagles).

babel
# Posted: 25 Aug 2009 21:47

Cos he's wooden and utterly lacking in charisma.

eagle
# Posted: 26 Aug 2009 03:27

Quoting: babel
*raises hand*

Enterprise sucked!

Well, I once was Babel's protege!

babel
# Posted: 26 Aug 2009 20:52

Quoting: eagle
Well, I once was Babel's protege!

That's quite a brush to be tarred with!

soka
# Posted: 28 Aug 2009 14:54

Enterprise is the one series I've got no opinion of. I've only ever watched 10 or so episodes - the first 10.
And I know that every new series takes at least 10 episodes to really get going, introduce characters, find it's style. So I don't bother judging it by those first few episodes.

I don't remember Bakula much, but I know I disliked this Vulcan woman, whatever here name was - reminded me far too much of 7of9, which I absolutely hate. Just there to draw male attention.

Yup, absolutely unimportant post - feel free to forget it even exists

cylume
# Posted: 22 Sep 2009 20:25

In general, I don't Believe that Enterprise was that bad. But... I also do think it had a lot of ideas, here and there, that were pretty bad, if not awkward.

First being that cheesy theme song! That theme song, alone, boldly went where no theme song probably should have gone. It didn't even have a space or science fiction feel to it. I know it irritated the hell out of a lot of people. But, in it's defense, I'm guessing it was purposely trying to focus your attention away from science and space, for a moment, and focus more on the emotional side of exploration. Like why we feel the need to explore and how we persevere and use technology to help us travel to seemingly impossible places. Which brings me to my next point about the shows intro, that fits in line with that idea.

I think I understand why they had the montage of ships and crafts, showing the history leading up to the Star Trek world, at the beginning of the show. To me it's like trying to say "Here is our world... Now here is Star Treks world. It's not so much different. Don't think of it like science fiction that has no basis in reality. Try to see that it's an eventuality that "We" as humans will travel to space. And not saying that a Star Trek world does exist out there... But if it did, here is a show about people trying to explore it, learn about other worlds and perhaps about our own humanity in the process.". I think It's trying very hard to point out that, yes, this is a prequel. It's looks a bit like Star Trek but, It must also look a bit unlike Star Trek as well. That alone makes the whole show uncomparable to notions of what people think "Star Trek" is or should be. No offense to people who feel that this show didn't seem like Star Trek... I really think that was a major point of the show and it's theme song/montage intro. I, personally, have to give Enterprise a lot of leeway in saying that it's Star Trek as well. But in the end, I nod my head and say "OK", and take it for what it's worth.

I don't want to nitpick too much about the casting and characters because, as Soka mentioned, it takes a while for the cast to get in the groove and really find themselves. Plus, I had no previous notion of what a Denobulan was supposed act like. So I'm guessing Phlox did a pretty decent job compared to the other alien races in the show. And to me, Jeffery Combs (Andorian Shran) is awesome in just about everything he does. (DS9's Weyoun, Brunt and various other films he's done. ) I think Scott Bakula did a fine job. He was captain of a starship but still had side about him that felt like old test pilots and Apollo astronauts with American can-do attitudes. It's hard for me to criticize Scott Bakula to much. For most people, I think you either love him or hate him. Which is a shame because if you hated him before Enterprise, you're feelings of him as Captain Jonathan Archer is already tainted, from the get go. I honestly had no idea who William Shatner, Patrick Stewert, Avery Brooks, or Kate Mulgrew were before I had seen them in Star Trek.

I think the dog Porthos was adorable, but really had no place being in the show that long. They were on a mission to save the world, on a fairly untested starship, with people getting killed and you couldn't drop off the dog to a family member or next of kin the next time you were back in port on Earth!? I don't know. That just doesn't sit well with me.

As far as the script and plot is concerned... I'm really not asking for too much In a Star Trek show. Granted there are going to be good ideas for an episode and bad, but I try to see the Star Trek universe as a whole and not judge it too much on some episodes that I might find boring or unappealing. I really just want to be entertained and have some of those thought provoking, morality challenging episodes thrown in there from time to time. (I really think they shouldn't have killed Tuvix in Voyager. But don't get me started on that. )

In all, I think it was a decent series. It might not have been the best one, but at least it was something to watch. I think it's a shame that it didn't get a couple of more seasons. If it did, at least I would have more reruns to watch whenever I need my Star Trek fix.

Arrghh! See what you did? You got me rambling about stuff.
So yeah... I guess I'm lowering my hand. I don't hate Enterprise.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.030
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0