· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Hey students, help a dude out?
jd
# Posted: 2 Mar 2009 20:44

I have a presentation due in a week, and I need interviews! If you would be so kind as you answer the following questions.

Do you currently feel safe with the current security setup on your campus?

What do you like/dislike about it?

Either post the results here or email them at JD@outpost10f.com. Thanks!

master_chief
# Posted: 2 Mar 2009 23:24

Well, actually I wonder what real security setup we have... I mean, we do have ID cards to get into dorms etc but the rest of the places like lecture halls or other places like dining halls are pretty much open for a spree of zombies to have their fun.

jd
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 00:21

Yeah, about the same here. Do you at least have patrolmen or security cameras in place?

mezoti
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 01:01

Too lazy to email you..

When I lived in the dorms the more "high tech" dorms had security systems/id tags to get in. Or you had to know someone there and they signed you in.

Where I lived? Nope! Good old fashion keys.. And people left the doors open most of the time.

On campus itself? We have a security staff.. But honestly, you never see them ON campus.. Just driving around writing parking tickets..

(I go to Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, for ze record.)

Anything else, Jamesth?

jd
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 03:37

That'll about do it, thankies Brandah.

ayanna
# Posted: 4 Mar 2009 08:47

No i don't feel safe with our current College security setup. We have what they call Public Safety who patrol the area, but it is rarely that you see them. There is no way to contact them if your in the parking lots and encounter trouble.

Lately we have had a string of thefts. Several Projectors, computer parts and other items have been getting stolen, specifically from Webb Hall. We currently have NO security camera set up, and no metal dectors or anything like that, anyone could walk on campus and have a gun on them and no-one be the wiser till it was too late. They keep claiming that they are in the process of upgrading the security system, but it is taking forever as the keep concentrating more on improving other things that could wait a bit (Like the most recent upgrade to the Field House.)

This link is the extent of Security information provided to us students.
http://www.lakeland.cc.il.us/publicsafety/index.ht m

So yeah Lake Land Collge desperately needs to work on it's Security issues. Oh they did just get text messaging system set up to inform students of emergencies on campus but it's not been working properly.

Hopes this shelps JD. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

polson
# Posted: 4 Mar 2009 17:31

When I attended college: security was laughable! Our campus had no security personnel whatsoever. There were constant break-ins and car thefts from our parking lot. We informed the local police, however our tiny town had no RCMP units in it and the volunteer fire department (primarily made up of our college students!) was the first response to 911 in the area. The RCMP would send a car out every couple of weeks to drive around but that was usesless. Also, the dorms were unlocked. You had the option of locking your room, however we were not provided with keys so if you did lock your room you had to fetch an RL to open your room for you. The dorm did have a time lock on it with a code for entry, however almost everyone proped the door open to get in after curfew (or snuck in through the furnace room) and half the dorm knew the code for the keypad anyway, so honestly that was useless.

However - theft amongst students was RARE. Our college was tiny and you knew everybody so it was kind of dumb to rip each other off. The only guy I knew about seriously did struggle with kleptomania and he had people helping him control that (when it proved he couldn't, he was asked to leave the school and he did).

Despite the security issues, I always felt safe on campus. I think it was because the school was so small and if there was a problem, I could always run two seconds to the next dorm over where there would be 90 boys waiting to beat the crap out of anyone who hurt me.

jd
# Posted: 5 Mar 2009 01:49

Thanks folks. If nothing else, you make me feel better about our security setup here. *l*

fat_man
# Posted: 7 Mar 2009 23:59

i almost got mugged on campus once at 8pm once, i laughed and wandered off. does that count?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.017
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0