· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / If anyone could help out...
jro
# Posted: 22 Mar 2009 23:06

I'm doing a project and I wanted to get a clip from one of the Star Trek series. If anyone knows of a good episode that talks about the 'utopia' that is Starfleet I would be really appreciative. Thanks.

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Mar 2009 01:24

Theres that one voyager episode where the crew's minds get taken over to believing they are going home through a worm hole. Or the one where kes saves the day from the people "who aren't really here"

polson
# Posted: 23 Mar 2009 12:39

Jro - are you trying to show what the future could look like for us as a society if we smarten up and fly right? Or are you just trying to show various utopian societies and what they might look like, and the inherant dangers (i.e. that episode, uh, Edo? You know, the 1st season episode of TNG where they go to the half naked people planet and they have no crime, when Wesley accidently steps on the grass or something and gets the death penalty).

If it's what the future could look like for us...well, that's a little harder - it's pretty much a general theme you can pull from any episode. I would suggest a clip from the movie First Contact where Riker, Troi and Geordi are explaining to Zephram Cochrane why they need him to complete his warp flight. Off the top of my head I can remember Troi mentioning that "it units humanity in a way never thought possible, war, disease, poverty, they'll all be gone in the next fifty years" or something like that. ("and you guys are all astronauts...on some kind of star trek!?")

jro
# Posted: 23 Mar 2009 18:14

I'm doing a project on Utopias, simply a small blurb on several types of utopias, one being a technological utopia like in Star Trek.

babel
# Posted: 24 Mar 2009 01:31

How about in 'First Contact' where Picard tells Lilly he doesn't get paid as no man wants for anything in the 24th century?

Or 'return to Tomorrow' in TOS, the speech round the conference table where Kirk says 'They used to say if man could fly, he'd have wings. But he did fly. He discovered he had to. Do you wish that the first Apollo mission hadn't reached the moon, or that we hadn't gone on to Mars, and then to the nearest star? That's like saying that you wished you still operated with scalpels and sewed your patients up with catgut like your great great great great grandfather used to. I'm in command. I could order this. But I'm not because Doctor McCoy is right in pointing out the enormous danger potential in any contact with life and intelligence as fantastically advanced as this. But I must point out that the possibilities, the potential for knowledge and advancement is equally great. Risk... Risk is our business. That's what this starship is all about. That's why we're aboard her.'

(Thanks to Memory Alpha for the quote!)

jro
# Posted: 24 Mar 2009 03:19

The First Contact quote is perfect as is the TNG episode Justice! Thanks alot guys!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.014
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0