· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Raymond Chandler
skevington
# Posted: 29 Mar 2009 23:27

Taken from the Updates Board:

"I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn’t care who knew it. I was everthing the well-dressed private detective ought to be."

Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep.

The Outpost10f Library remembers Raymond Chandler; who died fifty years ago this week. We remember Chandler for his massive impact on crime fiction; his work has become part of the literary furniture in the decades since his death. His literary style was second to none and in turn became the new literary standard for the genre.

He has been described as the "King of Simile" and we of course all know him for his witty one line phrases such as “It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window.”

His novels have been turned into oscan winning movies staring Humphery Bogart, Dick Powell, Robert Mitchum, James Garner and many others. They famously include The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye.

If you wish to share your thoughts on the novels and movies of Raymond Chandler then I encourage you to visit the forum post here to continue the discussion!

I remember the first time I watched a movie based on a Chandler novel. I was channel surfing and came across a black and white version of [i][/i] on television. It was the absolutely compelling use of language which made me stay and watch. And the books are even more compelling. Chandler paints a dark and gloomy view of the city but brings it to life. His characters meanwhile are larger than life; specifically i'm thinking of the unforgettable Phillip Marlowe. Possibly the most compelling literary character, ever, I have come across.

But then again I am just a massive crime fiction nerd... are there any other fans of Chandler? Please say I am not the only one!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.028
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0