· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Favorite Trek Character
trekkymccoy
# Posted: 6 Jun 2009 18:33

Yes, I know this is a rather elementary forum to open, but I still love hearing everyones responses. So: Who is your favorite Trek character (old, new, books, movies, or show) and WHY?

That last bit is very important. I want to know why!

PS: My favorite character is Lore, becasue he's an Android and i feel I can relate to him in many ways. (Oy, little siblings...)

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Jun 2009 10:17

Luke Skywalker!

Wait, that's Star Wars...

quincyw
# Posted: 7 Jun 2009 13:03

Lore is older than Data, not younger.

alane
# Posted: 7 Jun 2009 21:31

The Vulcan female in the first Star Trek movie...played by Kirsty Ally...one word....delious...

polson
# Posted: 8 Jun 2009 07:33

Someone asked me tonight who my favorite captain was and I replied, "Aaaaah...it kind of wavers..." He laughed and said, "that is so annoying, your DAD does the same thing!!!"

Anyway, I'm like that with Trek Characters. I can't just tell you who my favorite is. I like too many. Some you just can't compare. They're too different. So...here goes...

TOS:
McCoy, hands down. Nobody had 'tude like McCoy. You got the feeling he wasn't even in Starfleet, but that he'd just shown up and announced himself chief medical officer and there wasn't a damn thing anybody could do about it. Spock is smart - and a Vulcan smart ass. How do you not love that? Plus he's sexy. As for the TOS books, I actually fell in love with Chekov. He's just fantastic in the books. Smart, funny, seems to wander accidentally into the strangest situations and then acts bewildered. However - my favorite book character is Dr. Evan Wilson aka Tail-Kinker from Uhura's Song. Best book ever. Best character ever. I wish she was on the show.

The New Star Trek Movie:
Kirk. I had never found Kirk appealing before. But I was ROARING over him in the movie. Just brilliant during the eating-an-apple-don't-worry-about-it scene and especially the allergic reaction. And despite his desire to get with every girl who walked by, barely any of them would have him. Much more realistic and less annoying. Also - McCoy and Chekov tickled me pink.

TNG:
Picard. No contest. The dude is just a class act. Anybody with half a brain and a dumbell set can get into a fist fight. Picard could fight with words AND his fists, and he knew when to use one over the other. Plus he's sexy as hell. Now, when I was a kid I loved Worf and Crusher and Geordi. As an adult, I love Data. Data is just friggin' cool. He's logical, he's calculating, he's innocent. His curiocity, his humanity, for an android he was more human than half the human race. Data knew true sacrifice - it wasn't a question for him. There was no dilemma. Do the right thing. Always.

DS9:
Well, I got banned on DS9 fairly early on and didn't get to watch it again until the sixth season or so, which means I really missed out on a lot of character developement. To start with I liked Julian and Jadzia, I was just drawn to Jadzia's spunky attitude, and to Julian's sensitivity. When I tuned in later I actually came to like Sisko, or rather appreciate him more. It was "Far Beyond the Stars" that sold me. Although I think that was more Avery's acting than Sisko's character. Anyway, I like Ezri. She's cute, she's unsure, she's honest to a fault, she blurts out what she's thinking before thinking it through and she's got more strength than she realizes. And she talks too much. Blockbuster humanity right there - sometimes Trek characters seem too...unreal. Too perfect. Ezri was real. She rambled. Awkwardly. That's real life man.

VOY:
The Doctor. Loved him from the start, loved him more and more as the show progressed, love him even more now that I've met Bob Picardo. The Doctor was fantastic. He was hilarious, he was sarcastic, he was painfully self absorbed, and yet there was this fabulous compassionate streak that tended to cause him a lot of trouble. And he did SO many things that caused everybody trouble - I loved how human they made him, or rather allowed him to become. Again - it's that realness. You never saw people on TNG screw up like the Doctor did. Seven of Nine - how do you not love Seven of Nine? The character growth alone, man you could watch shows that focused on her only and never get bored. She brought so much dynamic to the show. (on that note, I also liked Icheb and I wish he had been given a larger role). But that of course brings us to Janeway - I think Janeway is kick ass. And it's between her and Picard for my favorite captain. Picard's my first love, but I can't help it - Janeway just makes me swell up with pride. She was so regal. And BOY did you get it if you pissed her off - if it came down to making any captain angry, I wouldn't want to be on HER bad side. She commanded respect. Love it.

stevennorton
# Posted: 8 Jun 2009 14:46

Quoting: alane
The Vulcan female in the first Star Trek movie...played by Kirsty Ally...one word....delious...

Lt. Saavak and yes... how far the fat actress has fallen (And that would be Star Trek II: Wrath of KHAAAAAAAAN, not TMP)

I shall, in the same form as PolsPols answers! (Just not as long winded)

TOS:
Doctor Leonard McCoy - DeForest Kelley plays the role of Bones soooo perfect. McCoy could put anyone in there place fast with his wit and his worldly knowledge.

New Movie:
Cadet James Kirk - I was never a huge fan of Shatner's Kirk in TOS though I did warm up to him durning a few of the movies. The new Kirk however, has a totally different life obviously and just his attitude toward life and how it changes in the movie with his very fast change of heart was amazing to watch (and have it well acted and timed)

TNG:
Early Seasons:
Captain Jean-Luc Picard - Captain Picard is the glue that held that ship together in the beginning. He was supported well, but that's just it, he was supported.

Later Seasons:
Ensign Ro Laren - Ensign Ro is probably my favorite character through out the Trek universe. Her constant battle of morals and loyalty, especially to the one man that trusted her enough to give her another chance. I really wish Michelle Forbes had accepted the deal to head to DS9 instead of sticking us with Kira.

DS9:
Chief Petty Officer Miles O'Brian - Miles post-TNG was the most developed character not to be an officer (with the exception of Yeoman Rand... or well... she was hot anyway) I loved his hobbies and trying to balance being a good friend to Julian and being a good husband to Kieko. Sisko places a distant second for me as I found him to be very boring untill the Dominion War really started to fire up.

VOY:
Voyager is so very hard to pick since most of the characters in my mind mirrored someone from a past brand. The supporting cast I think should win out for Voyager since it became increasingly hard to have a random redshirt beam down with Chakotay and Tuvok on away missions.
Characters like:
Ensign Sam Wildman, Ensign Vorick, Ensign Lyndsay Ballard, Former Ensign Marla Gilmore, Crewman Mortimer Harren, Ensign Marie Kaplan, Crewman Noah Lessing, Lieutenant Susan Nicoletti, Ensign Seska, Ensign Lon Suder, among others.
Lieutenant (JG) Tom Paris and his parallels to Ro Laren would probably be my favorite main character.

Enterprise:
Commander Charles Tucker - Trip just had that take it as it comes attitude along with the work ethic of Scotty that made him hard not to like.

polson
# Posted: 8 Jun 2009 15:40

Okay - Lyndsay Ballard was AWESOME...

And Lon Suder was the creepiest Betazoid EVER - who knew? Perfect actor to play him too...

whaddyamean longwinded? *punch*

babel
# Posted: 9 Jun 2009 05:56

James Tiberius Kirk.

Did anyone expect any different?

babel
# Posted: 9 Jun 2009 05:59

Characters from the other Treks:

TNG: Q.

DS9: O'Brien

VOY: Oh, god. If I have to pick one it's the Doctor. Except he isn't THE, or even Teh, Doctor, as we all know.

ENT: None. As far as I am concerned there were no good characters in that series.

stevennorton
# Posted: 9 Jun 2009 16:32

Quoting: polson
whaddyamean longwinded? *punch*

luvpunch right?

I loved Lyndsey, she was so fun, and actually made Kim interesting for an entire episode and that doesn't happen very often.

polson
# Posted: 9 Jun 2009 17:12

Steve, oh, it's true. It seemed to me that Voy had some awesome characters and some total duds. Kim was a dud.

freeman
# Posted: 9 Jun 2009 21:40

codtsq
# Posted: 24 Aug 2009 10:26 · Edited by: codtsq

My all around favorite is Q... or his son... Or both! Anyway...
ENT: Trip - hot with a great accent(almost Malcom).
TOS: Spock - hot with great logic(almost McCoy).
TNG: Data - just like the android persona thing(almost Wesley[Oh, the Travler was really cool too]).
DS9: Odo - shape-shifters are cool(almost Bashir[Jadzia was really close too]).
VOY: Chakotay - hot with a great background(almost Tuvok).

dierna
# Posted: 25 Aug 2009 20:34

TOS: Spock! I loves me some Vulcans....
New Star Trek: Spock! mmm... Zach Quinto.....
TNG: Picard....num!
DS9: Odo....Ren Auberjonois is one of my fave actors...he's also nummy
Voy: 7 of 9.... I just like the eps that dealt with her. *shrugs*
Ent: Porthos!....I just like Beagles....

rogersmith
# Posted: 1 Sep 2009 19:50

Tom Paris, Will Riker, and Kirk...They all taught me how to be a ladies man

mezoti
# Posted: 3 Sep 2009 03:04

Jadzia Dax. Jadzia was old, yet she had a freshness that Ezri missed. And she was Dax.

(Old man!)

bobasweat
# Posted: 23 Sep 2009 20:47

Spock, because he is the ultimate vulcan

digerati
# Posted: 11 Oct 2009 08:45

I like almost all of the characters. I used to be really happy whenever Q made an appearance. He was so funny.

The character I wished we saw more of was Odo. With the ability to take shape interested me.

daydraamor
# Posted: 15 Oct 2009 16:53

TOS: Spock and McCoy - what would kirk been without them? and even he knew that. he told them both in TMP that he needed them. how true was that!

I have always been fascinated by the Vulcan race. Extremely strong and intelligent yet they dedicate themselves to peace. Spock is by far my favorite Vulcan, mostly because of the struggles you see him go through in his life. I think my favorite scene with him is the one after the mind meld with V'ger. When he tells Kirk that he should have known (know that Kalinar wasn't not what his destiny) He takes Kirk's hand and explains that the simple feeling (of friendship) was beyond V'ger's understanding.

As for McCoy he is... well polson says it perfect "McCoy, hands down. Nobody had 'tude like McCoy. You got the feeling he wasn't even in Starfleet, but that he'd just shown up and announced himself chief medical officer and there wasn't a damn thing anybody could do about it." my favorite scene of McCoy's was from a book, Spock's World. I loved his Debate speech if you haven't read it you really should get this book and read it. Nothing beats this speech, I would have given anything to hear it from DeForest Kelly himself!

TNG: Data, Geordi, and Captin Picard

DS9: Quark

VOY: I liked Vorik (does anyone know who he was: hahah - blood fever was great! I wish he would have been on more episodes) I also liked the Dr.

ENT: I cant say that I have ever watched an episode. Im sure Ill get around to it but as of now I cant pick anyone

cowhunter
# Posted: 10 Jan 2010 01:18

TOS: Bones and Scotty
New Trek: Bones and Scotty
TNG: Geordi LaForge
DS9: Sisko and O'Brien
VOY: Kim and Paris
ENT: Blows

ayanna
# Posted: 10 Jan 2010 08:00

TOS: Scotty! (He kept the engine's rocking and kept the crew going)
New Trek: haven't watched it yet to decide.
TNG: William Riker and Deanna Troi (my two favorite actors) Though she didn't do as good in some of the movies in regards to acting especially Nemesis was very disappointed in that one. (My favorites just because of the odd romance situation between the two)
DS9: Worf! because just rocked.
VOy: Neelix: because he made the show so comical.
ENT: Hated Ent and never watched an episode again after the 1st episode.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0