· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / H1N1 Vacination
lzrman
# Posted: 28 Oct 2009 05:27

Just curious who is getting it and who is not?

Thoughts on the H1N1?

deboe
# Posted: 28 Oct 2009 13:08 · Edited by: deboe

not getting it. I haven't had the flu since i was around 7 years old and i rarely get more than the sniffles. I guess i just have a good immune system.

majin_fett
# Posted: 28 Oct 2009 22:06

H1N1 is overrated. Yes, I tend to get colds like clockwork, and I've occasionally gotten the flu, but I'm not really worried about swine flu. I'll probably catch it at some point, but the various friends of mine who have caught it easily survived.

mezoti
# Posted: 28 Oct 2009 23:21

>but the various friends of mine who have caught it easily survived.

But some people don't. That's why people are so scared. My cousin was in a drug induced coma for over two MONTHS. She lost her little girl during it. So anyone with a weakened immune system (or who is around someone with one) really SHOULD get it. Everyone else will probably be okay.

babel
# Posted: 29 Oct 2009 20:33

If you;re thinking of getting the tamiflu jab for it, forget it. It isn't effective against H1N1. A friend of mine is involved in the pharmacy trade and tells me that the company making tamiflu is doing very nicely out of it but it does not innoculate against H1N1. At best it would act as a placebo for that strain of flu.

harmony
# Posted: 31 Oct 2009 03:13

I'm all for people who are in an 'at risk' category to have the vaccination, and yes people have died. Not from the flu in most cases but because they had underlying health problems that the flu made worse.

If you look at the statistics of people that die from the normal flu compared to the swine flu, swine flu is only a tiny number of flu related deaths. In Australia for example, I saw a report a few days ago that stated on average per year over 2500 people die related to the 'normal' seasonal influenza. So far with swine flu it is less then 150.

It is true that more people are likely to catch H1N1, I think the WHO stated that they estimate around 40% of the population will catch it compared to just 10% with the seasonal influenza.

It amuses me to see the amount of panic that has gone on, and the campaigns that are telling people to stay at home if you think you might have it. Common sense that everyone should follow. But isolating people with it is silly, unless they are also going to isolate people with the normal flu.

If your worried about catching it, or are among the high risk population with weakened immune system I would say get the vaccine. I'm not planning on it

cutemacgyver
# Posted: 6 Nov 2009 11:03 · Edited by: cutemacgyver

I got the shot this wednesday, no bad side effects so far. My arm hurt a little but that was all.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 6 Nov 2009 17:00

they wont even let me have it, not that i was planing on getting it anyways. I was sick with something else two weeks ago, and i have a lingering cough from it, and yet my friends who got the swineflu are well and healthy now! Truth be told, I am i a little bitter! Even a nurse I know isn't bothering with it.

osiris
# Posted: 9 Nov 2009 00:08

Meh I've had it, and I still wouldn't have got the shot for it, there are other people who need it more than I do, and with the limited supplies it's better to go to someone with actual health problems. I will say this, it sucks. a whole lot, I felt like I was drowning for nearly a week and a half. and I'm still coughing from it

christena
# Posted: 11 Nov 2009 02:23

I work in the healthcare field and can get it if I want it.. but I am not getting it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.021
Online now: Guests - 9
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0