· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Mobile OTF
lzrman
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 04:03 · Edited by: lzrman

What would you say to being able to access various OTF Functions from your iPhone/iPod touch or any web enabled device?

- Access the 3 Chatrooms (Ten Forward, Cantina, Minas Tirith)
- Access the Personnel List
- Read the Departmental Updates in Text

What other options would you consider adding to a mobile OTF ?

Working Preview: http://www3.telus.net/lzrman/misc/mobileotf/

CL6 Lzrman

sectre
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 04:09

I think this is an oustanding idea! For the basic concept, this would be perfect for an OTF phone app.

lzrman
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 04:11

I think it would be easier to maintain a "mobile website" version of OTF rather then a physical application that you can download.

sectre
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 04:23

I wasn't sure which would be easier.

skevington
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 19:49

We don't have the people nor the time to really do this.

lzrman
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 23:30 · Edited by: lzrman

I was actually considering doing it =P myself

deboe
# Posted: 14 Nov 2009 23:44

all that stuff already works on iphone..

lzrman
# Posted: 15 Nov 2009 03:10

ya but its not a mobile friendly version of the site, when I try to spycam on my i-device the buttons are small u have to scroll over view the chat, scroll back over to hit your chatroom then scroll back over

skevington
# Posted: 15 Nov 2009 11:32

Then we just need to edit the CSS to make it more friendly for mobile browsers. I don't think we need to build a mobile otf website.

lzrman
# Posted: 15 Nov 2009 18:54

Should be easy enough to do, and would make OTF more marketable to those on the go.

Just a thought.

taurik
# Posted: 10 Feb 2010 05:57

Bump.

Seriously, why not try to make this happen? If someone wants to actually put forth the time to make it happen, let 'em. If it doesn't adversely effect normal chat operations, get it done.

lzrman
# Posted: 10 Feb 2010 06:38

Keith, thanks for your support. I was talking to Mat Rose and he said something about Android from Google in making sites mobile friendly in ways. I am going to research this to death through the Research and Design Team.

If anyone has ideas on what area's we should design in a mobile fashion, please say so.

Few areas I thought were the chatroom, and the spycam and the armory. The 3 core area's of OTF, and maybe even our forums.

david1
# Posted: 10 Feb 2010 08:02 · Edited by: david1

forusm would be too complicated for one simple reason - its full of text, and trying to shrink that down so it could be viewed pleasurably would not be easy, and tbh, wouldnt be any different then from the current version i.e. viewing it as it currently is in a mobile browser.

as for mobile version of the site, i personally think a simple home page for a mobile site would be ok, and for the chat so people can chat, maybe adding an extra line to the db, somthing like 'using_mobile' with a 0 or 1 option, which would enable or disable for instance graphics, i.e. avatars, also might give the user a "predefined" chattop which is less demanding on mobile browser.

you have to think of a mobile browser as dailup browser, as most people who dont live in cities wont be able to get the fast speeds of the 3g and forthcomming 4g networks lol.

theres quite a lot to think about to creating a mobile site for otf, if that ever became an option, would need some detailed research.

XZ

master_chief
# Posted: 10 Feb 2010 13:22

I actually like the idea. I could chat from my iphone

daecrist
# Posted: 10 Feb 2010 14:10 · Edited by: daecrist

Lzr, if you want to work a mockup as part of R&D then you have my blessing. No guarantee that we'll implement it, but a mobile friendly version of the site would be wonderful since I spend most of my online time on the iPhone these days anyways.

Great work thinking outside the box and all that. Keep it up!

Quoting: lzrman
If anyone has ideas on what area's we should design in a mobile fashion, please say so.

Few areas I thought were the chatroom, and the spycam and the armory. The 3 core area's of OTF, and maybe even our forums.

Also, if you want an idea of where to go with this I'd suggest trying out the mobile version of all of Google's stuff. That'll give you a good idea of how to design for mobile and design well. No frills and text only is the name of the game. I don't care about something looking pretty on a mobile site. I just care about getting at the information.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.021
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0