· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Timeout too short!!
bilbo
# Posted: 19 Nov 2009 21:00

Does anyone else think that the timeout in chat at 10 minutes is too short?
Sometimes when i log in i go to make a tea or I'm working on something.. when i get back its been over 10 minutes.. I think it puts people off from chatting when you can go away for 10mins and it just timeouts. I think we should look at increasing the timeout to at least 15 minutes and the max 30mins.

lzrman
# Posted: 19 Nov 2009 21:00

I agree!!! 15 Minutes

quincyw
# Posted: 20 Nov 2009 08:46

Disagree.

In a slow chat, you can simply log back in and everything is generally in the archive.

If it's a busy chat, if you're already gone ten minutes, it's not going to matter anyway, because you've already had the conversation and topics go past you.

Perhaps the question would be, for what reason would you want the timeout to be extended? Logging back in is as easy as refreshing the chat once you've timed out and you're back in straight away.

So is the only reason you want to extend the timeout so that you can have a higher monthly chat time? If that's the case, you still wouldn't beat the masters.

tycho
# Posted: 20 Nov 2009 08:57

I think 10 minutes is fairly ok.
If you actually know that you will be making a tea, why would you log in before?
Quincy has some good reasons there.
If there is conversation you're usually out of it as soon as you don't pay attention for just a few minutes, not even 10.

christena
# Posted: 20 Nov 2009 17:36

I think 10 mins is plenty enough time.

darth_balco
# Posted: 20 Nov 2009 19:24

Yeah! I can drive to the laundromat in my complex, getting my laundry going and get back in time to avoid timing out. Granted, speeding might be involved.

stardreamer
# Posted: 20 Nov 2009 21:36

10 minutes is an adequate amount of time. If you haven't transmitted or recieved anything in 10 minutes, you're not really into the conversation.

dierna
# Posted: 21 Nov 2009 14:39

10 min has worked perfectly fine for 12 years....no need to change it now.

mezoti
# Posted: 23 Nov 2009 01:39

I dunno about everyone else, but if I haven't posted/received anything in 10 minutes I obviously am not involved in the conversation.

bilbo
# Posted: 26 Nov 2009 07:51

ok then why dont we week it 10min then

aeon
# Posted: 26 Nov 2009 13:01

We have increased the spycam timeout before, so why not increase the chat timeout too? It won't hurt anyone to increase it to 15 minutes.

quincyw
# Posted: 27 Nov 2009 09:04

We can increase it, but the fundamental question that needs to be asked is, why should it be longer than ten minutes.

aeon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2009 18:53

Oh yeah, fundamental question indeed. Why is it 10 minutes? Why not 5? Why not 60?

See, it's pointless to argue here about the necessity. Like I said, the spycam timeout was increased too, and there was no debating about it, it was just done.

So, I don't see any problem with increasing the chat timeout to 15 minutes or even 20. It's a minor change that won't affect anybody, and if it helps a few - even better.

shakeycat
# Posted: 28 Nov 2009 09:09

Disagree.

I don't want my corpse hanging out any longer than 10 minutes if I forget to come back. And I have learned to shower in 10 minutes, thank you timeout.

skevington
# Posted: 28 Nov 2009 16:37

I believe 10 minutes has worked fine for a very long time. If someone can make a good case for it I am interested but nothing I have seen posted in this forum so far convinces me of the necessity of increasing the timeout limit.

If there are any concrete and legitimate reasons for doing so then we can consider it but I see nothing here which suggests that.

~ Dmitri

aeon
# Posted: 29 Nov 2009 01:43

And what would you consider a good reason?

david1
# Posted: 29 Nov 2009 20:21

I believe the timeout limit of 10 minutes is more then enough, as it ....
a: allows someone time to make a cup to tea
b: allows them time to make some toast
c: allows other users to know that your "in limbo"

make it longer, and people will start talking to themselfs..... not that they dont at the moment....

quincyw
# Posted: 30 Nov 2009 09:42

Okay, I'm going to totally reverse my position! Let's make the timeout fifteen minutes. No, wait, thirty! An hour!

No, wait. Let's remove the timeout completely! Here are the many, many good reasons we should!

One. We can do screenshots of the Personnel List and say voila, at any time of the day, Outpost10F has an active membership running into the dozens, maybe a hundred people on at any one time!

Two. We can look at the Personnel List and come into the chat because we urgently need to talk to someone, or simply catch up with them. So when they finally time out, we can then say "Oh well, I gave them an hour to respond to me. I guess they weren't there at all."

Three. It will increase traffic on our server, which would rate Outpost10F one of the most heavily trafficked sites on the internet (see One).

Four. It will encourage group events, such as mass camp-outs in 10F. It will encourage people to congregate and maybe have a very quiet singalong around the campfire, right before the automated security puts it out.

Five. I can easily go to class, down to the shops, have lunch/dinner, watch a movie and I can just hit receive without having to log back in. I saved myself two, three mouse clicks and typing in my Command Code.

Six. It makes Trivia and Simming so much easier, as we can now host Trivias/Sims where there are dozens of people in the chat at any one time! Imagine how many Silly Points we could hand out; or characters we could have participate in the Sim! Why, for Sims now, we can claim a cast of thousands and mean it!

Why didn't we think of this earlier?! Forget a ten minute timeout. Forget a fifteen minute timeout. Forget thirty minutes, or an hour.

Now join my rally cry, people!

Ban the timeout!

darth_balco
# Posted: 30 Nov 2009 17:59

I'm getting on this bandwagon! \o/

quincyw
# Posted: 30 Nov 2009 21:55

I also forgot the most important reason for removing the timeout.

Seven. I will no longer have sole stake to my Biggest Lurker title!

deboe
# Posted: 2 Dec 2009 14:50

pro tip:

tape your enter button down.

beetlescott
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 15:14 · Edited by: beetlescott

I love 10 Forward chat! I also have another chatroom for my car club. Plus, I keep an eye on some other discussion boards. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 widows open at once, as I'm sure most everyone else does. My problem with the 10 minutes, I can't get back before I time out! Yes, I can sign back in, but if I had a few more minutes, I could keep making my "rounds" to the other windows. Now, while I have been compiling this post, I have now timed out in chat! Now, being new to this discussion board, I prolly don't have the right to say anything, but I have been in chat for over a year. I don't mind whichever way you do it, but you asked "why" that is my answer! Respectfully, Scott

christena
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 04:48

Scott...You're a member of this community. You have every right to say what you did. So don't feel that way.

Cinna

majin_fett
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 06:40

I think we should also alter time, speed up the harvest, or teleport off this rock.

beetlescott
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 22:11

Why thank you Cinna!

ajcardall
# Posted: 21 Jan 2010 01:44

Quoting: majin_fett
I think we should also alter time, speed up the harvest, or teleport off this rock.

The single best comment in the entire thread, and THAT, dear friends, has been proven by science.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.027
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0