· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Marketing / lack of
david1
# Posted: 12 Mar 2010 09:58

What does otf do to advertise itself? to bring in new people?

Where does it advertise itself?

I have enough passion, and drive to help the site on other projects however, after a bit im now feeling im making shoes for a dead horse, and subsequently stopped, thats after everyone else had stopped.

What is the outpost doing to fill the site?

Id be willing to help with marketing, but i have no idea where to start (welll i have a little idea).

I know over the years the fresh blood membership has been falling, but its quite near the point (for myself) of no return, where investing time and effort in the website, is just going to complete waste.

daecrist
# Posted: 12 Mar 2010 18:22

The problem with direct marketing is that this site has always operated under the principle of working on donations so that we wouldn't have to put up advertising and other things. When I took over from A. Maxwell it was with the understanding that we would continue with donations for as long as possible and that we would never put up an advertisement.

That means that we don't have an advertising budget. Advertising for the Outpost has always been via word of mouth and search engine rankings. We usually have a little left over every year that could be put towards advertising, but it's such a small amount that the impact would be negligible.

As for the other part. Yes we had a bump in interest there. Wasn't the first time and I don't think it will be the last time. You have people coming in and getting excited about the Outpost again and coming up with all of these amazing plans that are going to save the place overnight.

Then the place doesn't turn around overnight. Those same people who were so gung ho lose interest after the initial euphoria has worn off, get busy with real life, or decide there are other hobbies they'd rather spend their time on.

I'll admit that I'm a little disheartened by it as well. For about 2-3 weeks there the chat was full and my inbox was cranking into overdrive to the point that my nose was buried in the 'ol iPhone. Then the mails started trickling in, then they stopped as people got distracted by other things. It's frustrating, to say the least, but I'm not megalomaniacal enough to presume to tell people what they should be doing with their free time.

So ultimately the decision on whether to stay or whether to go is up to you. I like OTF and plan on continuing to raise money for the place and make sure that it stays online for as long as possible. Iain likes OTF and continues to do Sysadmin work that would normally costs thousands of dollars a year for free. You just have to ask yourself how much you like the place and how much you're willing to do work for free as well. Everyone has a breaking point where a hobby turns into a job, and you have to find that sweet spot for yourself.

We can make changes to OTF and it might "go to waste" as you said. I like to think that any effort made towards a project that you enjoy isn't time wasted. I've "wasted" a lot of time myself over the years tinkering with various websites, but all of that "wasted" time has helped me to arrive at a sum total of experience and skills that I find very helpful today. Again, it's all about finding what you enjoy and making sure that your hobby doesn't become a chore.

A bit longwinded, but I hope that helps.

david1
# Posted: 13 Mar 2010 14:42

The problem with direct marketing is that this site has always operated under the principle of working on donations so that we wouldn't have to put up advertising and other things. When I took over from A. Maxwell it was with the understanding that we would continue with donations for as long as possible and that we would never put up an advertisement

What about free advertising? finding a site without a conflict of interest, and inquire to see if they wouldn't mind having a link to the site? or does this still apply to the no advertising?

Advertising for the Outpost has always been via word of mouth and search engine rankings

This is all good, however personally i dont feel they are working, word of mouth, who here does that anymore, in the past when star trek/star wars was bigger people use to chat about such things, and it would be easy to insert a "you know outpost10f is a great site for info on blah blah blah". How many people can say they can do that now-a-days? What has the site got now, its USP (unique selling point), that people can insert into a conversation and make the other person go "wow, i might take a look then"?

As for search engine rankings (on google), we're (checks) Number 1 for "Star Trek Chat", "star wars chat", and second for "lord of the rings chat". Ive tried numerous other phrases, like star wars forums, star trek forums, and they dont appear on the top 10 page of google results. If we have such good rankings in one area, and thats is not bringing anyone to the website, then maybe a re-asesment of the keywords are required? find what we have, and give google the words required for people to find it?

these amazing plans that are going to save the place overnight

The place doesnt need saving, its not falling off a cliff (i dont think, though I dont personally know what evil plans you have in mind for the physical server) it just needs some love, and a reason for people to come here and use it.

For about 2-3 weeks there the chat was full and my inbox was cranking into overdrive to the point that my nose was buried in the 'ol iPhone. Then the mails started trickling in, then they stopped as people got distracted by other things

LOL I know the feeling, you and Iain helped set up RandD, gave it some tools, then suddenly the group grinded to a halt. People just lost their energy and drive to work on anything. However I will still be working on those projects (alone i guess LOL) so they'll take longer, because I would like the experience of working with an open book, and they will benefit the site in the long run, I hope.

We can make changes to OTF and it might "go to waste" as you said. I like to think that any effort made towards a project that you enjoy isn't time wasted.

Very good point, made me realise the other side of the coin, nothing is ever wasted, everything is a learning experience.

You just have to ask yourself how much you like the place and how much you're willing to do work for free as well

I Have no issues with working for free, I know plenty of web coding languages and OTF is a great opportunity for continuous learning. I just hate coming to the site and being alone, with no one around, it feels haunted. Dont ask me how, it just does.

The only reason I Started this topic, is because I feel the website can be so much more then it is, and im quite passionate about outpost10f, and I feel there is a noose around its neck, and im trying to figure out what that noose.

ajcardall
# Posted: 14 Mar 2010 19:32

I am still around, but with work I don't have much time any more, and the time I do have is spent drinking.

Are you surprised?

I actually had a radical idea, Andrew, that I'm going to throw your way. Probably Tuesday on my day off.

david1
# Posted: 14 Mar 2010 20:23

Ive got a good idea, somthing ive just started working on today ....

but ill post it here,

Its radical, but basically entails Expanding the dossier significantly into a gerne based social website bit.

basics,
Image of self, Basic Info about Self, User input stuff (lots)
having a basic message system, and having a "how I feel today" bit on the top.

theres a bit other stuff, but its trail and error, and the idea will be to make them linked to the "ten forward" "ccc" "lotr" bit, and built around otf, but not to replicate facebook or myspace or any of them, it will be focused around outpost10f, and would really let for instance trekkies have a trekkie space where they can link with other trekkies, etc.

whatcha think?

mezoti
# Posted: 14 Mar 2010 22:33

Why don't you code something up XZ? That way we can see what you're speaking about..

david1
# Posted: 15 Mar 2010 09:22 · Edited by: david1

Quoting: Mezoti at 14 Mar 2010 22:33
Why don't you code something up XZ? That way we can see what you're speaking about..

*coughs*

Quoting: XZ at 14 Mar 2010 20:23
Ive got a good idea, somthing ive just started working on today

Allthough im working on the end result, as its easy to convert backwards for me to php or perl, and its quicker to see what the page actually needs.
XZ

mezoti
# Posted: 15 Mar 2010 16:00 · Edited by: mezoti

There's a difference between "working on" and coding and "working on" and brainstorming and you did not specify ;-)

david1
# Posted: 15 Mar 2010 22:21

But im retarded, and im sure my engliah language skills are legendary

david1
# Posted: 16 Mar 2010 12:41

I just realised i spelt english wrong LOL

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.036
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0