· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Update the chatroom
david1
# Posted: 7 Apr 2010 11:29

This is to help the new people to the website.
As its getting frustrating the amount of entrances we get followed by a timeout cause they don't realize to click receive!!!!

add something similar to this code...

If(user level == cl1)
{
//shows a message just below the alert status
//this would be something like...
echo "<font size=BIG>To Recieve messages you have to click on the recieve button. To Remove this message please <a href=LINKY>sign up</a></font>";

}
else
{
//removes the message
}

skevington
# Posted: 7 Apr 2010 22:41

I think this is a good idea. I will email the execs mailing list with the link to this forum to ensure they see it.

richard_smith
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 00:19

Great Idea!

lzrman
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 01:49

Do it!

ajcardall
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 06:10

David ftw. It's why I love him.

hobbie
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 07:18

I do have some doubts about this. In theory, it's a good idea, but in addition to helping the new guys, it will also potentially annoy the registered users who don't want to log in with their command code.

All things considered, such a move would send the message that we want people to use their account at all times. I don't think that adding constraints, as minor as they may be, is the way to go.

Besides, between the help button and the page displayed when people log in and before they press receive, newbies should be able to figure out how it works.

david1
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 08:08

There is away around this, but it would come under a project =).
simple quick addition of "Civilian Login" to hide user.

I can understand why people would want to hide their identity, but at the same time not be annoyed =).

david1
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 08:35

In fact, *coughs* would you want it as a ranked attained thing?

e.g. be cl4 to be allowed to use hidden identity login?

just a random throw at the glass *l*

david1
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 09:09

Quoting: hobbie
Besides, between the help button and the page displayed when people log in and before they press receive, newbies should be able to figure out how it works.

That is true, however people come in the chat expecting it to work like "other" chats and update automatically. a lot dont realise its not an automatic chat, and just feel theyre being ignored to high heaven *l*

tycho
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 16:49

I have actually seen a lot of people who failed reading that and where like "oooh now I understand" when they were told how it works... or they just timed out and never came back

Make it visible, but not too distracting for those who want to hide their identity for whatever reason they want to do it.

david1
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 18:53

well there is loads of different ways to do that, server end, cookie end etc, to make it less intrusive lol.

tycho
# Posted: 8 Apr 2010 20:45

Indeed, just come up with something good and let some mail it to the exec or something.

david1
# Posted: 9 Apr 2010 07:34 · Edited by: david1

It is somthing good *bonk* ...

Well
A: we could integrate it in the consolidation project .
It would work entirely via a "Hide account" option, like there is a Show dossier option have an extra one very simple.

B: A cookie with say a 7 day timer, after which as long as the user doesn't wipe out their cookies, the message wont appear again.

C: server side is complicated, as it would mean writing an algorithm, but not to catch the "new" people but to "catch" the people who consistently enter the room without user/pass. This would seriously over complicate something trivial.

D:

anyway
Make it visible, but not too distracting for those who want to hide their identity for whatever reason they want to do it.

If they "choose" to enter the chat room without user/pass then surely they accept the consequences of doing so? i.e. being told to sign up.
As, if you visit any site with a userbase, they nearly all bombard "anonymous/guests" to sign up. LOL

We cant bow to people who have malicious intent! *l*

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0