· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / OTF Simming!!
. 1 . 2 . >>
tim_farris
# Posted: 31 May 2010 23:00

I want to run a quick poll with the members!

If OTF was to reopen the Simming department and use a more simplified way of simming (Instead of using the chat) called SMS. (The way star trek RPG'rs write and tell stories) who all would be interested in becoming writers, and writing on a weekly basis? If you have any questions or any ideas shoot my self or AJ a message.

We are planning on at first either running star trek for two weeks then star wars for the remaining two weeks. Possibly doing lotr or fantasy once a month. Until it picks up, if it picks up we can do them each one week at a time. But this is just an idea and not sit in stone. I want to collect every ones thoughts on this before we set it into motion.

We will also need a sim team put together. So if you have ideas like to write or just want to write. Keep this in mind and check back often for the application link.

This idea is to get people interested in simming and role playing once again, and to bring chatters to OTF and writters to OTF. It will also free up the chat unlike the simming of the past the chat room (Ten Forward Cantina Rotaran, D'deridex) would not be congested and would remain open to chatters.

Thank you Tim,

kerr
# Posted: 31 May 2010 23:19

If you planning on utilizing SMS (Simm Management System) then we would need a webmaster. The system would be hard to switch universes every other week. I would suggest PbBB(Play by Bulletin Board) instead or PbEM(Play by Email), even if it would be slower.

That being said, count me in. It would easy to teach people how to simm, and we welcome experienced simmers and new ones alike!

T.O'Connell
Lieutenant
OTF Simming Team member

digerati
# Posted: 31 May 2010 23:41

I want to be part of this team.

tim_farris
# Posted: 31 May 2010 23:46

I do not wish to be part of pbBB. I hate using forums, I hate typing in this forum at the moment. SMS will work fine. at the end of the two week period we will end the current mission (be it trek or wars) then start a new mission in the next universe. once that period is done we will switch back to trek and put part II or III or what ever number behind it.

I just really hate forums. and play by e-mail

ajcardall
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 00:05

Digerati, I will add you onto the roster tomorrow for simming!

digerati
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 00:26

Thank you AJ

tim_farris
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 02:48

So when do you think we will hear back on this AJ?

ayanna
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 03:12 · Edited by: ayanna

I'm not a big fan of SMS but i do like pbBB however i don't know of anyone that does Play by email anymore as it's so much harder to keep up with. forum ones are good because then you can post when it's convenient for you. I currently do simming at Section 47 and LOVE the way they have it set up. I would be willing to help with a forum based simming group if we ended up doing that route.

Also i happen to know that Section 47 is in a dilemma themselves with roleplaying so it's not just one plac ein particular where people are losing interest in it. Perhaps if it was okayed we could work with them on getting some sort of thing worked together to help out not only Roleplaying here, but there as well. Just a thought perhaps and could be a possibility in such that could draw in more members from their site too.

kerr
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 05:33

I know a few people in PbEM, PbBB simms; countless in SMS/Nova.

Would OTF be willing to host SMS, and someone here be willing to be the webmaster? (I already have my own simm to update )

ajcardall
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 08:36

Give me a few days to a week to get in touch with people and we'll let you know

david1
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 09:04 · Edited by: david1

Kerr - > Is your a startrek sim? or star wars?

As for using SMS, thats sounds like a good plan, allthough we would need the rights to edit it and such to integrate it into OTF, would that be allowed?

If not it might be easier to build a otf one from scratch =)

Scratch -> If ya need a webmaster Id be willing, however This would need to be discussed with ISA as they may wish to appoint someone from that department.

david1
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 09:09

SMS is effectivly Phbb without the crap. LOL. Its actually a smooth and efficient way to sim with freinds.

However, and im speaking for myself and not the team yet, but id like to think we'd be hapy to try out numerous different approaches, to find a simming enviroment which OTF patrons love the best.

And im a simmer myself I might add, a clumsy engineer =). Allthough Ive not simmed in a while, but im fully aware of all the hurdles.

tim_farris
# Posted: 1 Jun 2010 20:46

I think we have a little team put together AJ

quincyw
# Posted: 2 Jun 2010 10:49

Right, then.

I have, in fact, broken my own self imposed exile from 10F to post this message, then I shall head back into the murky depths.

First, I shall need to say something.

Don't get your hopes up too high.

Second, I'm going to give a speech. More like an Old Man Rant.

I joined Slimming back in oh... 2001. A very, very, very long time ago. May even have been before that, because for some odd reason, I recall being promoted to CL5 on the first of January. But I digress.

I took Simming back in the heyday, predating Facebook and Myspace. When Skype didn't even exist, MSN barely so and most people only ever used ICQ. 10Fv2 hadn't even existed yet, nor did these forums, only a Public Updates Board.

Mike Bremer's Bravo Fleet was it as far as Trek RPs go and everyone else was a tame imitation. I'm sure they're still around somewhere.

And, of course, years go by, times change. But through it all, I was a "member" of 10F for all these years. Sometimes lurking in the background and not on the roster, but I was there.

Eventually, of course, I got to run the show. And yes, you don't need to point this out, as I'm going to have to say it now: I disbanded Simming.

Yes, that's right. I disbanded Simming. Why? Because I didn't see any point in continuing onwards.

I had a very wonderful staff who gave everything they had. I saw sims that brought in three, four people. Forum sims that lay idle as the key input of one person halted storylines. Then, of course, after we cut them loose, they come back screaming at the injustice of it. Go figure. And this also happened to one of my team members, but that's another story altogether.

I was advertising, throwing sims out at the masses when we really did boast a much larger active population and Star Trek (and Wars and LOTR) was still generally "cool" and we could expect quite a few new people to enter the Outpost. I ran Simming at a time when we could still draw upon a core of veterans, not just in 10F terms, but also in terms of simming expertise.

Eventually, I learned better. Yes, you can go to all that effort and I'll tell you right now what you'll end up with.

1: Horrible time zones. My one piece of good advice (yes, I'll give that once in a while) would be to plonk your chat based sim right before/after the Trivia. Whether or not anyone shows is another issue.

2a: You run a forum sim. All fine and good. Problem is, most people are going to drift away. And you'd better have a very fine person running the thing in the first place.

To this, I shall add in my second piece of good advice. I vouch for T. O'Connell if you ever run a Trek sim. Literate, brilliant, grammatical (you'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes) and a very capable CO. One of the best I've ever seen; and I don't really give out glowing praise very often.

2b: Have some mechanism of dealing with "missing" players. That is, if said missing players don't cripple your ship by not being there enough to keep the storyline going...

3: One of the initiatives I had going was a Sim Academy. Most every serious sim these days has an Academy of sorts, training everyone up to a minimum level. But I see this as "higher level", where we turn good into brilliant, where a player goes from say, 70% quality up to 90% quality. It would be a way of building up credibility, as well as a stronger player base.

I kind of lost my story there. Point is, you could do it. But you'll find yourself frustrated at the people who don't show up and generally lose interest.

I need only point to the rest of the forums or the login records. How many people show up, participate and then stay longer?

Don't get your hopes up too high. Trust me, I've been there and I've never figured out how to break the cycle. And not from lack of trying. I speak from experience. Both as a minion, a player and Simming Team Leader.

With that, there's my input and now I shall go back to the murky depths once more.

tim_farris
# Posted: 2 Jun 2010 19:13

I would still like to try and boost it up T.O. And I have spoken simming multiple times in otf. I know what she is capable of and I think we could keep it running I have had to deal with in actives in the past.

tycho
# Posted: 2 Jun 2010 21:15

Quincy certainly has his reasons to say so, but try it.
Go for it and surprise us with the success

ayanna
# Posted: 3 Jun 2010 03:11

As i have a lot of simming skills i would certainly be willing to help getting things kicked off. i've been told i'm good with marketing websites too, though i'm not so sure *L*

tim_farris
# Posted: 3 Jun 2010 06:46

well cool im going to tell my fellow simmers about OTF and see how many would be willing to join. Every ones bored at one point and time in there day and need someone to talk to on similar issues so im sure they will at least try it out.

tim_farris
# Posted: 4 Jun 2010 04:04

I could not find a application for the simming dept hope i was just looking in the wrong spot any one have any pointers?

tim_farris
# Posted: 4 Jun 2010 06:14

I actually found it never mind. lol

Can we get one last roll call on who all is still active sim member?

Once we get the roll call we need to do a major redress of the simming site/page.

david1
# Posted: 4 Jun 2010 09:00

Quoting: tim_farris
Once we get the roll call we need to do a major redress of the simming site/page.

Dont worry about that

Can we get one last roll call on who all is still active sim member?

Due to simming being dead at otf for so long, I would assume its going to be you lot on the simming team for now. I wouldnt mind sticking my shirt in as a red shirt guy just temporarily.

You might have to do a "romour" compaign to get people interested before we launch, just to help generate interest?

I could not find a application for the simming dept hope i was just looking in the wrong spot any one have any pointers?

Generally looking on the blue report, or in the updates is your best bet

tim_farris
# Posted: 5 Jun 2010 03:09

Ok, Well I think I speak for every one on this board when I say. Lets do the damn thing. lol

alexramirez
# Posted: 8 Jun 2010 04:08

I'm interested in simming as well, all I know is I'm coming also from the STSF sim area, so let's get to getting!

ajcardall
# Posted: 8 Jun 2010 08:59

Alexramirez,

If you want to get involved, please feel free to speak to CL7 Richard Smith mentioning your interest and we'll hopefully be able to get something worked out for you! His email address is phoenixtriviarichard @ gmail.com (without the spaces, obviously!)

david1
# Posted: 8 Jun 2010 10:25

Or use this clever post, without the spaces:- phoenixtriviarichard@gmail.com

david1
# Posted: 9 Jun 2010 15:31

OMG WTF OTF HAZ SIMMING BACK OLOLO

tim_farris
# Posted: 10 Jun 2010 03:11

what

ajcardall
# Posted: 10 Jun 2010 10:09

I think he meant to say he have the simm site now set up, and it can be found at:

OTF Simming

Enlist today!

david1
# Posted: 10 Jun 2010 10:30

Its an inward joke ... for somthing ...

If you havent spotted

OTF Sms imming is now on the first page in google searches, In some countires its the top #1 serch returned

tim_farris
# Posted: 10 Jun 2010 22:16

Really thats awesome. OTF SIMMING IS BACK YAY!!!!!!!!!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.047
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0