· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Real-time chat
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
mezoti
# Posted: 15 Jun 2010 23:11

I'm afraid, Kaela, that it's very unclear what your real argument is other than having a separate beta chatroom which, as stated, is not the way we decided to go.

Leaders have to make decisions sometimes. It's what leadership is about. Designing a chatroom can not be by committee - every person would pull in different directions and eventually nothing would get done. That's why governments have leaders and that's why OTF has leaders -- Iain, HAL, and now AJ.

And, for the record, I have no position in OTF. I'm not in leadership, I'm not in ISA, I'm not even a member of a team. I'm just a person who has devoted years of her life to this site. I got married because of this site. I moved countries because of this site. My cat moved countries because of this site. I hold it very dear. I think we all hold OTF very dear and I think we need to remember that before getting angry with one another. Even if we aren't friends (I don't claim to be friends with everyone here) we all still care about the same thing.

I also think we need to thank HAL for making sure that we have enough money each year to keep OTF afloat and for taking the financial burden unto himself several times when donations have fallen short.

daecrist
# Posted: 16 Jun 2010 01:05

Quoting: mezoti
I also think we need to thank HAL for making sure that we have enough money each year to keep OTF afloat and for taking the financial burden unto himself several times when donations have fallen short.

Thankfully we've remained solvent ever since that first year when a bit of shortfall had to be made up. Since then the most I've had to do is float the $700 bill for a week or so while waiting for Paypal to catch up. Explaining to the missuz why we needed to use nearly a thousand of our savings was a fun one that one time.

lzrman
# Posted: 16 Jun 2010 03:21

Quoting: daecrist
Explaining to the missuz why we needed to use nearly a thousand of our savings was a fun one that one time.

I bet she forgave you, for the things you care the most for.

deboe
# Posted: 16 Jun 2010 05:19 · Edited by: deboe

As i see it, what's in the past is in the past and we can't change it, so there's no use in complaining that there was not a beta test.

No one likes change. According to Scott Adams(of Dilbert fame), "Change makes us stupider, relatively speaking." You'll never be able to properly implement a system that pleases everybody.

But there is a reasonable complaint in that it makes Kaela sea sick. She is probably not the only one that this affects. This means that the live-testing is working!

The more reasonable complaints/issues/suggestions that are posted on this forum, the more the system can be improved.

david1
# Posted: 16 Jun 2010 11:25 · Edited by: david1

Quoting: david1
Hard decisions have to be made in times like these, and Id like to Pat the executive, Iain and Hal on the back for this, as I think this is the right decision, regardless of the negative feedback comming from some quarters.

I just thought Id repeat what I said.

Some people are starting to take this way to far on emails and msn. From quite a number of discussion ive had, and in all honesty, these people are ending up on the blocked list.

Quoting: random
Why change is necessary

Running a business is undoubtedly tiring; managing the day to day events, ordering stock, dealing with staffing issues can all take copious amounts of time and effort.

However, these activities merely help the business to stand still in its present day position; they do not drive the business forward. People buy products, services or ideas for different reasons and these reasons are extensibly driven by marketing and advertising. If your organisation is not able to provide the next new 'best thing' or staff are stuck in rigid, inflexible thought processes and are unable to respond to buyers' strategies, then your organisation's reputation may start to dwindle.

I know its for retail but the model applys to everyting.

tim_farris
# Posted: 17 Jun 2010 03:31

I think we should keep OTF the way it is the nostalgia look. I like the feeling of the early to mid 90's feel

lzrman
# Posted: 17 Jun 2010 04:51 · Edited by: lzrman

With the Fading Part = When a user selects text to copy it fades, is there a way to make it not fade when 2 or more characters are selected from a post.

Also when you click the dossier/website/blog/promotion icon it fades too! When you probably don't want it to.

Lzrman

shakeycat
# Posted: 17 Jun 2010 18:11

Or perhaps, it doesn't fade until the second click?

iain
# Posted: 17 Jun 2010 21:20

Quoting: shakeycat
Or perhaps, it doesn't fade until the second click?

Good idea! Done.

Quoting: lzrman
Also when you click the dossier/website/blog/promotion icon it fades too! When you probably don't want it to.

Thanks! Also done. Fading will ignore clicks on links / dossiers / etc.

Thanks guys.

david1
# Posted: 20 Jun 2010 11:03

I blame you, I was just on facebook, and there was an update I didnt like, and I tried to click it to get it to fade away.

An idea, wouldnt it be nice to shove a new message thing on the tab/browser top (if browser supports easy to detect with jquery).
for example ... normal "Lord of the Rings Chat...." ... and on new message event "(New Message) Lord of the Rings Chat...."

or even have it flash the browser like facebook does on reciept of a new message!

ajcardall
# Posted: 20 Jun 2010 11:33

Hmmm... but during busy times, the browser would flash non-stop, and I'd want to smash it with a hammer

david1
# Posted: 20 Jun 2010 14:21

Quoting: ajcardall
Hmmm... but during busy times, the browser would flash non-stop, and I'd want to smash it with a hammer

No it would only flash "new message" if the broswer/tab wasnt in focus.

ajcardall
# Posted: 20 Jun 2010 17:27

Aye, so if I'm on MSN it's going to flash? I'd not want that personally It'd bug me

david1
# Posted: 20 Jun 2010 20:56

Well it doesnt have to flash... it could just put "new message" in the title so it shows on a tab or such

david1
# Posted: 22 Jun 2010 14:36

Iain, idea,

Add sheilds (if active) back to top of chat, so people are aware theyre active

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 06:12

+P ooo oversite on that one!

iain
# Posted: 23 Jun 2010 16:22

Well it doesnt have to flash... it could just put "new message" in the title so it shows on a tab or such

Hmm... maybe, maybe. Watch this space!

Add sheilds (if active) back to top of chat, so people are aware theyre active

Indeed!

Quoting: lzrman
+P ooo oversite on that one!

Not an oversight - a low-priority feature that has been on the to-do list from the start.

lzrman
# Posted: 27 Jun 2010 05:06

Ayanna <testI have minions in R&D and Comm

I posted that and it ate my text up to "and comm"

kaela_donos
# Posted: 27 Jun 2010 05:12

i still cant use the chat because of the shutter effect when it refreshes.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 28 Jun 2010 07:59 · Edited by: kaela_donos

seriously, i CAN NOT use it, i WANT to use it but CAN NOT because it shutters, and scooling down just means when i scroll up again it TWICE as worse, could you make it appear or blink on or scroll back on one at a time or something, or appear not roll on! again, been here 9 years, and now i have to leave because it makes me sea sick, that is not fair, not cool at all!!! but you know minor complaint that i cant use the site anymore!

and why cant i delete my last post?? i see a spelling mistake or want to un do a redudentancy

and AJ not helpful

ajcardall
# Posted: 28 Jun 2010 14:20

and why cant i delete my last post???????????????????

Because you're not a moderator?

christena
# Posted: 29 Jun 2010 02:49

You should be able to delete your own posts or edit them without being a moderator. You used to be able to.

ajcardall
# Posted: 29 Jun 2010 09:54

You can on some, it seems.

Example, I can "Edit" and "Delete" my previous, but after checking my other replies, I can't do it to other posts.

david1
# Posted: 29 Jun 2010 10:21

There is a time limit for editing/removing a post. Not sure what the timeout is set at. Unless its some other system, Iain can enlighten us on, as im not 100% with these lite forum setups XD

iain
# Posted: 29 Jun 2010 10:34

There is a time limit for editing/removing a post. Not sure what the timeout is set at.

Bingo - spot on, David! I set the limit to one day. (It's been set to one day for the past three years.)

lzrman
# Posted: 2 Jul 2010 06:06

BUG!!

Post a image or a link without a target, you cannot recieve new posts!!!! and you are stuck on that img or link unless u hit the "back" button.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 6 Jul 2010 05:33

you can delete all my old post or whatever, but i would still like to go into the chat room and i can't untill the shutter problem is fixed.

david1
# Posted: 6 Jul 2010 11:12

there isnt a shutter though, its a slideing effect.

christena
# Posted: 8 Jul 2010 00:18

regardless of what it is.. it makes her physically ill from seeing it. Not in a "I'ma throw a fit and whine about it" but legitimately sick. Can this be addressed?

korny
# Posted: 9 Jul 2010 06:20

I just wonder, has this had an effect on others?

It's unfortunate, but terribly fascinating.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.028
Online now: Guests - 7
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0