· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Chat Time
david1
# Posted: 2 Aug 2010 10:50

Hello Thar

Question i was asked on bnt, and im throwing it here for discussion:

Theyre asking if time spent in the game would count towards monthly promos. (to attain cl4, and possibly higher for those working for the site)

And considering the recent update with the chatroom nullifying chat time anyway, just thought id throw it out there, and see what solution there is.

Thanks
David

demonvamp
# Posted: 2 Aug 2010 21:03

Chat time was part of promotions, yes, but mostly it was down to contributing toward the site. Playing BNT doesn't do that, beyond generating traffic, surely?

So I'd guess no.

david1
# Posted: 2 Aug 2010 21:30

i did say "to attain cl4"

However the point being made is sitting in the chatroom doing nothing gets you to cl4. So why cant actually playing a game on the server do the same?

quincyw
# Posted: 2 Aug 2010 23:26 · Edited by: quincyw

You're missing the whole point here.

Sitting in the chatroom means you're contributing by discussion, or contributing new viewpoints and ideas. Participating in Sims and Trivias. It's giving back to the Outpost what you get from it. Friendship, a place to hang out and all that.

It's one of the reasons why we created say, the CL2 with Honours award, to recognise that some newbies really do help out a whole lot. After that, we have Departments so you could contribute even more.

If you're that desperate to gain players, advertise on Google or something.

ajcardall
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 09:32 · Edited by: ajcardall

You're missing the point.

It's not about "gaining players" at all, and I'm curious where you derived that conclusion from.

David's point is really quite simple: the players who play on BNT a lot, but chat less often, shouldn't their BNT time be taken into consideration for junior level promotions? Considering BNT is another 'selling point', so to speak, those who are constantly playing, providing the game with extra activity and may have registered with us primarily for BNT... they are still part of our community, contributing to our community (granted, not in the "main" way) and enhancing the community. Why should the community not say "Thanks, guys" and stick them a CL3/4 rank?

david1
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 09:34

Quoting: david1
sitting in the chatroom doing nothing

did i not say!?!

Also the users are happy to participate is trivias and events on the websites , if there are any lol.

And regardless ive got 4 noobs who say they dont really have time to go into the "chatroom" as its "not their thing" and yet they're beta testing, bug hunting, basically working. That is contributing. And with the "minumin" hours in the "chat room" in place, theyre never going to get promoted for "contributing" to the site???

Quoting: quincyw
If you're that desperate to gain players, advertise on Google or something.

not desperate, the game will take care of itself, im not advertizing it much atm because we're running the classic version, and i dont want any pro blacknova "breakers" to come and spoil the fun for other users!

iain
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 10:32

Quoting: ajcardall

David's point is really quite simple: the players who play on BNT a lot, but chat less often, shouldn't their BNT time be taken into consideration for junior level promotions?

This seems quite reasonable to me. I'm bouncing it off the other execs just now; I'll get back to you.

quincyw
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 10:35

Alright. Let's discuss this topic properly, then.

We'll start with the very title of this topic, shall we? Chat Time. Little bit of bold and underline to add some emphasis.

When I first came to the Outpost, I had it described as being a Star Trek chat that was a lot of fun, with ranks, priveliges, a bar (for ordering items) and an armory and more.

Fundamentally, after what, thirteen years or so, 10F is still a chat.

Ah, but what about Sims and Trivias, you ask? The majority still take place as part of the chat.

Ah, but what about the Forums, or the Library, or the Poetry Guild, or the Artists Guild (etc)? Sure, they're not directly part of the chat, but they count for little more than a sidestop for the chat, to break the monotony.

Would this also not apply to BNT? A sidestop from the chat, to break the monotony?

10F is a chatroom. Has been, is and always shall be.

How then, would participating in BNT contribute to the chat? Indirectly, it would bring in players who would join up and hopefully add to the community and oh yes, the chat.

BNT is, at the end of the day, a game that is affiliated with 10F, but is not a full part of it. We might as well lash games like Neopets, or Evony, or Runescape to the side of our dear Outpost, or stick our banner on top. But ultimately, it is a completely separate thing that wears the name like a toupee, but might as well be another entity.

I do agree in principle that the time in chat in order to gain rank to CL3 and 4 is a bit of a joke. Anyone that participates enough would catch someone's eye and be recommended for promotion.

But ultimately, it is the fact that they chat in a chatroom that they will eventually gain rank.

That is what 10F has been, is and forever will be.

ajcardall
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 10:46

Quincy,

I do see your point, don't get me wrong, but is promoting someone from CL2 to CL3 who is currently heavily involved with beta-testing (departmental work, perhaps?) the new BNT, even if they don't frequent the chat, really going to cause such a stink and stir? If it was from CL4 to CL5, then I'd be in agreement with yourself 100%, but for CL2 to CL3, really?

quincyw
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 13:24

Quoting: ajcardall
Quincy,

I do see your point, don't get me wrong, but is promoting someone from CL2 to CL3 who is currently heavily involved with beta-testing (departmental work, perhaps?) the new BNT, even if they don't frequent the chat, really going to cause such a stink and stir? If it was from CL4 to CL5, then I'd be in agreement with yourself 100%, but for CL2 to CL3, really?

My only real issue is that ranks are a reward for contributing. I'm not out to offend you, but the question needs to be asked: How would time spent playing in BNT help 10F?

That is the whole underpinning of my argument. I have no issue with this in a real sense. If it becomes the new policy, I'll gladly clap you on the back and give you a hearty Hail Mary.

But how does it help the rest of the community if they are rewarded for only one particular thing which forms the smaller minority (I'll go out on a limb and say a generous 49%) of 10F's population and the (so to speak 51%) majority gets almost no benefit?

I will once again state I am not against this in a literal sense. But I am concerned that we may be going away from what we stand for.

I'm getting off the soapbox now.

david1
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 13:49

Would this also not apply to BNT? A sidestop from the chat, to break the monotony?

10F is a chatroom. Has been, is and always shall be.

How then, would participating in BNT contribute to the chat? Indirectly, it would bring in players who would join up and hopefully add to the community and oh yes, the chat.

Outpost10F is a Community Not just a Chat!

And BNT Contributes to the Community and Site. And in fact some members it brings in do venture into the chatroom. So it contributes to that chat as well!

ajcardall
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 16:05 · Edited by: ajcardall

My only real issue is that ranks are a reward for contributing. I'm not out to offend you, but the question needs to be asked: How would time spent playing in BNT help 10F?

That is the whole underpinning of my argument. I have no issue with this in a real sense. If it becomes the new policy, I'll gladly clap you on the back and give you a hearty Hail Mary.

But how does it help the rest of the community if they are rewarded for only one particular thing which forms the smaller minority (I'll go out on a limb and say a generous 49%) of 10F's population and the (so to speak 51%) majority gets almost no benefit?

I will once again state I am not against this in a literal sense. But I am concerned that we may be going away from what we stand for.

I'm getting off the soapbox now.

Nothing wrong with soapboxing =D

The people David is discussing (I've seen names) are not just dedicated players of BNT however - but people actually assisting with beta testing, bug catching etc on David's behalf, so I don't see a concern for those. They may not be contributing to the chat directly, but they are contributing to an aspect of the OTF Community.

You raise a good question about how does it benefit the people (such as myself, actually!) who do not play the game? Well, some of the members who joined because of BNT are contributing in the chat in a more 'regular' manner. If those that make OUR BNT attractive to none-OTF members cause them to register and drop-by and chat, then in an indirect way, are they not offering something? Granted there is no real measure or way to gauge this, but I'm just playing devil's advocate!

Similarly, not everyone enjoys Trivia, yet those members are rewarded for their efforts - same with Gaming and Simming etc. Granted, these people do also chat in the rooms, so I accept that counter-argument, but just because not everyone enjoys and/or plays BNT, doesn't have to mean that those who do, and help with the project, should not receive our thanks.

Do not get me wrong - I'm not at all advocating anyone who plays a decent amount of time should be promoted - but those who assist. Those who assist generally are the ones who help, anyway *l*

Dunno if that makes any sense. I was just writing as things came to mind

demonvamp
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 16:56

I have a slight question (correct me if I'm wrong) but don't a lot of people who do play BNT- rather than chat- have different names in game to their dossiers?

How would people a: be able to recommend them for promotion if they didn't know both names and/or play BNT themselves and b: know that they were avidly beta testing in the first place and not just playing for a ten minute period every other day?

I'll get me coat.

david1
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 17:17

Quoting: demonvamp
I have a slight question (correct me if I'm wrong) but don't a lot of people who do play BNT- rather than chat- have different names in game to their dossiers?

for the classic version yes, but for the new version launching on anniversary, no it wont be an issue

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.025
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0