· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Official Try and Make OTF not boring Thread, Thread!
. 1 . 2 . >>
stevennorton
# Posted: 16 Apr 2011 09:24

So in the three weeks since the last (boring) post by Dierna about Doctor something in the gossip thread we've had a post in the BNT thread (Bane of all existence Traders) and something about inappropriate pictures of Jeri Ryan.

I'm at a loss... and think something needs to be done about the sad state around here.

Stay tuned is all I need say... stay tuned... (maybe, if I feel like it)

gentry
# Posted: 16 Apr 2011 11:01

I only check in here once in a blue moon, and when I do there is always a post about Departments changing, new managers, manager "retiring". I'm not looking to start a fight, but if this site is serious about it's survival it needs a complete revamp and rethink. Departments have had their day... But from what I've seen this will never happy, no body has the time or interest anymore. This site was great and we will always have memorys....

richard_smith
# Posted: 16 Apr 2011 19:29

I think there's a lot of life let in this place, all we need is some people to start coming around more. Many of us been trying to keep things lively for some time now and there is indeed a revamping in the works (or so I'm told), but there's only so much you can do with limited people.

Life happens, we all know that, but it seems that life hit everyone at once this go around. Those trying to breathe some life into the Outpost could sure use a little help. If you can't help out on a team of some sort, at least stop by the chat and see what's up. Participate in what's planned. We have tried to hold some events. Let's spark the new revival.

ajcardall
# Posted: 18 Apr 2011 06:49

Hello, folks!

Quoting: gentry
I only check in here once in a blue moon, and when I do there is always a post about Departments changing, new managers, manager "retiring". I'm not looking to start a fight, but if this site is serious about it's survival it needs a complete revamp and rethink. Departments have had their day... But from what I've seen this will never happy, no body has the time or interest anymore. This site was great and we will always have memorys....

You do raise some good points about the Outpost having to adapt, and it is something that we are currently looking at doing, in several ways, which I'll run through for everyone now, so there are no secrets like days of yore.

OTF Homepage

To be frank, our current website is outdated and looks bad. So, we are in the stages of building and designing a new webpage that incorporates more modern facets of webdesign such as HTML5 and CSS3. We have a good feeling that with a new, clean and easier to use homepage, we'll be able to increase footfall and retention of new members.

Rank Structure Re-Hash

After personally looking through every aspect of OTF that we offer, I hatched a scheme that maybe, just maybe, will help activity rise once more. You rightly pointed out that departments are struggling and are dead, and while, in part, that is due to people being too busy in real-life, we think there is also a second part to it all. One of the mainstays of the Outpost, that always helped attract people, was the presence of a clear and defined rank structure where people could get involve and reap rewards for their efforts. Back in the day, this worked perfectly when we had multiple active departmetns and teams - there was plenty to do and the rank chain reflected that. However, after our decline, the rank ladder became very difficult to climb due to little/no activity, so people were getting stuck, and likely asking what's the point? To this end, we are in the final stages of rolling out an exapnded rank structure that will increase the number of Clearance Levels from 12 to 19, making it easier, in our current state, to reap rewards and to be able to rise up. We hope that this will encourage people to get involved, especially lower-down the order, as the new structure is less deamanding.

To simply explain, think of it this way. At present, at CL6, it is very hard to get to CL7 as it is a large step-up that requires leadership in a prominent role - something we cannot offer. By increasing the steps we are able to make each rank somewhat easier to achieve, thus, hopefully, increasing interest.

People will mentiont they don't care about ranks on a website, and that is fair enough. However, I don't think most people buy into this argument honestly, but rather because it sounds "cool" to be in this camp; to be aloof of trivial things like this. I believe, deep down, if there was extra opportunity, more people would consider getting involved again.

Couple this with a webpage redesign, and we are expecting to see an increase in activity.

Marketing

Lastly, Dmitri is moving to the post of Marketing Director with a view to establishing a well-oiled marketing machine that will help get us "out there" and get people in through the door. I cannot speak much on this, as Dmitri is far better qualified to explain his plan of action and where he hopes it will lead.

In summary, we DO realise we are in a rut, and we are hoping to arrest the slide and turn it around over the next few months. We are not taking the defeatist attitude that there is nothing we can do, people don't care etc... because people do care. Together, as a community, we can sort this out.

As always, folks, if you have any ideas of your own, we are eager to hear them. Or if you just have feedback about the steps listed above, let us know on this forum.

Simialrly, if anyone wishes to get involved at ANY level, or try their hand at an idea they have, we welcome it entirely.

Cheers,
AJ

tycho
# Posted: 18 Apr 2011 07:55

It's been some slow month, that is true, but OTF has some of its spirit back.

We're busy behind the scenes working on a new homepage design and later on when that's done we'll be able to use it for all other OTF sites as well.
We're focusing on up to date web standards and usability, making it easier for new and old members to navigate through our pages without dying of eye cancer.

So stay tuned for news =)

freid001
# Posted: 18 Apr 2011 08:36

Quoting: tycho
It's been some slow month, that is true, but OTF has some of its spirit back.

We're busy behind the scenes working on a new homepage design and later on when that's done we'll be able to use it for all other OTF sites as well.
We're focusing on up to date web standards and usability, making it easier for new and old members to navigate through our pages without dying of eye cancer.

So stay tuned for news =)

Sounds good

majin_fett
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 04:40

Trivia is taking an unexpected breather, but James and I have something up our sleeves.

a_cooper
# Posted: 19 Apr 2011 15:18

Can't wait to hear news about the new homepage
What I think we need is a 'bright' welcome page, centre the content and make the overall page wider. No offense or discredit to any of the designers of the homepage but to me it just comes across as cluttered. I think the main problem comes from the narrow page and the site navigation and links being kind of in two places at once on the top bar and on the left bar. And just adding a general background extending from the page would help liven things up a little. Not trying to come across as complaining but more giving some ideas.

I don't know how things are 'behind the scenes' but all I can say is thank you and keep up the good work.

ajcardall
# Posted: 20 Apr 2011 08:01

Quoting: a_cooper
What I think we need is a 'bright' welcome page, centre the content and make the overall page wider. No offense or discredit to any of the designers of the homepage but to me it just comes across as cluttered. I think the main problem comes from the narrow page and the site navigation and links being kind of in two places at once on the top bar and on the left bar. And just adding a general background extending from the page would help liven things up a little. Not trying to come across as complaining but more giving some ideas.

Indeed, you are quite correct about the current homepage. It is very cluttered - which itself is a sin - but to make matters worse, it is cluttered with stuff that is extremely outdated and doesn't work, and makes us look like a tin-pot organisation.

The re-design is still in the early stages, but the guys working on it are looking to make it much more centralised, streamlined and with a lot less clutter. They are looking to place the focus on getting people into the chatrooms (or to register) with a lot less fuss than at present, with the current homepage.

Also, Cooper, we welcome ALL feedback - good or bad - as long as it is constructive and well thought out, so no need to apologise for "complaining" We welcome your input entirely! Similarly, if you have thoughts about the rest of the Outpost, do share your thoughts, suggestions and ideas!

Cheers for the reply!

-AJ

sloppy
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 08:14

am I the only one left with some love for the ol' homepage :'( retro chic!

ajcardall
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 09:23

PAPARAZZI

quincyw
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 10:01

Baby there's no other super star you know that I'll be. Papa- Paparazzi.

Uh...

Look over there. It's a new Constitution class starship. Hopefully coming to an Outpost10F near you!

stevennorton
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 23:30

This... this is a start, cheer (or boo) AJ and his almost mushy transparency!

Now, who wants a group hug?

rabid_tribble
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 07:01 · Edited by: rabid_tribble

I haven't been coming here much in the past few years, because-----like many others-----I've been quite busy in real life. And also, when you lose the habit of doing something regularly, you tend not to think of that activity very often. Having said that, I do intend to come here more often from now on.

I have lots of great memories of OTF, especially from those "Golden Age" years between 2002 and 2004. In our heyday, we were one of the busiest and best "chatroom" sites on the internet. This was, of course, before the advent of social networking sites, which were detrimental to all chatrooms sites.

As some have said, I think there's plenty of life left at OTF. And thanks to efforts that are now underway to give it some needed "renovations", it could possibly return to some of its former glory. It's all up to us. I, for one, will do my share by visiting more often, and perhaps joining a department of some kind, if my help is wanted/needed.

ajcardall
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 10:15

Hi RABID,

As a returning member (kind of), I'd like to pick your brains, if I may?

Why did you drop off initially? Was it just life got in the way, or did more than that?

And why return?

I'm not suggesting to we don't want you. More if we can find out what drove people away, and what enticed them back, then we can work on that moving forward.

On a final note, if you ever have any ideas, suggestions... anything! Let us know. We will consider any and all ideas that get sent our way

Cheers!
-AJ

david1
# Posted: 1 May 2011 09:10

I should say this "Outpost10f is what YOU make it"

ajcardall
# Posted: 1 May 2011 17:34

Indeed, it's why we're more successful than any charmless facsimile website out there!

quincyw
# Posted: 1 May 2011 20:49

Quoting: ajcardall
Why did you drop off initially? Was it just life got in the way, or did more than that?

And why return?

Quoting: david1
I should say this "Outpost10f is what YOU make it"

To put in my input, that's really it. Fact is, 10F is what we make of it, but sadly, there's no interaction. No fun, no... Different.

In the old days, 10F was different because there were ranks and avatars that were different to the many numerous chat rooms in the old days.

But after the initial novelty wore off, we found that talking with people over MSN did the same thing, only cutting out 10F, but still talking to over friends.

I only return due to loyalty; and a hope that somehow 10F will undergo a revitalisation back to the golden days because that's what we remember.

It's nostalgia that keeps us coming back, not the features we have now.

ajcardall
# Posted: 1 May 2011 22:34

Hello Quincy,

I don't think we should be too focussed on restoring the days gone by, as a massive change in internet scenary has occured in that time. Instead, we should opt to look to forge a better future to rival the olden days, as best we can.

quincyw
# Posted: 1 May 2011 23:50

But AJ, that's the problem!

10F is currently defined by what we were. Anyone who's stayed here long enough know that we're currently not doing anything! We're stuck in neutral (gear) and we stay there because there isn't change. We get some new people once in a while and a few of them end up staying because it's different... Then it becomes same-old-same-old.

So us old sods are staying because of loyalty to the place, not because of what 10F currently has to offer.

You were asking what made us drop off and why we return. This, at least, is my answer.

ajcardall
# Posted: 1 May 2011 23:53

The chatrooms, by and large, are not defined by what we were, but what we are now.

The changes being made (rank overhaul, departmental overhaul, intense marketing campaigns, OTF front page design) are not defined by what we were, but where we want to be.

I don't see anyone in the chats these days lamenting the 'good old days' or wanting to return to those days - we accept they are gone. They were great and good, and they were our golden years, but they are the past. While it is nice to remember the times, we cannot - and are not - actively letting such thoughts dictate where we steer our path for the future.

hobbie
# Posted: 2 May 2011 00:03

In addition to which, the old members are going to come back regardless of what we do with the place. By and large, they are more interested in reconnecting with old friends than they are in enjoying the layout or additional features.

On the other hand, we are not going to attract anyone new by sticking to the old ways or trying to get back to them. And, while we can survive on maintaining a core of regulars and of former regulars still dropping by every now and then, we need to renew our membership if we want to move forward.

quincyw
# Posted: 2 May 2011 01:11

You were merely asking why people would not return; but why they do return.

I know very well why we shouldn't get stuck in the past and indeed, we're trying to have a good go at making things better.

But this so called "the past" is the reason old members come back.

ajcardall
# Posted: 2 May 2011 01:45

Is it, though?

I had two/three years where I never visited. I decided one day that I will. And I did. It was dead, but I dropped by anyway, and then more and more people crawled out of the woodwork. I had a laugh, met some people I'd never spoken to before, and enjoyed myself.

I didn't return for the good old days or the past, I returned because we have some wonderful members now, not back then.

Sure, people may return out of curiosity - but I doubt they will stay just out of loyalty, nor should we entice people back or attempt to keep them around purely because of the past. Presently, people hang around because they enjoy themselves here - it's why I return daily, as do the 300+ active chatters we have. We don't come back because we liked the good old days, we come back because we like what we are now, and where we are headed.

quincyw
# Posted: 2 May 2011 02:21

300 active chatters? Oye vey, we have shrunk so much.

In either event... Any new news? Any more initiatives moving along?

rabid_tribble
# Posted: 2 May 2011 03:27

Quoting: ajcardall
Hi RABID,

As a returning member (kind of), I'd like to pick your brains, if I may?

And why return?

I'm not suggesting to we don't want you. More if we can find out what drove people away, and what enticed them back, then we can work on that moving forward.

On a final note, if you ever have any ideas, suggestions... anything! Let us know. We will consider any and all ideas that get sent our way

Cheers!
-AJ

I never officially left. I've been around, and dropped in occasionally during the past few years----just not that often. The fact that I no longer had home internet was certainly a big factor.

Now, with a shiny new computer and extreme high speed internet connection, it's easy / convenient for me to come here once again.

ajcardall
# Posted: 2 May 2011 05:07

Quoting: quincyw
300 active chatters? Oye vey, we have shrunk so much.

In either event... Any new news? Any more initiatives moving along?

I prefer to think we have grown when I returned there were barely two dozen

Yeah, some upcoming changes. I'll be make updates announcements shortly - just want to wait for HAL and Iain to clear things through

mav
# Posted: 6 Jul 2011 05:23

erm not been on here for a long long time...

but sorry AJ, to think that by increasing ranks from 12 -19 is going to attract new members is a bit mad. After all you are trying to attract new people not keep people at cl 6 or 7 interested.

the sad thing is i last came here around the year 2000. even then the chat system was getting a bit dated.

i do like the auto refresh, but to think that's the only noticeable feature added in nearly 11 years is shocking.

i agree that the rank system, working for practical rewards in chat is a strong idea, but seriously guys the chat system itself needs to be updated.

to give you an idea, i first learnt perl here, then went on to php 4. and my lecture at uni thinks im outdated because i keep referring to php 4

mohdanni
# Posted: 6 Jul 2011 19:47

I woukld like to suggest either an ignore button or a way to minimize annoying chatters...myself being the exception.

This would go a long way to making it a better place for everyone...just click on the person whose convo you do not care to participate in and the chat contentjust got less tedious and bothersome.

ayanna
# Posted: 7 Jul 2011 09:14

I have to agree with some of the other old timers, the main reason i to come back is out of Loyalty, OTF was the first chat room like this i ever got involved with and back then i found it exciting and interesting because it was different and unique. People were extremely friend and there weren't many *clicks*

The homepage i feel is definitely in need of a revamp especially with all the broken links and dead projects. That was another thing that kept people interested was all the old departments even the Guilds was popular to some. I don't think we should get rid of them all together but for now perhaps combine them all into one until we get things re-organized. Or one or two Say Entertainment (Could be all the trivia's, Role playing, Games, poetry stuff, etc...) and then of Course Security or Call it something else like Support staff or something which could include Security, Marketing and Development.

I don't think having an ignore button is such a good idea that could become a big problem leaving some not being able to join in the conversation or understanding whats going on. I can see it creating a big problem for people who are not used to chat rooms like this or unsure how to interact. You have to remember we get people of all shapes, sizes, ages and whatnot including people with disabilites and it would be unfair not to give them a fair chance to join in a good conversation simply because the don't fully understand the system right away.

As for why i left and then came back. That has many situation but lately i haven't been coming around because it just hasn't felt very friendly as of late. Just the vibe that you get from chat. Rarely do people say hello or chat about random things i remember when their would be 4 or 5 different conversations going on at once in chat. Now lately when you enter it's just a simple hello or goodybe and thats it. Plus i've noticed some being rather rude even if they don't intend to be that way not everyone has the same sense of humor and it tends to scare people off i think. Anyway i think i've said enough for now if have any questions or comments please feel free to say and i'll respond best i can

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.064
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0