· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Doctor Who Series 6 Episode 1: The Impossible Astronaut
skevington
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 18:50

So we have just seen the first episode of the new series. What does everyone think of it? I think it is off to a good start! I was not expecting much after what I felt was a disappointing xmas special but I am always glad to be wrong. A good return for the doctor and showing some promise...

sarek1
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 22:23

Still got 2 1/2 hours to go before I can see it, but I haven't anticipated a show this much in a while.

quincyw
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 23:12

And in the immortal words of River Song (could someone please edit this into the Departmental post?):

SPOILERS!

Australia has an airdate of the 30th.

skevington
# Posted: 23 Apr 2011 23:16

No problem, Quincy, I will make a mention of spoilers in the post.

korny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2011 03:33

It was exciting! Of course, anything Doctor Who is exciting!

dierna
# Posted: 24 Apr 2011 18:54

I thought it was a good start to the season. Also the Liz Sladen tribute that aired on CBBC afterwards was very touching. You can watch it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhMOY_opag4&

sarek1
# Posted: 24 Apr 2011 22:54

So I finally got to see it, and it was AWESOME! And it's good to see the Doctor in America for a change.

quincyw
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 11:22

Doctor Who Series 6, Episode 1: The Impossible Astronaut

Spoiler level: None!

First of all, my pants are still a bit brown. Yeah, it was scary at points.

So, Doctor Who, Series 6 has finally arrived! I have been a fan of Doctor Who since the late 80s. Watching reruns in the afternoons and while it was a good show, I enjoyed newer, better shows, such as Star Trek: The Next Generation, or the various Stargates or Battlestar Galactica.

When I had heard Doctor Who was going to start up a new season and a new run, I rolled my eyes. The creaky, senile old show was coming back. I'm glad it did!

First Christopher Eccleston and then David Tennant brought a new lease of life on a show which, despite being old and supposedly boring, made it something to be proud of again. And, for the record, I actually prefer my old 60s Who. With William Hartnell as the First Doctor, compared to the later ones.

But by Series Four, I'd gotten rather tired of the show. Russell T. Davies deserves significant kudos for getting the show to where it is. But it got too storyline driven. The show was becoming dark. Yes, the show is designed to be scary and watched from behind the sofa...

But it wasn't enjoyable. It's not the kind of guilty pleasure that you have curled up around a big bowl of popcorn, peeking up over the rim when it doesn't seem to be so scary, or pulling it over your head when it got too much.

Doctor Who Series Five changed my mind. With Steven Moffat, the show became fun. It was both something you liked and enjoyed. I felt like a nine year old again, not really knowing what was going on, but getting this goofy grin and just going along for a ride with this insane man with a TARDIS.

Doctor Who Series Six... I like it, but I don't enjoy it. The series is definitely a lot darker, but it does not suit Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor. For me, dear old Eleven should be full of energy, running into a room with arms flying like a flamingo, words flying from his mouth even faster, Amy and Rory both look at each other going what? He has this crazy, oddball, is this guy for real personality.

The fun dialogue that is easy to listen to and easily quotable. The kind of fun banter that the Doctor, Amy, Rory and even River (though mysteriously) banters off one another is odd and muted. There's no sense of fun and adventure.

So don't get me wrong. I did like this episode and Matt Smith does an excellent job. But it's not for his Doctor. It's a glove that doesn't quite fit him properly. Series Six is probably better suited to David Tennant's Tenth Doctor.

As always and especially now, we shall have to wait until the series is over before we can truly pass judgement on what it's all about. After all, that's how this show works now.

But before I do pass judgement based on this episode on the merits of this episode... Why on Gallifrey does the guy playing Nixon look more like Lyndon Johnson than Nixon??? Anyone? I'm not being nitpicky. He really looks more like Johnson than Nixon!

So... The Impossible Astronaut. A review and score based on its merits...

Score: I'd give it a 9 out of 10!

Bottom line: Tense, brown pants moments, a mind boggling will-it-won't-it. Beautifully acted and beautiful first fifteen minutes. And some more brown pants moments.

Note: I'll probably end up eating my words when all this is over!

korny
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 20:48

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that guy looked more like LBJ.

skevington
# Posted: 8 May 2011 00:23

Can we kill off Rory now?

quincyw
# Posted: 8 May 2011 03:53

Last night, I attempted to write a review for Day of the Moon, but couldn't find myself enough things to say in it.

So just a set of scores, explaining the categories first:

• Fez score: The score I give for the Eleventh Doctor, from acting, to dialogue, to mannerisms etc out of 10
• Legs and nose (and Mrs Robinson) score: The same as above, but for Amy and Rory and River where applicable out of 10
• Geronimo! score: The score for overall fun and "adventure" scale, out of 10
• Brown pants score: As the name suggests, scariness level, out of 10
• Overall score: Sadly not an aggregate of the above, but will be weighted and influenced heavily and also taking into account plot etc

So, retroactive score for The Impossible Astronaut:
• Fez: 8/10
• Legs and Nose and Mrs Robinson: 10/10 (Amy here herself deserves top marks)
• Geronimo!: 7/10
• Brown pants: 10/10!
• Overal: 9/10

Score for Day of the Moon:
• Fez: 9/10
• Legs and Nose (and Mrs Robinson): 10
• Geronimo!: 9/10
• Brown pants: 12/10! (the orphanage was probably the scariest scene ever!)
• Overall: 10/10

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0