· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Thor the Movie
skevington
# Posted: 4 May 2011 16:49

Did anyone else see the Thor movie? If so, what do you think? Also please be careful not to post plot spoilers in here as I know there are many people eagerly anticipating watching it.

I went to see this with Jayne about a week ago. It goes without saying that this is a guy movie and I certainly enjoyed it more than she did. I rather think she was just humoring me!

I watched the 3d version (is there a 2d one?) in which I thought the visuals were quite impressive throughout. I think this added a great deal to the movie. Especially the fight scene at the beginning of the movie. It delivered what I expected; a simple plot, some pretty visuals but nothing much more than that. As this was what I expected going in I came out pleased.

The movie is rather superficial and there is little depth to the characters or plot. In some places it was certainly rather contrived. I disliked the whole love element to the movie and was quite amused at how main characters fell in love instantly. I'd have rather removed the whole love element and put in more ass-kicking fight scenes. But I would say that...

I think the absolute best performance of the movie was Idris Elba as Heimdall. I have only seen Idris Elba in the BBC series Luther but based on this performance. I look forward to seeing him in more roles in the future.

So if I were to rate Thor out of 10 I'd give it a 6. It seems that I am slightly out of touch with public opinion here as according to Rotten Tomatoes 84% of viewers liked it.

tycho
# Posted: 4 May 2011 17:26

I LOVED IT :@

quark
# Posted: 5 May 2011 12:08

Mr. Skevington is often out of touch with public opinion. It's a politician thing.

deboe
# Posted: 5 May 2011 18:44

Rotten Tomatoes

rabid_tribble
# Posted: 8 May 2011 10:17

I really liked it too.

I grew up watching the Thor cartoons, and I had a few Thor comic books. The movie's great-----they did a terrific job with it. It's going to make at least a gazillion dollars at the box office.

quark
# Posted: 9 May 2011 12:14

I just saw it yesterday evening - I found it to be quite good.

Saw it in 3D. My first 3D movie, actually. I am pleased that they did not "over-use" the 3D technology.

hobbie
# Posted: 11 May 2011 23:08

I watched it in 2D, just so I can be different.

I agree with Lee on the lack of depth, and I could have done without the whole love thing. Aside from that, I thought it was rather fun and enjoyable, and I am curious as to what they'll do with the sequel.

quark
# Posted: 12 May 2011 21:32

How dare you question Natalie Portman's existence in any film. HOW DARE YOU!

majin_fett
# Posted: 12 May 2011 22:32

I saw it twice, once in 3D, once in 2D. Much better in 2D.

Yes, I loved it. Not as much as the first Iron Man, but it was still good, with a lot of heart. Maybe I'm strange (I am), but I thought there was good depth to the film, especially with the family (Thor, Odin, Loki).

And the love story? It was needed to humanize the character, both for the audience and also for his character to grow. Besides, it's Natalie Portman.

And HAWKEYE!

And the after-credits scene really makes me anticipate Captain America and The Avengers even more...

deboe
# Posted: 13 May 2011 13:30

what Majin said.

quark
# Posted: 13 May 2011 15:52

I may have to go back and re-see it in 2D. I also didn't watch the after-credits scene.

dr_john
# Posted: 18 May 2011 00:35

I thought it was ok, but that was probably due to me not knowing about the back story of the movie.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.046
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0