· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / 3D printers. The first step toward real world ST replicators? Discuss.
mitsky
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 19:20

Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

7of24
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 22:14

yeah that does sound kinda cool

when I saw replicators on TNG when I was a kid I thought they were kinda cool till I figured they werent real but as I got older thinking bout how technology works and how it progresses I always wondered wht kind of things from shows or movies like Star Trek or Star Wars and various others will one day might come true.

deboe
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 00:01

It definitely is a similar concept, but far from turning energy into matter.

crazytexan
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 20:00

I work with a 3D printer on a regular basis to build rapid prototype mechanical parts, enclosures, and mock-up circuit boards. It is a nifty tool to show off your project in a sales/marketing or engineering design team meetings before you start ordering production parts. Right now we are using ABS plastic as material, but we are researching the possibility of printing rubber gaskets, higher-quality plastic, and other materials.

3D printers are becoming faster, more cost effective, have improved resolution, and compact enough to sit on your desktop. 3D printers will eventually evolve into "replicator-like" machines as the technology improves.

I read an article recently that eventually you can print "edible" meat on a printer...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57493377-76/3d-p rinted-meat-its-whats-for-dinner/

7of24
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 21:33

hey I just thought of something, I saw something similiar talked bout in Jurassic Park 3 that came out a few years ago. there was a scene in a movie that showed a 3D printer where Dr Grant's assistant showed him one and printed up the vocal part of a raptors skull which was later used in the movie to fool the raptors on the island.

and I know CSI: New York had an episode recently where they had a guy with a 3D printer and showed it to a guy who some how was able to print up a one time use hand guy through the printer which I thought was weird.

karvinjoss
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 07:25

Its also true that 3D printing more convenient. Even its also true that 3D printing creates better impact than the normal printing. Its also more helpful for producing more new shape & structures.
-------------------------------------------------
Get the best Label Printing Services | custom printed labels

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.021
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0