· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / General Chatter / Max leaves and this place dies
mohdanni
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 20:48

I know the point will be missed by the ones who most need to "get it", but once again we get a new batch of decent people into OTF and certain cliques run off the good ones.

Max was one of the good ones

7of24
# Posted: 10 Dec 2012 22:16

yeah I seen stuff like that happen to other chat sites I been too. either regs get to busy or loose interest in certian chat sites or a small group or groups of new chatters come in and drive off the old regs and pretty much kills a chat room. granted I cant really get into the chat room as much anymore since I got an older comp but I still cat the BB to come chat on occasionally.

naberrie
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 17:27

Or they are fired. *l*

7of24
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 20:07

yeah either way when good people leave a good chat site for whatever the reason its a sad day

hobbie
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 22:37

As much as we try to prevent it, cliques do tend to form at OTF. It is natural. There are some people who find themselves entirely incapable of fitting in, despite efforts from both the community and the chatter in question. Lange was such an example, and cases as extreme as his are difficult to rectify. Max, however, was not. From what I observed, he seemed to be getting along with people and was willing to contribute and devote time and effort to OTF, both good signs that he was well on his way to becoming a respected chatter.

His last visit to OTF was during a Trivia that he did rather poorly in. Several chatters attempted to throw him subtle (and later not-so-subtle) hints to improve his performance, and he appeared oblivious to them. No one was mean or malicious; everyone wanted to help him. His sudden departure was surprising and saddening to many regulars. I would not say he was driven away by a lack of acceptance.

hobbie
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 22:41

Also, Wilma, no one is denying that you have been and can continue to be a valuable member of our community. Unfortunately, replacing you as Trivia TL was a call we had to make - there were clearly identified and communicated issues that continued to plague the events. When these issues remained unsolved over the course of multiple events, despite numerous discussions pointing them out and offering solutions, it became apparent that they would persist.
This was in no way intended as a personal attack on you, merely a pragmatic decision that had to be made to allow Trivia to continue its growth.

You can, of course, feel free to cast yourself as a victim and find excuses to justify what happened, but my advice would be to learn from it and move on instead. We still have a number of projects going on, and there is absolutely no reason you can't find some other way to contribute where you would be a better fit. That is to say, OTF is most certainly not dead. It is in the process of a refreshing resurgence. We welcome your participation, but should you choose instead to sit back and criticize the progress being made, that is out of our hands.

trinity
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 19:04 · Edited by: trinity

I'm so sad that Max is gone!!!

Regardless, I think it is important that we all try our best to work together to keep cliques from forming. Not that people should form close attachments--far from it, but as a community we should try to accept people, train them up, and everyone should actively seek to help them get plugged in. I agree, some individuals just don't fit in, but some genuinely lack certain skills and need people to come beside them and help them.

especially with the advent of social media, people having skype, and a load of other ways to contact people, experienced chatters should attempt to be more resourceful in situations where someone is offending them. I wasn't there for the recent even with max, and i know a lot of people are shocked by his departure, but we don't know how he read the messages. People don't like to be criticized in public, because it can feel like someone is trying to shame you. And maybe he just didn't understand -- dont know his perspective, and we can't judge him as a lamer, since we know he was not. I'm sorry that Max didn't feel appreciated or understood, which seems to be the reason for his departure.

Hopefully we can all do better next time. Max will be missed

naberrie
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 20:27

Max emailed me once after the event, his internet went down mid-trivia, so his departure then wasn't voluntary. I haven't heard from him since, so I don't know why he hasn't returned.

mohdanni
# Posted: 13 Feb 2013 02:44

I think I know why.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0