· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / ISA Intelligence / Microsoft's free anti-virus package
tycho
# Posted: 2 Oct 2009 12:17 · Edited by: tycho

In case you don't have any anti- virus solution yet, this is certainly something you should get.
The independent testing lab AV-Test.org reviewed Microsoft Security Essentials lately and found out that MS SE certainly can compete with other free av solutions such as AVG or Avast.
It has a good scan speed and even the rootkit removal worked well.
A huge plus mark for MS SE is the possibility to avoid most false positives when it comes to Windows system files. Anti- Virus scanner often detect legitimate files as potentially malign and put them into quarantine which can easily crash your PC.
AV-Test.org reports that MS SE was able to detect about 98% of the viruses, worms, backdoors, bots and trojan horses they tested.
Further they say it was able to detect 90% of ad/spy-ware tested, with no false alert when it came to Windows/Microsoft related files.
Sounds good, eh?
Of course there is a backside... the dynamic malware detection doesn't seem to work very well at this point, but on the other hand most other free anti- virus only solutions don't have that feature at all.
If you have a validated copy of Windows XP SP2+, Vista or Windows 7, you can download it here.
In case you have any questions, feel free to ask here.

Regards,
Tycho
ISA Intell Project Leader

skevington
# Posted: 2 Oct 2009 21:40

I am giving it a try, I'll let you know how I get on with it.

~ Dmitri

lzrman
# Posted: 3 Oct 2009 02:50

I will stick with my ever trusted AVG from the years.

skevington
# Posted: 3 Oct 2009 11:46

So far it seems to be running well. It is nowhere near as invasive as other software which does the same job and of course it is free. It doesn't noticably slow your system down either and I am using a Dell Inspiron 1010 which isn't the fastest of machines.

So far a big thumbs up to Microsoft!

tycho
# Posted: 4 Oct 2009 21:00

Thanks for the review Lee!
I have it running as well and no problems so far.
We shall inform you as soon as there are reports of bugs or other major issues with MS SE.

christena
# Posted: 5 Oct 2009 22:33

no problems here either

david1
# Posted: 6 Oct 2009 08:20

While i admit this is a reasonable program (or a trillian times better then its predecessor), there is one major drawback for myself, that it doesnt come with a good firewall, and requires you to either use the windows firewall (which is is the equlivent of a wall made out of jelly) or another free program (like zonealarm, which is the equilivant of a wall made out of wood).

tycho
# Posted: 6 Oct 2009 08:27

Make sure your router firewall is set up.
And this is not a complete security suite, just a virus / malware scanner, keep that in mind!

tycho
# Posted: 19 Oct 2009 15:10

Not too bad, I's say

Redmond estimates 1.5 million users downloaded its freebie security scanner software during its first week of availability earlier this month.

Microsoft Security Essentials, which comes at no extra charge to consumers running kosher versions of Windows, detected four million instances of malware of one type or another on 535,752 distinct machines in its first week of operation up from its release on 29 September until 6 October. Windows XP machines were more likely to be infected than Vista boxes which, in turn, were more bug-filed than Win 7 machines
Link

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.020
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0