· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF Library / I'd like to reccmmend an author.
taurik
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 18:40

I was wondering if anyone has done any reading on books by Vince Flynn?

He is the only fiction author I read these days and I eagerly await the release of his books every year. He used to be a writer on the series '24' and after reading his books, you can tell why.

His books follow the exploits of CIA counter terrorism operative Mitch Rapp and his efforts to navigate through two major battlefields: the world of international terrorism and the world of washington politics. You find yourself asking the question, "which one of these two are more dangerous?"

The books are fiction but can be read as non-fiction. So many influential people have read and enjoyed his books that he's given some scary access to information that make his books so realistic. So much so that his 6th book, "Memorial Day", was investigated by the Department of Energy for possibly mentioning classified information in regards to nuclear security.

If you like '24', you'll enjoy these books. If you enjoyed the Bourne trilogy of music, you'll enjoy these books. If you like Tom Clancy but wished there was a little bit more action, you'll enjoy these books. If you're a card carrying member of Amnesty International, you may not enjoy these books. Mitch Rapp kills terrorists, he doesn't invite it to dinner and try to understand their grievences.

Flynn's first book was "Term Limits". Its a good read and features many of the characters that you encounter in the rest of his series of books. But our hero, Mitch Rapp, makes his first appearance in his second book, "Transfer of Power" and each following one. I recommend that you start with this book first and later on go back to "Term Limits".

Each book is a rollercoaster. You go back and forth between actions in the field and actions in politics. Each books builds on the last one but Vince Flynn takes the time to educate or re-educate the reader on what happened in previous books as to let them know the back story. Entering at any point in the series will work .

Hope you all enjoy this author.

ajcardall
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 18:55

Sounds similar to a Chris Ryan style author in terms of theme and character, and I always enjoyed a Chris Ryan book.

Will keep an eye out for this one.

taurik
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 19:00

I have seen Vince Flynn in UK book stores. Shouldn't be too hard to track down.

ares_reaper8
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 19:59

never got into chris ryan books, i think andy mcnab is better

master_chief
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 20:45

How about we get right on an Author Spotlight for you?

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Brandon
Library TL

daecrist
# Posted: 5 Feb 2010 12:17

When Keith says "Vince Flynn" we all know he really means "Nicholas Sparks."

7of24
# Posted: 29 Dec 2011 03:53

I have read vince flynn, read all of his books pretty much for one or two, he actually lives in the same area I do

mohdanni
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 03:54

Larry Bond has several good titles

generalmax
# Posted: 9 May 2012 15:35

recommended reading:

Pat Barker - The Regeneration Trilogy

7of24
# Posted: 21 May 2012 18:38

another good writer is Steve Berry

mohdanni
# Posted: 1 Feb 2013 07:33

I am 3/4ths of the way through the Inheritance Cycle (4 books) by Christopher Paolini...most excellent, but too few

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0