· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gaming / OTF Red Alert
david1
# Posted: 3 Nov 2018 09:12

Hello All,

As some of you might have heard, I have been working on a browser based game from the ground up for a few years now, and its at the advanced stages where I feel relaxed talking about it.

As a bit of a background I have worked on 'other peoples' browser games before, as I have done for BNT here at the otf, however I really got fed up of investing time on their code and being tied down to their rules and their ideas. It was also annoying getting threatened constantly by the original code creators because what was produced was better than the original. So starting from scratch with a fresh idea was the only course of action to take.

The game is called "Outpost10F - Red Alert', and it is built exclusively for the Outpost10F community.

Synopsis:

You are an emergency security program, activated after a critical event on the outpost. You have one objective, secure the outpost at any cost.

Breakdown:

The aim of the game is to explore the station (multiple levels), one sector at a time, and with enough resources, secure each sector in your name. While exploring you will be able to interact with other players and you will also be able to complete missions to earn rewards. You will also be able to improve your character by researching skills to improve your abilities, this is to encourage character investment.

To win you simply need to control a defined % of the station.

----------

I am hoping that by the end of December I will be able to start inviting people in for economy testing, as its literally just been done by math currently, which does not always work on a real environment. Also i might be able to ask for help on the artwork by then, as it is currently built purely in css, but i am not committing to that ust yet.

lzrman
# Posted: 22 Nov 2018 03:21

This deserves an DEPT UPDATE! not a forum post dude.
This is tooo cool!

david1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 07:39

it will it will.

Just been working on the combat code for the last 2 months. I thought I had it sorted and have had to just rewrite from the bottom again.

I could technically let people play now, but there would be no combat.

#Every bug fixed, creates a new bug <3

david1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 07:48

Trying to create an economy and game around the idea that the player cannot die has been hard, hence why he combat code is such a royal pain.

But critical damage is bae when upgrading is expensive

david1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2018 08:40

version 1 of the combat code was over 30000 lines of code. very much a pain but first versions always are as you include everything you want and then try to optimise which i managed to do and get to 8000 lines.

it worked well, but was quite buggy and was still bloated as my original idea was to "attack" with a percentage of your capacity, and then add bonuses on top of the percentage.

But managing and monitoring all of this was quite bloated and prone to errors and heavy mysql load. as the free bonuses need to be removed after each attack to stop the user getting freebies.

So i have flipped it and you now attack with 100% of your capacity but you get a free bonus on top instead, which i dont need to monitor as its managed through perks and just disappears afterwards. doing so has cut 4000 lines of code out of the combat code, which is a massive boost.

david1
# Posted: 2 Dec 2018 08:15 · Edited by: david1

http://i66.tinypic.com/vrxyeb.png

Play_combat does everything that play_combat_base, play_combat_pvp, play_combat_mission, play_combat_event does but at a fraction of the code. <3

david1
# Posted: 6 Dec 2018 21:07

Screenshot

Would you like to see more?

lzrman
# Posted: 13 Dec 2018 06:39

germz: PM Me DM me! lol

david1
# Posted: 23 Dec 2018 14:56 · Edited by: david1

One of my better bugs

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 23
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0