· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gaming / Mass Effect - The Movie
david1
# Posted: 27 May 2010 12:39 · Edited by: david1

Yes if you dont allready know, you heard it here first.

Legendary Pictures, has acquired film rights to Mass Effect. This is a good sign as Legendary Pictures is reponssible for these big hits; Dark Knight, Watchmen, 300 etc.

So im definatly going to be watching this unfold, having such a strong company to look after it should produce some interesting results.

Quoting: Mass Effect Gets Picked Up For Hollywood Movie
Games are becoming ever more deep and layered, thanks to better writing and character development. RPGs such as Mass Effect are already set up for a Hollywood-driven space opera, and now it's becoming a reality headed to the silver screen.

Legendary Pictures, whose successful co-productions include The Dark Knight, 300, Clash of the Titans, The Hangover and Watchmen, has acquired theatrical feature film rights to Mass Effect. The producers are in discussions with Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, Thor) to draft a screenplay based on the fiction game series. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce the film with Avi and Ari Arad. BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will serve as executive producers, as will Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson.

BioWare's epic science fiction series takes place in the year 2183 and follows Commander Shepard of the SS Normandy who leads a team on a mission to defeat an ancient alien race that invades the galaxy every 50,000 years, wiping out all organic life.

"Mass Effect is a tremendous property ripe for translation to the big screen," said Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary Pictures. "Mass Effect is a prime example of the kind of source material we at Legendary like to develop; it has depth, compelling characters and an engaging back story. This coupled with Avi and Ari producing and the skills of a great team adapting the screenplay, are the start of turning this smash videogame based property into a successful feature film."

"We are thrilled to be working with Legendary," said producer Avi Arad. "EA and BioWare are terrific partners who have created a brilliant piece of fiction with a universe filled with amazing aliens and technology. More importantly, though, they created a parable whose conflicts mirror the ones we currently face in our own world. This story emphasizes the need for all cultures to learn to work together. All this magic is presented in a fast paced action-adventure that makes for the best kind of movie experience."

"At BioWare, we've always thought of Mass Effect as having the depth, emotion and plot twists perfectly suited for an adaptation to a motion picture," said Casey Hudson. "With Legendary and Avi and Ari Arad attached, we believe that the Mass Effect movie will be an extraordinary entertainment event that realizes our vision for the franchise and thrills fans."

Source

XgermZ

majin_fett
# Posted: 27 May 2010 17:24 · Edited by: majin_fett

And you know who should play Commander Shepard?

Matthew Fox of "Lost" fame.

Sure, it's another role with the last name of "Shepard" for him, but he definitely looks the part, and I'm sure he could sound like it too.

And there's already people for the parts of Miranda and the Illusive Man, since the people voicing them also provided their likenesses!

hobbie
# Posted: 27 May 2010 19:19

Did they announce anything about when in the Mass Effect timeline it was likely to take place at this point? I haven't come across any information or even speculation yet.

Male Shepard was always the most likely choice, there are a lot more Male than Female Shepards picked in the game. I expect they'll also give him the default background (Soldier, Earth-born, War-hero, if I'm not mistaken?). It'll be interesting to see if they make the character more of a Paragon or a Renegade, or somewhere in between. Even though I usually pick the Paragon conversation options, I think the Renegade is closer to what Bioware had in mind when they came up with the game, and it could be incredibly fun to watch on screen.

Matthew Fox is a good choice, anyway, I can definitely see him play the part. Although, in my opinion, the best option would be to keep Shepard in full armor and helmet during most of the movie, with Mark Meer still in charge of being his voice. That would make the movie more similar to what those of us who obsessively play the games are used to.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.021
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0