· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Simming / Carpathia
tim_farris
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 17:54

www.carpathia.raptor-fleet.com

CURRENT MISSION OUTLINE:

The USS Carpathia is scheduled to deliver a Starfleet archaeological team to Theta Worani V. Once the archaeology team and supplies are delivered the star ship will remain in the area to aid the team and strengthen Federation relationships with the locals. At the same time members of the senior staff will conduct tests and are free to visit the excavation site. The Worani have uncovered ancient artifacts and have started digging up an ancient city left behind by the Dominion at the beginning of their rule.

Starfleet wants the Carpathia to report with any discoveries having to do with The Founders The Vorta or Jem'Hadar. Or any reference thereof. While assisting with excavation the Engineering team will be installing repairing and replacing food clothes and energy replicatirs that were sabotaged when the Dominion rule came to an end. Theta Worani V was in chaos for the first five years after the ousting of the Dominion force and is well on their way to recovery by there request Starfleet has stepped in to assist.

tim_farris
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 07:02

Currently in need of chief tactical chief helm chief medical and chief science.

Apply today positions are filling fast!

quincyw
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 03:21

Ugh. I'm mildly interested but I'm too far out of practice. Not to mention I can't do anything until late February anyway. And I have spent the past day trying to develop a character and still can't.

quincyw
# Posted: 31 Jan 2013 12:32

Sigh. You know what? Reserve the posting of Chief Medical please, with the rank of Ensign. My specific request. I just had the idea for a character. But be warned, I won't be able to apply/begin until... 20th February or so. Maybe earlier depending on how my house moving goes.

tim_farris
# Posted: 2 Feb 2013 07:33

I will keep it up as long as possible

quincyw
# Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:28

Well now I have Internet access I can move fairly quickly. I can even test post here mostly because I can't quite apply for a character through that form to show I'm serious.

tim_farris
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 01:57

www.carpathia.raptor-fleet.com

Go ahead and apply ill put you in and just put you on loa

quincyw
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 06:38

I have to do this in reverse. I'm seven years out of practice which means I have to write my intro to get a handle on the character then distill into facts to apply. As noted I can give you my intro post to prove my sincerity.

One question, however. In your posts do you write for each others' characters? Or are you strictly each player writes their own bits?

tim_farris
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 07:03

We have a save feature so we use a

Tag quincyw

When it is your turn. If you crest NPCs feel free to write for them. The only thing I allow is placement for interaction just allow the other person the opportunity to write their own.

And just get me a blank so I can pit you on the list. You can fill in details later lol. Only medical staff I have is a EMH

quincyw
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:19

Got it. Makes the intro more interesting. Today's what, Monday? Full intro, application, bio, "full kit" by Friday.

By the way, Doctor Eleanor Zhang.

tim_farris
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 07:08

Ok. Sounds good

quincyw
# Posted: 10 Feb 2013 04:11

Morning, Captain.

I do apologise because I did promise you Friday I would be ready. I did but then I had my usual change of mind.

Did you know there's a Vulcan proverb? Or is it joke? I can't remember. How many Vulcan masters does it take to create a masterpiece? Two: one to do the creating and the other to hit the first once he's finished.

My creative skills have returned and I created a new character for you in two hours. You will have it later tonight. My apologies.

tim_farris
# Posted: 10 Feb 2013 08:28

no apology needed

quincyw
# Posted: 10 Feb 2013 15:56

"At ease."

Doctor (Ensign) Columbia Ho did so, but only marginally relaxed. The Nebula class USS Orlando was her first posting out of the Academy and it was an interesting experience, to say the least. The summons to the Captain's Ready Room was ominous. Captain Knox and Commander Landers typically did the regular crew evaluations and sent a condensed "feedback" version to the individual crew member.

It was the rare cases that they saw someone directly to discuss the evaluation. Landers was standing directly behind the Captain's right shoulder, his face an unreadable mask. The fact he winked made Columbia feel better. It was a good evaluation. She hoped...

"You joined the ship fourteen months ago." Knox began as he stood up. "Fresh from the Academy, you were, of course, automatically paired up with a senior Doctor to learn your way around Sickbay and ship procedures." He picked up a PADD. "Satisfactory on all counts. Six months later, appointed Gamma Shift Medical Duty Officer. Being in charge during night shift is a pretty impressive achievement so early is a credit to you."

Columbia nodded slightly and felt her heart sink. She sensed the but.

"However..." Knox continued, surprisingly. "You did not excel. You have made some remarkable progress. Medical skills speaking, you're still satisfactory. But that is technical skill and not within my scope. What is, is your skills as an Officer, a leader. You lack passion, a drive for excellence. Pushing the boundaries, increasing your responsibilities, your leadership, your authority."

Knox sighed. "One of the hardest decisions a Captain will make is in regards to their crew. Who will excel with the opportunity. Who will crack under pressure? Doctor Ho, your skills as a Medico won't get you into journals or awards. You're a steady worker. That's good. But will you thrive...?"

Columbia started involuntarily. "Sir, I'm doing my best."

Knox nodded. "I know. And you'll make a very good Medico some day. My problem is I don't have that kind of luxury or time." He picked up another PADD. "Starfleet resources are still spread too thinly and I've been asked to start sending off some of my crew to help round out others. Of all my Medical staff I have picked you to be Chief Medical Officer, USS Carpathia. Congratulations."

Columbia's jaw hung open. It was wholly unexpected. Am I up to the task? Am I even capable enough? "Thank you, Captain."

Knox smiled. "I believe there's an old Chinese saying: May you live in interesting times. Dismissed." He held out his hand, which Columbia shook, then Landers did the same. It was only after the doors closed after her exit that a scream of delight sounded from the other side that both men grinned to each other.

quincyw
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 01:17

"Incoming transmission."

There was no denying it. Columbia Ho enjoyed the night shift immensely. As the Orlando's Gamma Shift Duty Medial Officer she stood watch over an empty Sickbay while most of the crew slept. This was fortunate because her medical skills were not yet "good". So she spent the hours reading textbooks and studying using the EMH to learn.

Once Alpha Shift began, she was placed on standby status and spent that time hovering in Sickbay observing and making notes. Beta shift marked her down time, which after a quick meal, was personal time. Luckily, her roommate worked Beta, so Columbia kept the lights dim, a PADD with a book on it, and Antonin Dvorak's Ninth Symphony (2nd Movement) hauntingly playing in the background.

The transmission call was expected, of course. Once a week, Stanley Ho arranged for the subspace call, which, for a civilian to a starship in deep space would have cost him a princely sum every time. But nobody would ever dare say it out loud to him. Dropping the PADD, Columbia thumbed the channel open.

"Hi, Snow Pea!" Stanley rasped from the screen. Short, round and bald, he was always a fun, energetic figure, but somewhat shy... And wondering constantly how he managed to find a wife and have such a lovely daughter.

"Hi, Billionaire!" Columbia replied automatically and laughed.

"Rumour has it you have news to tell me." Stanley said after the requisite small talk.

"Yeah. I've been transferred." Columbia kept her voice carefully neutral.

"What?!" The Universal Translator had been developed so long ago everyone took it for granted, never giving it a second thought. Capable of translating any language into their native language, it broke language barriers. But for reasons that no one could explain, it had problems with Cantonese. Possibly it was the Hong Kong tradition of homonyms and jokes, it made for some rather interesting translations.

Columbia stayed silent and tried not to smile as her father kept ranting. Both had been speaking English (so as to not have the UT spit out some rather amusing phrases) but he lapsed into Cantonese and using some rather crude words. Since she spoke both, the UT stayed silent and the nice stream of invective continued as is.

Stanley kept jabbering on at high speed. Just before he moved into the realm of suggesting Captain Knox, an impolite actions and a family member or two, Columbia finally held up a piece of paper to the visual pickup. She knew it was impossible to stop him talking otherwise. CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER USS CARPATHIA.

"Ohh, why didn't you say so earlier?" Stanley returned to his good humour and gave a laugh. "You should give him a hug and a kiss from me!"

Columbia made a strangled sound. "He's my Commanding Officer! I can't do that!" She almost toppled out of her chair, face bright red. Both of them laughed for a few minutes. She soon stopped, reminding herself what it was costing her father. "Dad, I-"

Stanley held up his hand. "No need. I'm only doing what any decent and proud father would have done. Besides, you're happy and that's all that counts. But what counts is, I think, your mother would be very proud of you."

"Dad..."

"I'm not finished. Just be yourself and follow your own path. That's what I've taught you and that's how you have lived your life. Just continue to do so. That's all I ask. I know I'm going deep into your sleep cycle now so I'm going to say I love you very much. Make your humble old dad proud."

Since both were tearing up, they could only wave and the screen shut off. Columbia slumped in the chair. Automatically, the music resumed and for a few minutes, she sat there, thinking. Instinctively, she reached into her top drawer. The flat framed photograph was the only thing of her mother that she had. Tall (taller than her dad, at least), hair the colour of hazelnut chocolate, bright, happy expression... Columbia could have been her mother's twin, but she died not long after giving birth, leaving Stanley to raise their only child alone.

With a sigh, she traced her fingers over the picture, then decided to leave it next to the bunk and crawled inside. As the Dvorak came to a close, Columbia fell asleep. Tomorrow, she was going to the Carpathia.

quincyw
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 01:19

The first was prologue. This is the test post. I'm ready to apply now. But tomorrow as I'm going to be on a plane this afternoon.

quincyw
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 09:52

Please approve my application so I can start, I'm getting anxious.

quincyw
# Posted: 1 Mar 2013 03:25

Dear Captain.

It has been two weeks since I applied. You have logged into chat once since I have requested you expedite my application. You have logged into chat twice since my application. You, nor any of your crew have posted since February 7th.

I do not need to resign since I am not a member of your staff. I am hereby withdrawing my application. You are not to use my character or any materials I have created for your ship.

Goodbye.

trekky
# Posted: 21 Mar 2013 17:53

Tim, why cant i log in???? i try to login but it says that my email is un recognized. after i did nothing to get off the crew i was constantly simming. PLEASE EXPLAIN

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.036
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0