· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Favourite SW Character, and Why?
babel
# Posted: 16 Dec 2002 01:33

I'm sure this one must have been done before but here we go!

My favourite is Obi Wan. Not only becasue he was played by two of my favourite actors, though that certainly helps!

I like the way that although he's a Jedi and therefore a very unique individual, he's down to earth. There are more powerful Jedi, wiser Jedi (Obi Wan makes his share of mistakes) but Obi Wan seems to be just a good all round Jedi to me. He's not powerful enough to be arrogant or to get carried away with his status.

The scene with Dex is one of my favourites in AOTC. I think it shows this human, ordinary side to Obi Wan, that and the bar scene (which was also one of my favourites.) When we saw the older Kenobi with Luke, you could see the years had weighed on him, but he was still the same person . . . quiet, calm, and in control of himself, at least. And with humour and compassion, I might add. Everything a Jedi should be, really.

wraith
# Posted: 16 Dec 2002 10:06

heh...thats all true but I still like Boba/Jango Fett for lack of Defel in the movies*chuckles*

The Fett's are/were the ultimate bounty hunters(or so they've been portrayed) but I really like them because they are independant making their own law basicly and the fact that they have all the latest technology for ships weapons gadgets etc. To be truelly my favorite though many changes would have to be made, because I don't fully agree with their ideals and some of the descisions and such and I all around like Star Wars characters in general... so favorites are hard for me to choose, but out of the movie characters deffinatly the Fett's, I tend to like many of the expanded universe characters better as well...and yups*l* there ya are

Wraith

rubi_con
# Posted: 16 Dec 2002 23:03

My favourite character or characters would be Kyle Katarn and Winter.

I'll explain why tomorrow. Peace! :k

babel
# Posted: 18 Dec 2002 02:37

Oh come on! *l* Don't you have favourites?

wraith
# Posted: 18 Dec 2002 10:03

I DO! *points above*  :P

darth_kueller
# Posted: 24 Dec 2002 06:39

My favorite character... uhm... probably Brakiss or Darth Vader.
Brakiss because no matter what hardships he endures he always tends to help his friends. Or those people he thinks are his friends, anyway..

and Anakin Skywalker/ Darth Vader... *shrugs* Just because he's the coolest Sith other than maybe Exar Kun. Also 'cause he actually appears in the movies.  :P

char
# Posted: 24 Dec 2002 12:30

Mara Jade!
Two reasons... Shes a tough chick... second... she married Luke!!!

hal_horn
# Posted: 25 Dec 2002 02:12

My fav character is from the EU. And that is Corran Horn.

I like Corran the most because he is an excellent pilot, an ex-member of Rogue Squadron. Ex-CorSec ( Corellian Security  :P ), and has a good set of rounded abilities. He is loyal to his friends and is not full of himself, and will admit his mistakes and errors. And he is a great Jedi Master, even if he doesnt have telekenesis (spelling? :v ).

Hal Horn

arwen25
# Posted: 25 Dec 2002 19:48

I would have to say R2-D2. What's not to like? He's cute, he's funny, and a smart alek to boot.

I also like Leia, Padme, Mara, and pretty much everybody on Rogue or Wraith squadrons. Corran's great, one of the best EU characters  :)

wedge
# Posted: 25 Dec 2002 20:52

I'd have to say Obi- Wan(come on, valiant knight what else could you ask for?) Wedge(He's human, No fancy force crap!;) or Ackbar(All around the man).

~wedge

nx
# Posted: 6 Jan 2003 08:31

My favourite is Nute Gunray, because he hate Amidala just as much as me. And he has a nice voice.

rag451
# Posted: 9 Jan 2003 21:10

Since I am a strict movie-only fan, I would have to say that my favorite character is the elder Obi-Wan Kenobi as played by Sir Alec Guinness. I was always taken with how mysterious a character he was. He made young Luke Skywalker believe in The Force, and though he was dead, he still guided Luke towards hope when he was nearly frozen on Hoth.

CL4 Robert Griffith

babel
# Posted: 10 Jan 2003 02:29

WAS he dead, though? He disappeared BEFORE Vader's saber cut. It was slo-mo and I can't believe this was a chance thing - it raises two possibilities for me:

1) Kenobi was already dead and so powerful that he wa sable to assume corporeal form

2) He didn't die but became transformed, through his own will and not Vader's saber, into a thing of pure Force energy.

crazytexan
# Posted: 10 Jan 2003 07:07

From what I have read from various Star Wars sites regarding the Old Republic Jedi Order it was believed that once a Jedi died, that was it. Dead was dead. Now in Episode II when Anakin went berserk and slaughtered the Tusken Raiders the scene goes to Yoda and Mace meditating in the Jedi Temple and you hear Qui Gon Jinn shout, "Anakin, no!"
And Qui Gon had been dead for ten years...the mind boggles.

This concerned Yoda and probably woke the Jedi Council up to the fact that Jedi's can possibly transcend death such that their spirits exist in some etheral form. Once again George Lucas incorporates spirituality into his work. One would hope that this is explained in EPIII as well as debunk the Midichlorian aspect of the Force. Sorry, but that spin made it to Trekkish IMHO. I can see Han Solo say, "I don't have nano-cooties controlling my destiny." :P

After seeing Star Wars more times than I can count Obi Wan cleary knows he can't defeat Vader and feels the power of the Dark Side sapping his strength. Knowing that Luke has a destiny to fullfill and that he could still guide Luke in his journey he made his sacrifice. I do believe he did infact disappear just as the saber went through him. You see Obi-Wan close his eyes and focus himself as he surrenders himself to Vader's blade. Perhaps a quick preperatory meditation? He also told Vader that he was struck down he would be more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Which is quite true...Kenobi was able to transform himself with the Force. No small task I'm sure.

Perhaps this new knowledge of the living Force will be explained in some form later whether it be in EPIII or SW novels and sourcebooks. Obviously Obi-Wan, Yoda, and later Anakin can take spirit form.

I would say Babel's second viewpoint seems the most logical...although we will see in May, 2005.

As far as favorite character...tough call. I always liked Han Solo the most. He was an interesting and one of the more complex characters. Although as far as Imperial go, I'd have to go with General Veers. Not only does he lead the attack on Hoth, takes out the shield generator, and sends the Rebels fleeing, more importantly he doesn't fail Darth Vader. He just had the typical Imperial confidence and didn't bumble his way through like other Imperial officers. Doesnt' hurt that he was also the villian in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. *nods*

CT

rag451
# Posted: 10 Jan 2003 09:54

<!--QuoteBegin--babel+Jan. 10 2003,02:29--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (babel @ Jan. 10 2003,02:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->WAS he dead, though? He disappeared BEFORE Vader's saber cut. It was slo-mo and I can't believe this was a chance thing - it raises two possibilities for me: <br><br>1) Kenobi was already dead and so powerful that he wa sable to assume corporeal form<br><br>2) He didn't die but became transformed, through his own will and not Vader's saber, into a thing of pure Force energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>The film was shot in 1976/1977... and I'm sure that the effects were not so good that they could swing a special effects shot so perfectly as to have the lightsaber hitting Obi-Wan at the same instance that he "disappears". Any anomoly there would more likely be a result of effects errors.<br><br><a href="mailto:rag451@sbcglobal.net">CL4 Robert Griffith</a>

crazytexan
# Posted: 10 Jan 2003 11:50

*L* You had to get technical didn't you? :P

But the way it was edited...the camerawork...total brilliance in filmaking for 1977.  I think we're more into the 'why' Obi-Wan choose to disappear, and the whole character development/explaination of the Force, then the 'how' they pulled the shot off.

*L* That is another forum thread though... ;)

CT

wraith
# Posted: 10 Jan 2003 15:21

actually the books kinda do go more into that with exar Kun....or whatever his name was...supposadly he was disimbodied for years and years and still had power enough to influence things and people and apear and do lots of other htings...even drag Luke out of his body..I dun member exactly which book it was on*l* or even exactly what happened...i htink it was actualy mentioned in a combination of books...but they deffinatly can leave their bodies and may be more powerful yet limited in certain ways as well.....sooo yeas*l*

Wraith

babel
# Posted: 10 Jan 2003 23:14

Re Veers, he was also in Doctor Who at least twice. Firstly as Richard the Lionheart and more memorably, as Scaroth, last of the Jagaroth/Count Scarlioni in the brilliant 'City of Death'.  :)

megaman
# Posted: 11 Jan 2003 06:17

is it me or was boba fett blown totally out of proprtion? he makes very brief aperances in the films and on nothing more than looks is elevated to cult status. i'm the first to admit boba looks slick in that outfit of his but does the character really deserve such adoration from people. in a new hope all he does is stand around by jaba, looking slick as he does it but nothing more. then his part grows a bit in the next two films until possibly the most pathetic death in star wars histoy, a blinded man pokes his jet pack on :P was lucas going for a laugh here because it doesn't really work for me that one of the more menacing and dark characters dies a comedy death. i think the character could have been developed more as i'm sure he will be in episode 3. to an extent that brings me onto the way jango fett dies, after an intense encounter with kenobi his battle with windu should have been an epic but instead it last 15 seconds at most, i'm sure this is another forum topic but i couldn't help but mention it.
oh and my favorite character would have to be the emperor as he always seems totally in control of events and plotting constantly

rabid_tribble
# Posted: 11 Jan 2003 14:56

My favorite  Star Wars character has got to be Jabba-The-Hutt!  Anyone who can be THAT fat and not have any health problems is an inspiration!  Anytime I go to the fridge and have to make a choice between an apple or a big piece of cheesecake, I think to myself: "What would Jabba do?"
I always come to the same conclusion. Need I say what that choice is, or isn't it obvious? :D

Plus, the guy gets to have all these slave girls in golden bikinis!    :D  I think this one's a no-brainer: Jabba rules!

However! He really SHOULD get some clearasil for that acne problem!

elly
# Posted: 11 Jan 2003 21:57

I have two words for you people....

Kyp. Durron.

What's not to love about a guy who can destroy star systems at age 18 and is more powerful then Luke himself...plus, did you see his hair? *goes all melty inside*

wraith
# Posted: 13 Jan 2003 15:31

*chuckles* some peeps have the wierdest things.......*dissapers*

sephiroth
# Posted: 22 Jan 2003 16:34

Maybe it's just because i've always had an obsession with villians, but my fav. character is Palpatine.

My opinion of him has gone way up since the release of EpI and EpII, where we see the beginings of how he effortlessly manipulates those around him, rising to power through a cunning combination of Sith arts, Political Manouvering, Whispering in the dark and sowing the seeds of mistrust. He possitively reeks of cold calculated evil and I hope we see more of him in EpIII  

(Oh, and he looked so damned cool throwing that lightning around :k)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0