· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Outpost Video Union
lzrman
# Posted: 13 Jan 2003 15:18

Would you be interesting in having a different type of union?

How about a Outpost Video Conference One?

Using modern technology highspeed and a desktop camera, u can use conferencing software to have a digital conference and such with your fello outpost go'ers :)!

Voice your opinion :)!

Lzrman :)!
Your Unions Bug!

lupus
# Posted: 13 Jan 2003 22:05

The idea is OK, but most ppl dont have the equipment and I would be worryed about who could join the union. I mean, lets face it, unions are usually attended be ppl old timers, not newbies. Plus, as I have never been able o attend a union in the past, I wanna see what its like in RL

Lupus

:v hmmmm, that doesnt really make any sense

rag451
# Posted: 14 Jan 2003 14:47

It took me three years of online time to secure a mircophone, and we all know how cheap those can be. I'm against a video-conference union because I don't think we could pull it off. The A/V quality alone would be a nightmare. I'd much rather have either real unions or just call my friends on the phone.

CL4 Robert Griffith

lzrman
# Posted: 14 Jan 2003 17:39

The way i invisioned this would be as follow.
Those Who have the following would basically meet the criteria.

1. Have a Web-Cam
2. Have a Connection Speed no slower then 128kbps
3. Have a Mic

Then the AV quality will be best, if most were on cable or DSL lines. *points to those w/ T3's* :k

Since most people are switching to brodband i thought this would be a neat but different way to interact, maybe instead of a union, we could maybe have a Video Chatroom, where we chat among ourselfs in face to face mode.

Lzrman :)
A Happy 18th Birthday Bug :)!

rag451
# Posted: 15 Jan 2003 10:33

IMHO, nothing can replace a real, face-to-face union.

CL4 Robert Griffith

lzrman
# Posted: 15 Jan 2003 22:06

Good Point :P! *famous one-liner*

Bug!

jadzia_jones1
# Posted: 16 Jan 2003 16:03

Unless im reading this wrong...i dont think Bugs saying it would be instead of a r/l union...just another way of meeting peeps...lots of 10fers havent got the money or not aloud to go to unions because of age or what ever reason.... for them its a good idea... even if it was just mics would be great  ... and fun :)

rag451
# Posted: 16 Jan 2003 18:03

Last year, I spent about one hundred dollars' worth of my money on phone cards which I used to call various Outpost members. I've logged something like five days of phone calls to these people that I've known for years online. That, for me, is one step towards a real-life meeting. Eventually, there are a few of these people I'd like to meet in real life and give them one massive bear hug.

There isn't a problem with webcams so much as the fact that I thought, from my perspective, that you were wanting to replace and/or suppliment a real union with a video one.

CL4 Robert Griffith

jayneway
# Posted: 17 Jan 2003 06:13

I don't really have a webcam on my 'pooter at the moment, tho I do think the idea's worth some consideration. Just as Netmeeting was three or four years ago in TF for an occasional impromptu en mass gathering with a twist, this seems just a natural if more formalised progression.

Lzr isn't suggesting replacing real-life unions, and I don't really see any objection to them supplementing them either. There is nothing quite like a real-life union, but this suggestion seems to me more about giving people more options rather than supplanting one with another.

lzrman
# Posted: 17 Jan 2003 17:15

I have to agree w/ the peeps on this board, its supplimentary to those who don't have enough money to travel, and have restrictions on what they can do.

I think it would be a great thing, maybe to have one of you guys Talking w/ netmeeting with me or a few others. Mind you 56k is harsh :P

Back in the dayz of the Foxes, they used to chat up on webcams with the executive for a chat in the park. I thought i could bring a new way to chat amoungst yourselves.

Heck i wouldn't mind chatting w/ the foxes or andrew some day face to face, even if its just a webcam its a experience that could lead to a real life meet.

Lzrman :)!

lzrman
# Posted: 14 Jul 2003 11:43

Brings Up a 6 month Old Topic :)

Since the voice chat success's on Yahoo, why not try a Web Conference :) with no other then a net cam ;)!

What you all think?
This weekend?

Lzrman

dierna
# Posted: 14 Jul 2003 12:24

I have a web cam...it's just not hooked up to this comp yet....I've gotta remind my mom to hook it up for me. Im not sure about this weekend tho cuz Im gonna be working all day saturday. Get home at around 9pm.

rag451
# Posted: 14 Jul 2003 13:29

Though six months have past, I am still against such a meeting. While I do have DSL, I think it would be unfair to those with dial-up to have to suffer through the poor quality of most webcams. If we had to have multiple windows open at one time, and had a minimum of five members with webcams, then each computer would certainly be overtaxed in handling such a load.

For now, I feel that voice chatting can be a success without having want for webcam interaction. Microphones are cheaper than webcams, easier to use, and do not take as much out of a system as watching webcams can.

CL5 Robert Griffith

shakeycat
# Posted: 14 Jul 2003 16:51

Those with a 56k or generally slow computer know they are doing this at their own risk.

I doubt really we can get too many (5 is a lot!;) anyway!

-Tanya

wedge
# Posted: 14 Jul 2003 20:29

A bunch of us did it a few months ago, there was 4 i think. It is hard to manage but its still fun none the less. Y'should try it, we used Yahoo.

*waves feet in the air and shows his room off*

~wedge

lzrman
# Posted: 11 Aug 2003 22:49

I'll be getting High Speed Internet on Wednesday............

Those Interested in having a Web Cam Video Conference / Union online *g* let me know.

Those with Highspeed connections are perfered 1.5mb + to get quality.

Im looking for 3-4 people with a decent connection, those with lower then 128k are welcome too :)

Lzrman
Yet i don't have a webcam *l*

lzrman
# Posted: 26 Aug 2003 21:51

So much for highspeed!:o

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.060
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0