· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Do You Speak Elvish?
rabid_tribble
# Posted: 20 Sep 2004 02:31

Just as there is a Klingon language in the Star Trek universe, which many rabid fans decide to learn, in Tolkien's world there's the language of the Elves----Elvish. (Two different forms of the language, I believe?)

This thread is the place where those few among us that might actually speak it can give lessons to the rest of us, the uninitiated that would like to learn it.

The thread can also be used for speakers of the Elvish language to have conversations with other fluent peeps. :)

*whispers* We'll see just how successful this topic will be......*sneaks out*

RT

mcleve
# Posted: 20 Sep 2004 03:38

Aaye, Elen sila lumenn omentilmo.  Amin arwen Vixen, telella. Mae govannen. Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha  

To see what was said, please go to http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/

Arwen Vixen
edhel wen
akh'faern

hongjun
# Posted: 20 Sep 2004 06:10

Hey,

Don't want to be a pain but the grey company elvish though interesting is sort of a mish mash of elvish:)

I think it is better to concentrate on the languages as created by Tolkien and there are some great ones out there.

I know that quite a few Lotr devotees will agree with me there

Try www.councilofelrond.com

Hong

mcleve
# Posted: 21 Sep 2004 00:43

Amin irma quen;<br><br>Very nice site for the fans of LoR. <br><br>Q. What is an Elf?<br> <br>A. Loosely speaking, an elf is a pointy eared, long lived (or immortal, by some accounts), creature with a penchant for nature, music, and the arts. We are not Santa's elves, we aren't Keebler's elves. If you have seen Lord of the Rings, as most of you have, then you should be able to picture us with some degree of accuracy. In a more doctrinal sense, an Elf is a creature either created directly by Eru/Illuvater with the Song of Creation, and the first born of all the races of Middle Earth (Tolkien definition) or a race of beings created by Corellon Larethian. <br><br>As my profile here says I am a Ultima Online player<br>Q. OK, so what's this about a game? <br><br>A. Most of our roleplaying goes on within a MPORPG (Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game) called Ultima Online. This is a computer game, just like any other, with the exception that it uses the internet to connect to a "shard". In regular terms, this is a game you play with thousands of other people at the same time. You start the game, log onto a particular world, and then adventure within it. Ultima Online worlds are very big, and involve a lot more players then just us.<br><br><!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin--><br>Q. What's this about an Elven Language? <br>A. When J.R.R. Tolkien wrote the setting for the Lord of the Rings he crafted an entire world to go with it. Included in that world were the grammatical structure and a rudimentary dictionary for a number of Elven Tongues. Since we roleplay Elves online, we took that dictionary, simplified the grammatical structure and expanded the dictionary heavily. It is not cannon Elven as Tolkien wrote it, simply our own adaptation. Which we like better. Thank you very much.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br><br>As you can see there is more then one way to roleplay a elf, wether it be <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->grey company elvish<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> or the Tolkien.  I just more use to the other since I been playing UO since 1999.<br><br>Arwen Vixen<br>Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha

napolean
# Posted: 15 Dec 2004 07:27

hey I wanna learn elvish. where can I learn? :?  :?  :?  :?  :?  :?

justinviskoc
# Posted: 14 Mar 2005 22:49

I don't like learning different languages. English is fine, thank-you-very-much.

However, I do know a few of the most common words/phrases:

Namarie = goodbye.
Mellon/mellyn = friend/friends
Mae govannen = greetings.
Aiya = hello.

:)

brac
# Posted: 20 May 2005 12:36

Aiya mellon nin! Inyenna Brac! Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo! I know bits and pieces of Quenyan, so I have an understanding of the language.

First, 'Elvish' is not a language, it is a race. Elvish is a adverb of an individual of that race. There are two divisions of Elf-kind(as has been mentioned briefly): Quenyan, and Sindarin. A breakdown of my first words here are:

Aiya = hail, hello, greetings
Mellon = friend
Nin = my
Inyenna = in reference to thyself, "I am"
Elen = star
Sila = shine(s)
Lumenn = hour, time
Omen = (not sure actually, get back to me on that one)
Tielvo = meeting

Unfortunately I haven't spoken Quenya in so long I don't remember much of it(you know the saying = use it or lose) :v

dark_sith
# Posted: 4 Dec 2005 19:32

Elvish what's is next Drawfen Drow, or Dragon?  :)  I know to much....

blake
# Posted: 16 Dec 2005 19:53

Elvish is a good language; although I don't know how to speak it. I'm planning on learning it sometime though.  I'm a big fan of both the LOTR movies and books, and right now I'm trying to learn the Dwarven rune language, Cirth. There is only one spoke Dwarven phrase revealed in the book though:

Baruk Khazad! Khazad Aye Menu!, which means: Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!

So really there isn't much of a Dwarven language, only carved runes.

I've manged to stray from Elven language to Dwarven runes :?  Oh well...

dracmus
# Posted: 17 Dec 2005 08:14

I did manage to find an online course in Quenyan. Downloaded it, must have it some where, if any one is intersted.

It explains alot about the language like gramar, some history and links to sites like using a dictionary.

I learned English in what.... 8 years.... So who knows how many languages I know in another 8 years.

Self studie groups might be usefull.... *g*

babel
# Posted: 15 Apr 2006 08:00

Elvish?

'Thankyouverrymuch, uh-huh-huh!'

Can't believe no one has made that joke already . . . Babel has left the forum!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.050
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0