· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Simming Info Poll 1
hobbie
# Posted: 4 Dec 2005 12:53

What type of roll playing do you like best?

Pleas select the type you preferred the most, if you have any other ideas/suggest feel free to post below as well.
After this poll it would be appreciated to also answer "Simming info poll 2" located here

Note: AD&D online role playing, is a more advanced type of online role-playing based of the AD&D games that are played in real life. Only if there is enough interest an attempt might be made to play that online at OTF as well (LOTR based)

Thanks for your time,
CL7 Dommy
Simming DL
Special operations
Entertainment

christena
# Posted: 4 Dec 2005 13:42

You cannot vote in this poll

You are currently logged in as christena

why does every time I try to vote in a poll on these forums I get this same message? I didn't veiw the results or anything...  ugh! :o  and it's a bit offensive..I might add.. what's so wrong about being christena? :o  :P

dommy
# Posted: 4 Dec 2005 14:03

Well then, what were you going to vote for :P

skevington
# Posted: 4 Dec 2005 14:28

I've been simming for a few years now and i have done just about most types of simming that there are. I have voted for "Forum simming" and here is why. I, personally, hate live simming, like via irc or in another form of chat room. And this is because if you are simming, anyone can post a load of crap to the room and throw whatever you are doing totally off course. I understand that sometimes this is good, and maybe one of the benefits of live simming, but if a person doesn't know what they are doing it really screws stuff up. Also, you need to use some set format when simming live, for example,

+taps+ for communication via comm badge when trek simming

+comm+ for the comm system in general

{{this for telepathic speech}}

Anyway, you cansee what i mean. But everyone needs to understand the commands, and even though they are simple, believe me, people don't always do things as they should and get confused.

Now for e-mail simming, i find it easy for the e-mails to get mixed up and you can get confused. I tried an e-mail sim long ago and my mail box got totally swamped and i got tired of it, and i didn't really know what was going on.

Though with forum simming, everything is laid out nice and clearly and you can see which order it is going in. If there are any problems with posts, moderators can alter them. I have run a few forum simulations in my time, one of which is still going on today after a year and a half, so i think it works well.

On another note, if you do choose to do live simming at some point, and can't do it in one of the chat rooms in OTF for whatever reason, there is a public irc server, irc.federationofsims.net which is directed specifically towards sim groups and the like which anyone can set up channels on,

Dmitri.

monny
# Posted: 8 Dec 2005 01:27

Hi all,

I voted for forum simming as well.
It's often hard to schedule live simms and sometimes people just join in randomly although they hadn't signed up. The characters and the storyline can then get confused etc.

Forum simming will probably be easier to maintain because if someone posts a load of BS (see example below) then it can be harmlessly deleted by the modertor/s.

*Darth Pimpleface decapitates all the Jedi with his triple-bladed light saber*

Good luck with reviving simming/role playing at OTF! :)

dommy
# Posted: 8 Dec 2005 09:18

Thx dutchy monny :D

*hugs*

airen
# Posted: 10 Dec 2005 20:37

Forum simming is the best *nods*

quincyw
# Posted: 11 Dec 2005 04:15

Why not all of them?

dommy
# Posted: 12 Dec 2005 12:37

'cous doing them all at once to start with is a dead wisch before starting :)

DommY

quincyw
# Posted: 16 Dec 2005 00:29

You're running the show, not me. But my recommendation is to see who'll sign up first, then decide whether or not to run it. If no one signs up to any, then that answers your question. But if you don't offer, they won't try.

ohm
# Posted: 28 Dec 2005 16:55

Hey Quincy! *l*

I myself voted for email simulations, for a number of reasons, but mainly because I have had most of my simming experience in such groups. With a good setup (leadership) and a handful of dedicated simmers email simulations are the most rewarding - as well as encouraging a more mature and "literatory," environment. Forum simulations, in my experience, catour for a younger audience (which may be more suited for the simming population in OTF) and also tend to degenerate into "internet," speak.

dommy
# Posted: 29 Dec 2005 05:09

Thank you Ohm,

Some valuable point were made ;)

Greetings;
DommY

jaden
# Posted: 16 Apr 2006 03:43

I am still for Forum simming, its easier, and as Skevington pointed out, its clear and precise and orderly.

WHy confuse your self and suffer from headaches trying to figure out what was last weeks and this weeks? Live simming is too fast and too spontanious, no time to catch up.

So I vote for Forum!! :P@Quincy and Ohmers.

jamesqsoul
# Posted: 17 Apr 2006 03:39

Folks can make decent 'arguments' for all types of simming. I personally like them all, but in order to relaunch Simming to OTF I'd primeraly go with PbEM.

Main reason, convienent.. it's email something that people check daily if not hourly  :P with little effort made by the players.

With a great Moderator and just a handful of people to keep it going they really are much easier to do

(in my opinion :P)

Thankies
James Q Soul

skevington
# Posted: 19 Apr 2006 21:37

Just something small to add... i know of some sims that have made use of multiple formats in the past. For example, the main bulk of a mission would be played out upon any given format, like forum, but at certain points you would make use of chat rooms/live simming to furthur a plot. Parts containing lots of dialogue and character interaction being a good point, as generally people 'joint post' this sort of thing anyway,

Dmitri

jaden
# Posted: 19 Apr 2006 23:00

Email is for lazy people who cant be bothered to lift a finger to click onto a forum. If they cant even do that, they shouldnt bother simming.

gates
# Posted: 6 May 2006 18:44

I've had this thought mulling around in the back of my head for sometime.  "Why don't I simm?"  And here's the answer:  I don't know how!  I've joined countless simm sites/forums that promised me they would inform me of how things worked, and would help me along the way.  Needless to say, I was left out in the cold.  This has left me with a bad feeling about simming.  *shrugs*  Just wanted to put that out there, so that the new and improved Simming Division doesn't make the same mistakes.

CL5 Gates
Entertainment

skevington
# Posted: 6 May 2006 18:50

I know of groups which have employed a mentor system to prevent exactly this thing from happening. Each ship/simulation has designated mentors to aid and assist new members, to show them the ropes and such. Seems like a pretty good idea if you ask me.  :)

Dmitri

presbyguy
# Posted: 9 May 2006 10:39

a mentor system is a superb idea, we could create interactive tutorials, and instead of boring lectures or rules, just have them them learn how to appreciate it hands on in an enviornment designed to get them invlved instead of being deep or engaging for the mre experianced players, this could be done in a forum format because that can be easily structured and controlled but I also theink PBem might be good simply as before they will stay engaged because its in front of their face whether or not they come to OTF and that might be helpful if these are new members not as well associated with the site, and especially for those who are not on much and do alot of school work, because if they check their inbox they almost can't avoid replying of course PBem isn't as shiny or interactive as forums can be but the OTF forums are pretty boring too its a tradeoff really, it might be best to offer a choice or try both for a short time and see which is better.

jared_yacoby
# Posted: 27 Sep 2006 08:17

I go to this RPG, its a Star Trek RPG located here - http://z6.invisionfree.com/USS_ENTERPRISE_F/index.php?

greenknight2
# Posted: 17 Jan 2007 20:37

I voted for live RPG mostly cause then you can have faster reactions, but I wouldn't mind doing a forum-style  one, either.

-tGK

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.043
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0