· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Abel SeaMan Lupus returns from the North Sea
lupus
# Posted: 6 Jan 2006 07:31

Well then me harties. I have returned a 'seasoned' salior to tell thee of the most exiting adventures that can be found in the North Sea in the middle of Dec.

And adventures we had! Half way through the week one of the crew suffered an accident while he was in the rigging. So we had to rescue him out of the rigging. Unfortunatly his condition did not improve, so we got to see how the Coastguard perform a high wire transfer! All very exiting. (ps: John was kept in hospital for a couple of days, and then discharged)

Hull was freezing.

I fell in and out of doors a lot (stupid sea doors) I also fell off the bowsprit, but lets no go there.

Food was fantastic.

Doing the watch system (4 hours on watch, 8 off) as well as normal ship duties was exhausting, but by the end of it I most deffinatly did not want to leave.

I also discovered that I like canvas bunks. They are really vey comfotable. Especially when there is a weather list, or the ship is rolling all over the place.... you dont fall out.

I saw a penguin.

I discovered that there are so many stars when you are in the middle of the sea with no lights.

I also discovered that fishing boats are stupid. We are a Tall Ship, under full sail at one in the morning. It would take us a couple of miles to stop, and would require all hands for bracing to change course, yet they still insist on trawling straight across our course and demanding we get out of their way. Idiots.

I also discovered that I am very good at the helm.

And that it is quite difficult to tie a knot when one is standing 20m off the ground on a yard and you only have one hand spare (the other is holding on for dear life as the ship pitches and rolls about)

I did take a couple of pics. They can be found on my very short blog
They are not really that good since I a) forgot i had a camera untill the last few days b) the camera was a disposable film thing.

Tall Ships Youth Trust

christena
# Posted: 6 Jan 2006 10:37

Wow Lupus! That is so cool! Love the pics and story behind them. Thank you for sharing this. Just out of curiosity, what was your Captain's last name?
THat looked to be so fun. Glad you had a blast and came back to us in one piece.

Cinna :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

lupus
# Posted: 8 Jan 2006 02:10

His name was Derek Fett. Why? Do you know him?

Lupus

dommy
# Posted: 8 Jan 2006 02:21

Arh ... i hope treasure was good as well ;)

Looks cool lupus :D

greets,
DommY

deanna
# Posted: 8 Jan 2006 15:40

That is so cool!

Tell us more :)

~Kim

demonvamp
# Posted: 9 Jan 2006 10:03

So can you tie a slippery cloverhitch one handed :D  ;)

QD

lupus
# Posted: 9 Jan 2006 10:54

yes, sort of. I had figured out that if I first tie myself on with a double figer of 8, I can use both hands to tie the gaskets, and yet still move up and down the safety line.
But, yes, i did have to learn how to do things on handed, both left and right (which then gets really confusing)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.026
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0