· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Arcade Gaming - With MAME.
anth
# Posted: 14 Jan 2006 03:49

Anybody out there running MAME ( the "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator" ) on their PC?

I've had it working for a few days now, and its so awesome i thought i would tell anybody here that does not know about it.

First off, if you don't know what an Emulator is, it lets you load ROMS, otherwise known as game files onto your PC, games intended to be run on another platform. MAME's purpose is to emulate arcade machines. From way back to the days of the late 70's ( the likes of Space Invaders etc ) , up to more modern arcade machines. MAME pretty much handles them all. The limiting factor is how powerful your PC is regarding the modern big games ( i had Star Wars Trilogy running fine, but it was very slow, due to my PC's power ).

Legal Stuff

Remember it is legal to download MAME, but illegal to download ROMS ( games ) you don't own, or have never bought. So, all of you guys that don't own a large selection of huge arcade machines, you'd be very, very, very naughty if you downloaded any arcade games for MAME. :P You will be prompted to delete the game if you dont own the ROM, so if you don't own it...i trust you to delete it. ;)

You can download MAME here....

http://www.mame.net/downmain.html

go for the file "mame0103b.zip"

Getting it working

I am guessing most of you do not want to frak about with command lines? you know that horrible black box that comes up on windows, and confuses the hell out of you, before you can make software work. So, i would recommend downloading a program called Emu Loader which adds a more user friendly and familiar feeling "front end" to the MAME software.

MAME and Emu Loader can take a little while to get the hang of, but the rewards are well worth a little bit of time figuring it out. Plus there is plenty of help out there for those that want to Google for instructions, or hints.

The Games

The ratio of games that worked for me are about 80 / 20 in favour of games that work. I've had alot of fun playing old games, cos i am a big retro gaming fan. But, i have also had a hell of alot of fun playing more up to date stuff.

Arcade machines really do deliver a fast, adrenaline filled gaming experiance. Something we can forget when we play more complex, more thought provoking console games. Arcade machines are all about fast paced action, in other words get it over with fast! Get the next lot of coins in the slot. *L* Well, that doesnt matter with MAME, just hit the "5" key on your keyboard "to drop a coin" into the machine.

I am yet to try a game pad or joystick with these games. But it does support them. I have a game pad on order, so i am really looking forward to that alot.

All your favourite arcade games are availabe to download, i was delighted to see the original Star Wars arcade game again, and even though i am not a huge Street Fighter fan, i have to admit Marvel vs Street Fighter the arcade game, is amazing! There must be over 20 Street Fighter variations to download, the biggest being around 25MB.

The link below will take you to a website hosting hundreds of MAME roms. Remeber, only download if you own the machines. :P

http://www.rom-world.com/dl.php?name=MAME&letter=0-9

quincyw
# Posted: 16 Jan 2006 02:25

I prefer the Sega Genesis ones, since you can save state. :P

*Cough* <a href="http://www.romnation.net"> :? </a> No, that smiley doesn't link to anything.

anth
# Posted: 16 Jan 2006 13:52

Quincy : No problem with mentioning Rom download sites is there? *L* :P I have loads of Roms, many of them from games i already bought *coughs*. It just makes sense to have them running on a PC, rather than having consoles everywhere all over your home! *L* Plus you can save your progress on PC emulators on systems that never had that capability on the actual console, ie NES, SNES, Sega Master System etc.

As for saving games, i don't really feel the need to save a pure arcade games. Saves are more for home console games i think. I like the challenge of getting as far as i can with my 9 credits on a MAME arcade Rom.

If Jadz and i ever move house, and i have a shed / work shop, i'm thinking of making an arcade machine cabinet, with a dedicated PC and monitor inside for MAME roms and every other emulator out there.

About Roms and all that stuff

Downloading roms of games you already own is not illegal. You're just taking advantage of the fact that you can now run the games you already own on a PC too, plus they look so much better on a PC monitor than a TV screen. Of course if anybody was naughty enough to play a rom they never owned! Oh boy! that would be so, so, terrible. :P

When i see Nintendo selling NES titles for the GBA at £15 a time, is there really any suprise at all that Roms are being downloaded and used? I load up about 100 NES games onto my GBA. :P

Doesnt the new Nintendo Revolution support Roms from all the old nintendo machines? I have no idea how? On a flash card port i presume?

Maybe when that kicks in they will start marketing the full capability of their GBA's and Ds's. That being that they can run a hell of alot of the old games out there, Sega, NES, and nearly, but not quite, the SNES. I have all the old Sonic titles for the Master System on my GBA for instance, they run really well.

Plus i can watch movies and listen to Mp3's on my GBA SP. These company's should embrace the Rom culture, and open official sites for them, and then market official flash cartridges, demonstrating the full use of there machines. In the case of the GBA and DS it would kill the PSP over night, if people actualy knew they could be watching the latest movies or TV shows, viewing their digital camera images, listening to Mp3's etc on their DS, just like the guy sitting next to them with his expensive PSP.

I am pretty sure, infact i'm 100% certain that the games company's would be very greedy though, and try to make a huge profit out of official rom sites, and official downloads of movies and TV shows. Therefore fanning the flames of illegal stuff. *L*

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0