· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Pop/Modern Art
skevington
# Posted: 26 Jan 2006 16:01

As i am sure many of you are aware, pop art was the art movement started primarily in the 50's, which reformed the art world, and has ever since caused much controversy amongst critics with its similarities to abstract expressionism and use and emphasis of popular culture.

I have my own opinion regarding pop art, and if asked if i believed it to be trash or otherwise, i would undoubtedly label it as "trash".

Take a look at this...

Click Here

Is that art? What about this?

Click Here

Okay, so I am picking on Tracy Emin a bit here. But in my opinion, art is
supposed to mean something and be more than just a pretty picture, and i can't
open up a topic on pop art without mentioning Warhol.

Is this art?

Click Here

I think, that when you look at a piece of art it should inspire you and
engage both brain and imagination. It should make you look at something
differently, like when experiencing/seeing something for the very first time,
that is in my opinion real art...

Though what is art to you? What are your opinions regarding pop and modern
art forms? I am curious to see what you guys think :P

bria
# Posted: 30 Jan 2006 10:33

I've seen a few "modern art" pieces and thought "I produced pictures like that when I was five years old." In my opinion, stuff like that is a means of making money and nothing more. Once you establish a name, people will buy any crap that's signed with it.

There are definitely a few pieces which have meaning. But when people start making molds of thrown-away furniture, cast the interior of a house in concrete, or glue a black square onto a white square... well I mean, to each their own. They can do what they want. But when they make money with it, I can't help but think there's something wrong with the world.

A friend and I were walking through my local town, and there was a pint glass standing on a post of some sort. Brian called it "modern art". Anything can be modern art. But for me, real art is something that tells a story. Or a feeling, or an atmosphere. It's meant to evoke some kind of response... and I don't mean along the lines of "Hey, that's crap!"

That's my view on it. ;)

brady
# Posted: 9 Feb 2006 08:58

Ohhh.. a fun thread hidden all the way down here.

For me (and most people in the schools of late modernity and postmodernity) Art is Art if someone says it is Art.  Everything else is personal opinion as to what is 'good' and so on.  I'll take one of your examples, Svenja, and try to extrapolate some meaning that might cast the piece (or concepts behind it) in a different light.  You mentioned thrown away furniture.  For me, this is a commentary on how we live in a 'throw away' society where if something breaks (like a toaster, or a chair) it's far easier (and even cheaper) to throw it away and buy a new one than fix the broken one.  In the past, this would be rediculous - but today, it's a reality.  So the concept of thrown away furniture as art speaks to me more about the nature of our world rather than aesthetic alone.  This is only one meaning you could pull from the piece.  Think also about narratives of 'one mans trash is anothers treasure', 'the past as forgotton memories tossed aside', etc.

A famous example of how art points at similar (social) issues is Warhol's stardust shoes.  They work in a similar vein as Warhol's Monroe as Lee mentioned about.  Thy speak to me about a similar narrative that the throw away furniture does.  Commodification, consumerism, mass capitalist consumption.. these are nice cliche buzzwords, but don't let that distract you - we have such an over abundance of 'things', and such an emphasis is placed on our 'things'.  There are lots of other discussions that could stem from this topic, but no-one is probably reading now anyway.  =(

Essentially, it's important to try and get a handle on what the artist was trying to show you or point you towards in his or her art.  For me, late modern/postmodern art in particular (but potentially all art) is about inviting the viewer to consider what is beyond the art itself.  It's about making you question and consider your own world.  

Or something..

demonvamp
# Posted: 9 Feb 2006 10:23

I have a bunch of tissues imbued with tears and mucus. It represents death and misery and I spent all of 3 second chucking it on the floor. That'll be £80,000 olease.

QD, sticking with the classics.

brady
# Posted: 10 Feb 2006 17:52

*l*  Ew.. Snotty art.

lupus
# Posted: 10 Mar 2006 12:55

hmmmmm, i feel that modern art, and art in general is in the eye of the beholder. I have very mixed feelings on this subject.

For instance
Cornila Parkers instalation at the British Tate Modern, Dark Cold Matter; An Exploded View.
The first time I walked into that room, I stopped dead in my tracks. No other peice of artwork has had such a profound impact or reaction from me, or evoked such emotions and creativity.
I spent 3 hours in that room, lit only by one light bulb, in the unnatrual hush that ensues from an audience walking into a dimly lit room with such a fragile peice of artwork, guarded by a steward.
It was amazing. In that time, I didnt actually do that much drawing (as I was ment to) I just could not help my self but stare. I couldnt move my eyes away from it, and the more i looked, the more i got drawn in, until it reached a point when i felt as if time had stopped, and the shed had just exploded, and i was just about to be impaled with shards of glass and splinters of wood, and my brain was working so fast in its final moments of life, that time its self looked like it had slowed down.
Aparently I sat down rather sharply and made a gasping noise. I dont actually remember that, I do remeber a light being sined in my face, and the steward asking if I was all right.
Dark Matter inspired me for my final A-Level art project which was intertwined with inspirations from Damien Hirst's pharmacy installation and the US hit crime series CSI (for thoses who know me, know I have a vested interest in CSI) I was awarded an A* and revieved a comendation from the chief examiner (a very nice letter)

but

in the same day that I visited the Tate Modern, I also visited the Saatchi Gallery(that was when it was still in its old home). Up untill that point, i had had a fantastic day. I believed all modern art was cool. I even sort of liked the pile of bricks that had cost several grand.
Then i discovered a dark side. Images and figuarines that 'artists' like Jake & Dinos Chapman produce make me sick. The obbsession the is shown in their 'artwork' boarders on that of peadiophillia. And what made it even worse was the fact that groups of school children were quite happily running around this 'artwork'. No older than the children portrayed, and being de-sencitised, being lead to believe that it is the norm, being shown that that is Ok. Well, its not. And what is more, it gives adults the same idea. Its sick, disgusting, degrading and morally wrong. Even now i feel quite strongly about it.

Modern Art- Cannot be defined, cateogorised, labeled. It is just another form of expressing oneself. And what is more worrying is, that there appears to be no limits. Especially to those modern artists that only want to provoke a reation, a controversy. The problem with that is, something is only controversal for a short period of time. Think of Tracey Emin. When she first appeared on the art scene, there was a big hoo haaar over her work... but now? One does have to wonder how far an 'artist' will go to get their 5 mins of fame

I have a lot more to write on the subject, but i feel that this essay is enough for one time.

skevington
# Posted: 11 Mar 2006 07:55

Though isn't it the same with anything? I think... as a whole people are becoming more and more desensitized to these things as  they are thrust into our faces. Violence. Crime. Sex. Same with things such as cannabis, as we become more used to it and using it became more acceptable it has become all but legalised pretty much, the same thing will probably happen with prostitution sooner or later.

I think, in some cases art is a reflection of our society and i wonder what things like this say about us? As things are now, art will probably become more and more liberal all in order to provoke that shock reaction from the people who view it, perhaps this reflects that we are becoming a "anything goes" society?

Dmitri

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.017
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0