· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / How come Kirk acted shocked to learn Pike ...
david_c_hall
# Posted: 2 Feb 2006 18:27

How come Kirk acted shocked to learn Pike was once the captain of the Enterprise?  Traditionally when there is a change in command of ship in say the U.S. Navy, the incoming captain greets the outgoing captain and the "You are now relieved" traditional ceremony goes about. It would seem logical that since Starfleet seems to be based on the U.S. Navy, that naval traditions would continue.  Then why is Captain Kirk seemed shocked to learn that Captain Pike once commanded the Enterprise and Spock knew about it.  Shouldn't he have known if he relieved him and assumed command?

babel
# Posted: 2 Feb 2006 23:19

Erm . . he didn't act shocked, though.

anth
# Posted: 3 Feb 2006 00:50

I have to agree, with Babel that is. Kirk was definately not shocked in any way. I don't see how you can arrive at that?

david_c_hall
# Posted: 3 Feb 2006 06:28

Unless my memory is failing I thought when Kirk saw the "ship logs" from the Enterprise and saw Pike as Captain I thought for sure that he reacted like "you were once the captain of the Enterprise?" I know those weren't exact words but that's the impression I got.

crewmannick
# Posted: 3 Feb 2006 08:56

Which episode are you referring to?

babel
# Posted: 3 Feb 2006 11:47

The episode was 'Menagerie, Part One'. I think Kirk was surprised to see the file regarding Talos, and the one ship that had visited it was the Enterprise, while Spock and Pike were serving aboard her.

anth
# Posted: 3 Feb 2006 13:22

Yep. It was the only 2 part TOS storyline. It was a re hash of the very first Trek pilot episode, The Cage.

babel
# Posted: 3 Feb 2006 16:49

<!--QuoteBegin--anth+Feb. 03 2006,13:22--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (anth @ Feb. 03 2006,13:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yep. It was the only 2 part TOS storyline. It was a re hash of the very first Trek pilot episode, <i>The Cage</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>And magnificently done, too! The way Gene took 'the Cage' amd skilfully built a story around it was superb. It wasn't just a case of 'Gee, let;s look back at the old days on the Enterprise!' A gripping and realistic story was written and, as a result, 'The Menagerie' is a triumph. It's definitely one of my favourites.

anth
# Posted: 4 Feb 2006 04:11

I agree with you there Babel. It was a superb episode(s).

I'm quite sure if nobody knew the pilot was out there they would never know it was a blend of pilot and new writing. It was indeed very skilfully done. At that point the pilot had never aired on TV i believe.

The Cage was way ahead of its time. I have always enjoyed it. I'm not suprised it was rejected by the TV studio though. It was too much of a departure from the "B" movie kind of sci fi that was the norm in those days.

The Cage did confirm just how much of a visionary Gene Roddenberry was. It took everyone else a long time to catch up with thinking "outside the box" for plots such as that inside the sci fi genre.

When you look back, and weigh up Spocks character, you draw alot from The Managerie. Character traits that were re-explored in the Trek movies years later.

david_c_hall
# Posted: 4 Feb 2006 07:36

Yeah that was a great episode.  Maybe your right maybe Kirk was just surprised the Enterprise had visited Talos IV because all records of that mission were classified. Instead of Kirk not knowing Pike was the Captain.  But I can still see how it could be misinterrepted.  Anyway I don't think the cage aired until 1986 because I think In saw it on TV as part of the 20th Anniversity of Star Trek.   I like how they changed things a bit from the cage to show Pike restored to health going down the elevator shaft with that girl, with Kirk watching instead of what actually happened in the pilot.  Anyway is THE CAGE included in the TOS Box sets?

anth
# Posted: 4 Feb 2006 15:04

Yep, it is on the box set DVD's. Both pilots are.

Then the set moves on to season 1 proper.

Well worth getting. :)

babel
# Posted: 6 Feb 2006 12:50

Wasn't in mine! :(

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.024
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0