· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Phill's Quick Guide to Customizing Windows XP
aceman_67
# Posted: 16 Feb 2006 11:20

I got some questions on an other site on how I modified my visual styles on my winXP box. so here's how I did it.

All the files Listed below are free, and are free of Spyware/Adware/Viruses (I use them on my machine, and I've never had a problem, I have also scanned them with Norton Anit-virus 2005 with the latest updates, and found nothing)

Example of my desktop: http://www.deviantart.com/view/29115604/

Warning!!
These instructions will modify your system files and only work on Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Installed. It is your responsiblity to take the necessary steps to make sure your computer is fine should something go wrong. Create a System Restore point, and/or back up important files. You have been warned, and I won't be offering any help should something go wrong.

The most easiest way to do this is to download a transformation pack like the Windows Vista Transformation pack, or the Mac OSX Flyakite Pack, both will do all the steps that will be listed below. Here are the links to the packs:

Windows Vista pack: Clicky Click 31.5mb
Mac OSX Transformation pack: Clicky Click 29.3mb

I personally like (And recomend) the Mac theme, as the Windows Vista theme can be finiky at times and likes to screw up on some systems.

But if you like to do it the hard way, here's the instructions for enabling Windows XP to use custom Visual Styles.

To do this, you need to download the Universial UXTheme Patch, this will allow you to use 3rd party Visual styles: Clicky Click 829kb

Before running this program, I suggest making a back up of the UXTheme.dll file, which is located in your C:\Windows\System32\ folder. Just copy the file to a different folder for safe keeping.

Once that is done, your system is patched, and you can add new visual styles.

A good place to find themes is Deviantart.com, There are others, just do a google search for "Windows XP Visual Styles"

To install a theme, just unzip them into your C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\ folder on your computer, and use the Appearence Tab in your Display Properties window to change themes like you normally would.

There you go, Enjoy!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.017
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0