· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Balance of Terror
babel
# Posted: 1 Mar 2006 15:42

What a wonderful episode. It has it all; dramatic tension, great writing, superb acting, wonderful suspense. We do not know if Kirk and his Enterprise have the beating of the Romulan ship and its wily commander. It comes down to captain v captain . . .  and the Romulan is very nearly Kirk's equal.

I could run out of superlatives regarding this episode. Wonderful writing, acting, direction . . . . the episode boils down to Kirk v. the Romulan commander, and they are extremely similar characters. Except . . the Romulan is weary, whereas Kirk is eager. And this tells; Kirk goes all-out for the kill, whereas the Romulan simply wants to get home after achieving his mission. Kirk wins due to his greater competence, but also his sheer will to win. To quote another episode, 'A crime has been committed. And out here, we're the only policeman.'

There's a lot more to say but I'll hold fire for now in case other Trekiies want to have their say. I hope you, do, on this, one of the finest TOS episodes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0