· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Spyware Protection Act?
norrisa
# Posted: 11 Apr 2006 16:50

Major Anti-Spyware companies?  Who needs them anyway.

Pending new legislation in Oklahoma will let Microsoft, and major companies search your computer for not only spyware, but search and prevent unauthorized use of or fraudulent or other illegal activities in connection with a network, service, or computer software, including scanning for and removing computer software without the users knowledge.

"It prohibits individuals from taking things as basic as your home address, your first and last name, passwords, any personal identification numbers you have, biometric information, Social Security, tax IDs, drivers licenses, account balances, overdraft histories — there is a clear prohibition on that,"

However, Section 6 of the act says such a prohibition “shall not apply” to “telecommunications carrier, cable operator, computer hardware or software provider or provider of information service” and won’t apply to those companies in cases of “detection or prevention of the unauthorized use of or fraudulent or other illegal activities.”

When a user accepts Microsoft’s Windows operating system on that new computer, or other online-upgradable programs, that user agrees to being watched by the company.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/04/11/1630211.shtml

Andrew

skevington
# Posted: 13 Apr 2006 18:58

Nice to see that our rights are being gradually chipped away at one at a time by corporations such as this. Thank you, Mr Gates, i eagerly await the next episode in the ongoing comic saga that is Microsoft.  :)

Dmitri

richard
# Posted: 14 Apr 2006 10:54

hmmmm.... I've been thinking about it for some time, but the time to switch to Linux is coming closer by the day.

maxmeieriii
# Posted: 14 Apr 2006 13:19

Either Linux or Mac... Shame we all can't just go in and go back to the good old days of CLI (Command Line Interface). Oh, wait... that's right, ASCII is dead... *l*

Nowadays, you've no clue where your info goes... even on secure sites, they still send out info, unless you opt-out, which usually requires reading fine print...

Those are my two cents.

hobbie
# Posted: 14 Apr 2006 14:39

I wouldn't really have a problem with it, personally. I'm not sure how effective it will be from a security point of view, but I suppose it's worth a try.

And there's a difference between being allowed to monitor and being allowed to share the information collected with other bodies. If they passed a law on that, I might worry about privacy.

Plus, I don't live in Oklahoma. :(

richard
# Posted: 15 Apr 2006 13:23

My biggest problem is that large corporations and governments tend to take away our rights and our privacy little bits at a time. As soon as we get used to it another little bit is taken away.
I for one don't WANT to get used to that idea.

maxmeieriii
# Posted: 16 Apr 2006 02:42

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Sadly, thus is the life of the standard peep in the USA...

The whole "Big Brother" thing can be over-rated at times, but in this case,
it's justifying its point it seems.

What I see possibly happening, is this going nation-wide, and it would in
theory screw anyone with illegal software. I know a lot of people who have
illegit stuff, myself included. I'll keep my eyes on this since I'm quite
interested on how this pans out...

*PGP signs for the heck of it*

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP Desktop 9.0.6 (Build 6060)

iQA/AwUBREIRgdr4zXs5L6OsEQL3vgCgus7d+yDEL1kil1dKA0EOJMf9KqQAoJNA
riAzodR8hAf6qZPz87Wxg0CF
=uORl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

polson
# Posted: 17 Apr 2006 12:51

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a detective so my mom and dad bought me all kinds of "spytech" toys, you know, glasses with rear view mirrors, hand held microscope, stuff like that. And I made my cousin Zack and I t-shirts that said "Life's a Mystery" on it and we named our detective agency "Top Secret Detectives." Our rivals were Zack's brother Josh and his cousin Steven, and their name was "Life Boys" but they didn't have t-shirts, or spytech. So, we were cooler. But they had a better base because they could beat us up if they wanted to. I don't want to be a detective anymore, but I do like guns.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.019
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0