· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Violent games make people more tolerant to drugs
seele01
# Posted: 12 Apr 2006 07:35

Well this has to be posted.  Apparentely a "study" has found that playing violent games makes you more tolerant to drugs.  You can read this link http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63872 for more info and if I find this study I will link it to.  Now maybe its just me, but I play a manner of violent games and I don't do drugs.  Why??  Because my parents taught me that was wrong.

Feel free to comment.

anth
# Posted: 12 Apr 2006 16:59

Here we go again! *L*

GTA is really the one they like to bash! *LOL* I'm not a GTA fan. But, i'll defend anybody who is. This whole thing is just plain stupid.

I was there at the start, when it was the "space invaders will rot your brains!" stuff being said in 1979. Now i'm old, 36, i suppose i am supposed to switch sides on the argument. But, i still love gaming, i still say these people who say this stuff are idiots who know nothing.

Seele, i dont need to say anything more than you said. For me you are right on the money. No kid is going to use drugs cos he blew away a drug dealer in GTA. If he has been brought up properly, then he can play 24/7 and not be effected.

I find modern games fun still. Even if they are violent at times. Bloodrayne 2 was violent, and gory, i found it hilarious though. I got bored and gave up playing it, but still. :P No kid is now ok with draining blood and killing people becuase of that game though. Bottom line is you'd have to be so disturbed in the first place to be effected, same with drugs and GTA.

I have spoken out about drug dealing simulator games linked from OTF in the past. I didnt think that was right from this family site. To me though, the movie like GTA kind of stuff is ok, there is also an age restriction on GTA and other simular games.

seele01
# Posted: 13 Apr 2006 19:14

Why are you the only one to ever reply Anth.  I have to admit I haven't played anything too violent, except maybe soul caliber.  But then most of my games are made by Nintendo and i buy games for the fun, not caring if there is any violence in them.

I have to admit that I am now a bit concerned for the Revolution controller because of the fact that it allows you to go through the motions of the act, for example, swordplay, you are now swinging the controller to fight such as in Red Steel (really should get to posting that one) as well as having a gun which you fire using the controller, which will no doubt make uninformed think that it teaches kiddies guns and swords and killing are okay.

I am sure that this will be picked up in time and the whole games are bad thing starts again.

anth
# Posted: 14 Apr 2006 02:52

Seele : i dunno why it's just me. *L* But you do get plenty of views, and i suppose thats a plus. If you look at a gaming magazine, there's far more readers than guys who write into the letters pages. *L*

Good point about the revolution controller. It could be made ok depending on the style of games released. Substitute a sword for a light saber and it doesnt seem so bad, or give Zelda the sword instead of some psycho guy in a hockey mask, and the sword seems ok too. I hope, and expect Nintendo to get the balance right. They have a wonderful image to protect. You can take the realism out of violence with fantasy elements etc.

Super Smash Bro's has just as much violence as Street Fighter for example, but who the hell is going to complain about Mario hitting a pokemon? :P

I am not a huge fan of realistic violent games. For example i hate WW2 games and Black ops type first person shooters. I do kind of believe some kids think they could actualy be ok, and kind of enjoy landing on the beaches of Normandy in WW2 cos they can ace it on a console. The reality was horrendous, anything that makes Wars seem fun or easy is not great in my opinion. But, i do like Battlefront and Republic Commando alot. Same type of games, but the situations are fantasy which makes it ok in my head at least.

I saw the Red Steel screen shots for the Revolution. Looks like the wand type thing controls the gun sight and fire buttons? The other controller your movement through the environment?

seele01
# Posted: 14 Apr 2006 21:02

Yep, the controller is the gun and the sword with the attachment controlling movement.  The game works by making you have to learn how to use your weapons and deciding whether or not to spare lives.  Apparentely at the start you aren't that good with the sword but as you train, your attacks become more accurate.

As for WW2 games I have played my fair share but none had the same effect as Call of Duty on Veteran for me.  Playing through that makes you realise that as bad as things in the game were, reali life would have been alot worse.  The Stalingrad level is a good example as they just told the soldiers to run, if you had a gun you were lucky (assuming you actually got to shoot it), otherwise you were fodder.

Oh and I don't think anybody complained about being able to beat up Pikachu.  Fantasy violence isn't considered as bad as real violence hence why its always okay to kill swarms of zombie's.

Well anyway I should get to posting some news now that I might have some time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.018
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0